Future DCA Championships.

DCA has a heritage in Rochester since 1974 / Drum corps from around the world have performed in Chicago since 1929.

Rochester has had the biggest DCA crowd ever in 1996. That was 12 years ago...aren't these things supposed to get bigger, not smaller?

2007 was goal line to goal line, I'm sure other corps home show from around the country could boast the same thing.

Rocherter has regional proximity to 1/2 of the corps, sooo the other half don't count. Nice

DCA has alwys been a labor day gig /....and? We can't find another field in the entire united states open on larbor day?

DCA must cater to the fans. Valid, but there are many, many fans outside the north east, but it is a gamble to move too far away. Keep in mind out of state fans do travel to DCA now, why can't fans from the East caost? But point taken, it is a money thing first and foremost.

DCA has established relationships, and scorched others. So how did they make those relationships to begin with? By going there. It dosen't just happen overnight, and no one expects it to.

DCA is now and will always be a NE gig / silly arrogent nonsence that propogates the idea (even though I know it's not true) that non Eastern corps don't matter.

Now before I get ripped, Rochester did an awesome job last year, logistics were taken care of, housing available, practice facilities (though the ground in Rochseter was like the surface of Mars in places lol) I&E, the local authorities, planning done to a T. To use the phrase (and God I hate it) it really did go off without a hitch (theres $1 for someone in there I'm sure). The issue I have is that if we allow DCA to stay on the E. coast, how is it supposed to grow? Leave out the money that other corps would save, and look at the big picture for the orginization. It will stagnate, as it has done for years. The problem is we have no idea what would happen if we did move it. And that's a make or break type of gamble. So your kind of between a rock and a hard place.

So hear's the way I see this going down in the very near future (10 years)

A. Real live DCA circuts start to develop around the country, Mid west needs 3 or more real corps, same with the south, and the West needs 4-5 before anything can really be done. Real divisional titles, real compotition, real money for DCA to expand and move farter west then Philly. With more and more corps popping up this is encouraging.

B. The more likley of the 2. Gas prices climb to a point where even succsessful (from a monotary standpoint) western corps can't afford to travel. The signs that this is comming will be the sytematic failings of smaller, less funded corps. Now this may seem a bit apocolyptic, but most jr and non Eastern DCA corps already have fuel costs that match or exceed their equiptment food and staff costs. If something isn't done, and soon drum corps in general will start to feel it very soon.

can you guarantee you'll get 9-10k fans. really that's what you need so the corps make money. You won't get all the eastern fans out there...can the midwest bring up the slack? We were told Winston Salem would generate great crowds. 3500 people showed up in a 70k seat stadium. Given all that was shelled out to get corps there, did the promoter come close to making money?

DCA can't afford to lose money running finals, because then the corps make nothing.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>The police and security people in and near the stadium.... complete opposite from Scranton. You ask them for help (directions or whatever), and they answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

<snip>

Fran

I never had any problems with the famous Scranton Gestapo. But a couple of Rochester cops managed to crack me up two years ago.

I was walking to my car and stopped by two police officers to ask directions to the Interstate. One very politely gave me the information and patiently answered my questions. As I turned to move on, the other cop says, intentionally loudly, “See you back here in ten minutes.” I start laughing, but the other cop has the topper, “Bring doughnuts.”

A far cry from the Scranton stories I’ve heard.

Well, they are building Red Bull Stadium in Harrison, NJ.

Can always wish.

I never had any problems with the famous Scranton Gestapo. But a couple of Rochester cops managed to crack me up two years ago.

I was walking to my car and stopped by two police officers to ask directions to the Interstate. One very politely gave me the information and patiently answered my questions. As I turned to move on, the other cop says, intentionally loudly, “See you back here in ten minutes.” I start laughing, but the other cop has the topper, “Bring doughnuts.”

A far cry from the Scranton stories I’ve heard.

Speaking of Rochesters Finest............The wife and I, having left the bus, walked to the corner across from the main gate to Paetec. You can imagine the traffic. Yep.....just the two of us. Without hesitation the officer stepped to the street........halted two lanes of traffic as though we were traveling dignitaries and said...." enjoy the show". Doesn't get any better. :thumbup:

I don't know the SoCal stadiums enough to make a recommendation....excepy maybe Santa Barbara City College, where the last CA show was held in 96...can you imagine a West Coast finals on the beach?? WOOO-HOOO!!!

sbcc.jpg

Wow...... you can't beat that view, for sure!!!!!

Fran

What don't you agree with in his post? anything? Bueller? Bueller?

Give me a break

DRAMA...DRAMA...DRAMA.. Don't you just love it!! This should be a new TV Series in the Fall.... "DCA" The mini-series... Really, I'm fine and just enjoying all the conversations. I LOVE that people have different thoughts. What fun would it be if they didn't!! I DO love what I'm doing or I would simply say I'm done. There are others who could step in (they would NEVER do as good as I do) but they could try!!! (Now I'll get attacked for that - IT'S A JOKE!) I just crack myself up!!

Well, I just got back from the beautiful state of Minnesota and I would love to see DCA have championships out there someday! What a great bunch of drum corps people, terrific facilities, performance venues and lots and lots of polite, respectful, drum corps savvy fans!!

:thumbup:

Peace,

Dennis

DRAMA...DRAMA...DRAMA.. Don't you just love it!! This should be a new TV Series in the Fall.... "DCA" The mini-series... Really, I'm fine and just enjoying all the conversations. I LOVE that people have different thoughts. What fun would it be if they didn't!! I DO love what I'm doing or I would simply say I'm done. There are others who could step in (they would NEVER do as good as I do) but they could try!!! (Now I'll get attacked for that - IT'S A JOKE!) I just crack myself up!!

Ya know.... that WOULD make a great Reality Show.

Kinda like Bravo's "Flippin' Out."

Scene 1: Allen Buell slams down the phone. "The Blousemen's practice field grass length is 2 inches and they SAY they specifically requested a grass length of 1.75 inches."

(quick cut away shots of furrowed brows, clenched jaws, and darting eyes)

Fade to black.... ShamWow commercial begins.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb