Lesson in Representing Your Corps

I don't know where everyone found the impolite Paetec people or incompetent DCA people. I saw some things that were really well handled and if a possible problem was coming-these people handled everything politely and with humor and firmness. I was at the corps entrance when 4 older people came up with tickets to get in. When they were told they had to go to the gate just to the east, the one lady said, "my husband has quite a bit of trouble walking, can't we get in here?" Rather than get into a confrontation or be impolite, the gate people explained, calmly, the rules. Meanwhile, another DCA guy ran after a DCA golf cart and got the man a ride to the east gate. Problem solved-nobody got mad and I think these people had a positive experience. There was also an issue with a parking lot problem before the alumni show that was handled so well by the RPD that some of us are still talking about it! I'm not going to describe it-I don't want to get those RPD guys in a jam-but they recognized the problem, solved it and went on their way. Try to imagine 3 complete alumni corps trying to find parking places on Oak St! And another thing-nobody better bad-mouth my buddy Tom!!!

I think it's a combo of long memories of the security behavior at Scrantonand some people who deem ANY rules to be a civil rights violation.

I didn't have any problem getting in or out in 06....but like Tom said a while back, things have changed.

I DO think, however, that exceptions should be made for those who clearly demonstrate difficult in moving...if you're on crutches or a walker, you should be let in the nearest gate.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a HUGE distortion of the truth and should be dismissed by anyone reading this thread.

First off, I didn't even mention when during Finals this occurred so how are you sure this is the same incident? I can verify by what corps was on the field and the last words coming out of the young womans mouth. I can also say what the female gate keeper said afterwards but not sure if the corps members heard it. (IMO - pretty good one...)

Second, I'd love to hear the other side of the one I saw. Think I missed the beginning of the go round so a blow by blow account might be enlightening.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.. We were told by our staff that They were told full uniform only. But then again, we were the secondcorps on that day, so perhaps by the time you guys were ready to be let back in, someone else had complained enough that they relaxed the rules a bit? hard to say.

overall, still a GREAT weekend!!!!

agreed, and agreed. sorry I didn't know you were there Stu - as a fellow 'gravitationally challenged' person, I would have liked to reintroduce myself, at least what's left of me.

you look great, man! see you next year.

Thanks Gary...

nice to have a guy with a Rifle behind my back...

:thumbup:

I found the stadium staff to be competent and polite. When trying to enter an empty non-corps gate near the souvie area, I was told we needed to enter from the other side of the stadium. He explained that it was a DCA officials rule and not his, understood. I went all the way around to the corps entrance that was heavily occupied by corps and pit equipment entering and leaving the field with a tight time schedule. As I walked through the chaos of this area I was left to wonder why you would want to invite more pedestrian traffic into such a heavily impacted and critical area? But entering a stadium is always going to have some type of restrictions, as you need to protect the ticket sales. Understood.

Restricting the corps members to one exit gate after the show made no sense? Trust me, I'm not advocating rude behavior but what is the reasoning for this? The gate that members were sent to exit from was a couple of hundred feet back. Once exiting that gate those same members would then walk past the original gate on the way to the equipment trucks. So they end up walking by the same gate on both sides but not through, what has been accomplished besides causing a nonsensical inconvenience and placing the professional stadium staff in the position of defending the indefensible? I feel for both the members and stadium staff on this one.

Other than this I think the DCA staff did a fantastic job. What a weekend!!

here's MY take on a few things i saw......

Regarding the parking, I was amused to overhear an altercation in the bus parking lot between someone who certainly seemed to be from, or at least associated with, a particular corps manage to get her car into teh bus paring area and park in a handicap spot. Security told her she couldn't park there as it was for busses only. She flipped out and said that she PAID for her handicapped placard and was entitled to park there and how dare they tell her she couldn't. They told her is was DCA who set up the parking areas and that area was for busses only.

I wasn't there but even if the tales of problems with the handicapped, their parking, etc are even half true, this is an area that DCA needs to work on. Handicap access is just that...giving us access that is on par with what the non-handicapped have.....that means parking, seating, and being able to get from point A to point B without having to go via point X. This means that if the lot that DCA made buses only took away handicap parking spots, then DCA was in the wrong. There is a reason that the special parking for us exists and that there is no good reason for taking it away just so the buses can be close so the corps members don't have to walk too far.

The thing with that is this---most places will only provide the minimum number of handicap parking spots required by law and no more. Many times that is inadequate. Our parking is already scarce no matter where it is....making it even more scarce borders on illegal.

Side note.....Just so anyone bringing up me having had handicap plates on my car while I was marching---yes I did....I marched at least two years more than I should have...I'd probably be in a little better shape today if I hadn't. So I'm paying for that and will always and it's on me only for being stupid....which is why I feel better being around people who didn't know the "before" me. But that's another story.

The point is that handicap parking and accessibility are something, by law, not to be tampered with or taken away.

Edited by FrankBeMe

Frank ~ there was handicapped parking. It was the closest lot to the main entrance. You are mis-reading the point Stu was making. DCA wasn't in the wrong.

I'm sure at the Alumni Spectacular HandiCap Parking was non existent. There are more than a few guys in those corps that can't walk across the room for a beer, but they'll still march a whole show with their corps.. That's not a lie or understatement either..

More power to them I say..

While I observed/was involved in a couple of incidents with the Security staff (described in another thread), I want to clarify that it was with the Security staff and NOT with the Rochester Police.

I found the cops to be incredibly helpful and understanding throughout the whole weekend - both at Paetec and around the town.

One incredibly silly example.... I was in the end zone, ready to go on the field. Someone had run their greasy, post-barbecue fingers all over my piece of equipment (a pet peeve of mine). I went over to the fence; hollered to the guys in the ambulance for an alcohol swab; the cop that was there ran over to the ambulance and got one; ran it back to me. How much more can you ask for?

And as I was standing there thanking him, all he said was, "No problem. Now just go out there and do a great job."

So.... Kudos to the Kops!!!

There was a city policeman walking by our hotel(Rochester Plaza) Monday morning, who excitedly asked for a recap.

He was so ancious to hear what all the scores were. You should have seen how his eyes lit up.

handicapped parking is there and is sufficient... we use the larger capacity side which is further away from most of the handicapped parking but that is no one's fault except the lay of the land... special access to the small "special needs" lot was arranged for many.

The problems with gate access for the most part was performer oriented... and there are reasons for that - that I won't go into here... but it will all be reevaluated for next year.

you know, the Rochester Cops are a gas... so professional... and they really are intent on

#1 the safety of all in what many have pointed out is not the "greatest" neighborhood

#2 putting Rochester's best foot forward as a community welcoming folks from all over the country and Canada

To Frankbeme - we miss you old friend... always the voice of reason... keep well ...