Phantom Regiment guard rumor

I'm sure I am missing your point, but I don't get it. It was handled poorly from a PR standpoint; anyone with any PR knowledge or experience would definitively agree. "Let go" directly states Phantom terminated, released, or whatever word you want to use... Adam Sage. What value does it serve the organization to validate this instead of simply confirming he is no longer with Phantom or, as others have correctly suggested, spin it positively by taking the high road? This has nothing to do with PC... this was a Board Member... a senior official with the organization... to cry foul because he simply used the wrong words or wasn't being PC is bogus. As far as always being able to saying something "better", that's why it should be handled by a PR person, which was my point. They are trained to say things "better." God forbid we hold drum corps organizations to the same professional standards as companies in private industry. What a horrible thought.

No they would not agree.

My point was simply that these right words change. He said a phrase more in the grey than clear. Some would say it was wrong. Others say it was fine. Yet others might say released, parted ways, ect are also tacky. It is where you draw the line. PR is an every changing keeping up with the jones (and constant fear of people saying you were wrong). He does not deserve this bashing given the statement he made.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow can we please get a life?

If anyone on here has a HUGE problem with how this was handled, or how Greg came on here and said let go, then email the board of directors. Their emails are all on the Regiment website. Making a stink on here is dumb and a waste of internet space.

Adam Sage is gone, can we please just accept the fact, move on, hope Adam has success in his future, and hope Regiment gets a great replacement for him (which I'm sure they will).

Congratulations again on your championship Regiment. Well deserved!

Well, Greg Newell did start the thread, so it should be expected that if anyone has a problem with the wording of his message would post their concerns here. I am sure Mr. Newell has been reading all of the responses.

doesn’t Phantom have a PR person

Everybody with Phantom is a PR person. :sad:

or at least a primary person responsible for PR releases?

That would be the brass staff. :drool:

Just a little levity..possibly VERY little!

No they would not agree.

My point was simply that these right words change. He said a phrase more in the grey than clear. Some would say it was wrong. Others say it was fine. Yet others might say released, parted ways, ect are also tacky. It is where you draw the line. PR is an every changing keeping up with the jones (and constant fear of people saying you were wrong). He does not deserve this bashing given the statement he made.

Again we disagree. Perhaps your experience with PR or HR exceeds mine, but I am comfortable with my educational and prefessional credentials on the subjects. When it comes to employee separations, only under certain specific circumstances is it ever in an organization’s best interest to proactively announce they have “let go” or “fired” an employee. It only makes the organization look responsible if the “firing” was mandated by a breach of ethics, moral code, etc. Otherwise, there is rarely any positive to be gained by the organization, which BTW is responsibility of a BOD member.

If his words should have been “better” then he should fix them by restating the announcement… that’s also a responsible PR tactic, but I’m guessing that’s a moot point. So the world now knows Phantom Regiment had the upper hand and they “canned” Adam Sage. And this accomplished exactly what for Phantom Regiment?

i don't know what all this shouting is about...

Usually, personnel matters are private between an employer and an employee. If somebody isn't working for somebody anymore, it's usually anybody's guess as to the reason; i.e., if somebody was pushed or if they jumped. Using the words "let go", to some, could imply a situation other than resignation.

Edited by NVCadet

"Phantom Regiment Winter Guard will not be taking the competition floor this winter. The Regiment winter guard was based out of Atlanta, Ga., and (was) under the direction of Adam Sage." i added whats bold

from phantoms site, is the way it was said much better than "let go"? can people just "let go" of how he phrased it, accept that he got "let go"?

boy am i being a #### disturber with this one... :drool:

then answer my question again:

who would want him?

and

where would he want to go?

Again, don't let emotion get confused for fact. This thread was created in response to a rumor. Greg was confirming the rumor. He was putting the rumor to rest. But, as all things DCP go, no one wants to focus on the fact. If you are disputing the MANNER in which Greg stated the facts, then that is a preference and opinion. Not a fact.

Well, Greg Newell did start the thread, so it should be expected that if anyone has a problem with the wording of his message would post their concerns here. I am sure Mr. Newell has been reading all of the responses.