Why do you post on Drum Corps Planet?

An open question based on general curiosity, nothing else; though I’m relatively certain that at least some people will read a lot of different things that are totally unintended into the question. There is in fact no intended purpose beyond satisfaction of personal curiosity.

As I browse through the various threads I‘ve begun to wonder what regular posters perceive to be their primary purpose in posting on Drum Corps Planet? I don’t necessarily mean how it is being used by posters at the present time, but why you personally participate, and what you feel you receive from participating?

I realize, of course, that there is no single answer to my question. There is also no right or wrong answer(s). There would appear to be some obvious answers which might give us a starting point for discussion. Some obviously post to promote or defend their favorite corps. Some appear simply to be seeking some degree of personal attention for themselves or their viewpoints, Some post to discuss or promote various issues about which they feel strongly. Some it would appear have a lot of free time for whatever reasons, and they appear and reappear on almost every imaginable post. My assumption, and it’s only an assumption, is that at least some of those people use Drum Corps Planet as an entertainment medium to some degree.

There are also a number of posters whose purpose it would appear is to convince other posters of the validity of their viewpoint, no matter how many posts it takes to do so. There are others I believe who are frustrated because they believe a small number of people make decisions that affect the activity in ways they find personally objectionable or counterproductive for the activity as they believe it should operate, and they consider Drum Corps Planet their only outlet to air their grievances.

A large number of posters I have noted share the viewpoint that everyone is entitled to have an opinion on anything, and that is absolutely the truth. Opinions don’t require pedigree. In most discussions in life, however, opinions are weighted at least to some degree by the credentials of the person offering the opinion. The anonymity of most posters on Drum Corps Planet eliminates that common element in human discourse. That is neither a criticism nor a complaint. It is solely an observation. I think there are those who must consider that important on Drum Corps Planet as well, since they mention their credentials or lack of them in the body of their posts.

So to return to the question; if you are a regular poster on Drum Corps Planet (“regular” defined any way you like), what is your primary purpose in posting and what do you feel you receive/accomplish from/by doing so?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I post, because I like to speak my mind.

I like to express my opinions and various ideas on an activity that I love and I get input from my fellow fans. Its a way to connect with people who love the same things that I do.

I post because of the pay. The more squares by your screen name, the higher the salary...

WHAT??? We don't get paid for this?? Augh!! All that precious time wasted?? No wonder I haven't seen any checks in the mail. My wife is gonna kill me...

Ok, seriously, I post because I want to voice and hear the opinions and stories of my fellow drum corps enthusiasts. Admittedly, it is somewhat of an ego boost when you have random strangers comment positively on what you posted. But my main reason for posting is to get questions answered, to voice a concern, or to add to the discussion of past events.

I post because of the pay. The more squares by your screen name, the higher the salary...

WHAT??? We don't get paid for this?? Augh!! All that precious time wasted?? No wonder I haven't seen any checks in the mail. My wife is gonna kill me...

Then I guess Jeff Ream is REALLY gonna catch #### :thumbup:

Ok, seriously, I post because I want to voice and hear the opinions and stories of my fellow drum corps enthusiasts. Admittedly, it is somewhat of an ego boost when you have random strangers comment positively on what you posted. But my main reason for posting is to get questions answered, to voice a concern, or to add to the discussion of past events.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

For some odd reason I like to check to see if anyone has agreed/disagreed with me.

Its nice being able to talk to those who can actually discuss this subject. Most of the time I have to just explain what Drum Corps is to people I know. At that point the topic is dead and I have nothing more to contribute since it would be a waste of time. Here everyone is pretty much on the same page which is nice.

I've just recently joined out of curiosity since I never bothered to create an account. My activity on DCP will probably dwindle as school starts up again.

Because nothing's going on on Lostpedia lately.