Worst stadiums ever

I remember the worst stadium I ever went to for drum corps. It was a little town in Illinois(can't think of the name of the town now) where they used to hold a fair . So you would be watching the corps show, and you could watch the carnival rides at the same time. The bleacher seats were so small, if you weighed over 120 lbs your butt wouldn't fit in the spot assigned to you. The bleachers were also so low. I think it only went up maybe 25 rows. I don't remember seeing it on the calendar for this year. I think I only went to that one 3 or 4 times. Then they started scheduling it opposite another show on the same night, with better lineups and better stadiums, otherwise I suppose I would have still gone.

So what is the worst stadium you have been to, and do they still host a show?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the worst stadium I ever went to for drum corps. It was a little town in Illinois(can't think of the name of the town now) where they used to hold a fair . So you would be watching the corps show, and you could watch the carnival rides at the same time. The bleacher seats were so small, if you weighed over 120 lbs your butt wouldn't fit in the spot assigned to you. The bleachers were also so low. I think it only went up maybe 25 rows. I don't remember seeing it on the calendar for this year. I think I only went to that one 3 or 4 times. Then they started scheduling it opposite another show on the same night, with better lineups and better stadiums, otherwise I suppose I would have still gone.

I think you're referring to the Dixon Petunia Festival. I marched there in my first year of corps- and yes, it was a pretty bland stadium.

The worst stadiums I can recall marching at were Ottawa IL (no show anymore) and the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

wasnt there also a building right behind the field too... that only went about to the 50 yardline... so about half the field got a backfield reverb, and the other didnt. that was awesome. and the show field grass was pretty long as well.

Two stadiums stand out as particularly bad to march in. One is at Fauquier High School in Warrenton, VA. Long, dense grass. Also, the Citrus Bowl was suprisingly bad to march at. The grass was patchy, and they had just repainted the lines and hashes before we went on. Our black shoes got covered in white paint which was a real pain to get off.

Yea, Dixon was pretty bad (just the show site, not the town, it's actually a nice little town on the Rock River). One year when I was with the Colts, we did parades in the Chicago area the morning of the 4th of July, then drove across Illinois to Dixon, did a parade there, then did the show. The best part was sitting on the river banks, watching the fireworks after the show.

My vote for worst stadium...I think it was Fon-du-lac, WI (apologies to eastern Wisconsin residents if I'm remembering incorrectly). It must have been a high school stadium (although I've seen Jr. High schools with larger stands). The stands were wooden planks, about 8-10 rows worth. The pressbox was more like a treehouse on 4 poles, and there were maybe 100 people there. It felt more like we were rehearsing at some Jr. High somewhere, except the rehearsal was in uniform and judged.

The old, original Ames Field in Michigan City. The bathrooms were flooded before the shows began. There were only ten rows, but they wrapped around to the side as it was a baseball stadium.

The best stadium? The new Ames Field in Michigan City. Same location but facing the other direction.

UW Whitewater... (the mosquito Capital of the World)

The Pontiac Silverdome ... (aptly nicknamed "The Barn" for the echo)

Olympic Stadium in Montreal ..( approx. 100 meters (Canadian measurement) from the stands)

CNE Stadium in Toronto.. (approx. 100 miles (American measurement) from the front stands)

and also (but definately not finally)... Univ. Alabama-Birmingham... ( nice place in the midst of a total ghetto... 79 horn line would have been mugged during warmups if there weren't close to fifty of us!)

sorry for showing my age....... BUT

my favorite stadium and sentimental favorite................. DILBOY FIELD IN SOMERVILLE, MA

Was Pittsfield the stadium on the baseball diamond, that was in front of the other side of tracks that you had to cross to get to the show? Or is that another stadium?

If it was, man - that was a horrible drum corps stadium.

West Covina. 12 Renegades and 7 Dream members from 2003 are still trying to find their way out of the potholes.

Garry in Vegas