Which corps will add woodwinds?

Exactley, Leave DCI alone! IF someone wants to form MBI have at it. I would probably even go to some of those shows. If you want Marching band on a DCI level, form your own circuit. Once again LEAVE DCI ALONE!!! :cool:

There already is an MBI. They took 2nd at DCA this year. :w00t:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the people saying there is no push from anyone in DCI for this... saxophones were already proposed, so there is definitely some push, if a small one.

And which team of instructors do you envision is going to actually want something like that?? (I don't know of any who want more than ONE piccolo in their own marching bands! Let alone SIX?!)

yeaa, I was thinking that as I was typing what I typed, lol. But, a fair number of high schools have more than one, and there are probably a bunch of college bands that have multiples. Good college musicians would be capable of playing piccolos in tune.

That said, I still want nothing to do with them.

So you're all for the variety that would be added (in your opinion) by allowing woodwinds, but not at all bothered by the reduction in variety to the marching music world that would happen by eliminating brass only hornlines.
The arrangers could pander to the brass-only purists by using only the brass. Then again, it wouldn't BE pandering, since it makes musical sense too!

Wagner: Parsifal (Faith Motive...note how woodwinds are added as it builds)

First, get the score:

http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variations/sco...co10005.html#18

Then, get the Met Opera Orchestra playing it (start at 5:30)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3320501532211363999

finally...tell me you don't want to hear that back and forth drama between winds and brass on the field... :thumbs-up:

finally...tell me you don't want to hear that back and forth drama between winds and brass on the field... :worthy:

I don't want to hear that back and forth drama between winds and brass on the field.

There.

:thumbs-up:

Since adding WW or anything will only happen if those in DCI vote it in, "leaving DCI alone" is letting them do as they wish.

I can see that, but I think he was referring to people who are promoting the woodwind agenda. I don't have to remind you, Mike, that anyone who wants to create a summer band circuit is welcome to do so. I can even put you in touch with some people who tried it.

Regarding 6 piccs or Eb clarinets on the field, I believe the definition of a minor second interval is two piccs playing in tune. I don't want to think about 6 of them.

I had the opportunity to see Pflugerville (TX) HS Band a few years ago at the Blue Cross/Blue Shield National Band Tournament during the Fiesta Bowl festivities in Phoenix/Tempe. They had 50, 50, flutes. I couldn't hear one of them. This was also in a partial-roof stadium at what is now Chase Field where the Diamondbacks play.

In more than one band that I've taught, the dynamics for the woodwinds outside was always FF. It didn't matter what the dynamic was on the page, they played FF. They were better able to balance the brass, and had a HUGE sound when the brass rested. When we did that, music scores went up.

I've also worked in a music store that had a great repair shop. The owner/repair tech was a great guy, euphonium player, and let me play drum corps in the store. We talked about wear and tear on clarinets and saxes in outdoor conditions on many occasions. Many summer days were spent tuning up school instruments for the new school year. I can't imagine the upkeep for a full corps season, including camps from November to June and a full tour schedule of 30+ shows. Someone would have to be schooled very quickly on pad replacement and key adjustments, because they are very delicate.

And, finally (yeah, I'm relieved, too!), there is no need for a woodwind judge. The "brass" caption would just be changed to "winds". I've never worked in a band circuit that had separate judges for brass and woodwinds. Brass people judge woodwinds as often as woodwind people judge brass. Just keep 'em out of the percussion caption, that's all I ask!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Many years down the road, there is a significant possibility that the DCI rules will allow for horns of any family, and will remove the brass-only limitation. If this rule change were to be made, which corps do you think would be the first to adopt woodwinds? Which do you think would adopt them down the road? And which, if any, would choose to be remain brass-only? Interesting to see what DCP thinks.

Is there nothing else to talk about? Is this really necessary? Gag!

Since adding WW or anything will only happen if those in DCI vote it in, "leaving DCI alone" is letting them do as they wish.

Is this for sport? A big chuickle? I think MOST know exactly what I meant. <sigh> Thus is DCP! :thumbs-up:

I always thought a band thing on DCI level would be interesting... but not infecting DCI itself. That would ruin the nature of the activity.

So why exactly has this not occured yet. I would think those in support of woodwinds in DCI would be frothing at the mouth to create the MB equivelant. Clearly there is enough people who enjoy marching band to organize, create, and manage MBI, opperating under the same basic pretense as DCI. This would take the pressure off of DCI to include woodwinds, and would offer the outlet for those who wish to see MB performed on a world class level. (and please don't say that BOA = world class DCI perfomance level, becuase it just doesn't. )

Edited by BozzlyB

Even if woodwinds were to be added you would have to probably higher some more staff who are experts in that department which means more money is needed.

Then there is the whole mess of arc rehearsal and warming up. Many of you know the simplicity of warm-ups with the use of "fingering" signals. I.e. Middle finger down means second valve only. (Probably didn't need to explain that). What are you supposed to do with saxes in the arc since their fingerings are totally different. Its just too much of a headache to work with. Yeah bands works with it all the time but....thats band and warm ups are different.

To answer the original question......The Cadets. They seem to be pushing the envelope more than anyone else out there.

Is this for sport? A big chuickle? I think MOST know exactly what I meant. <sigh> Thus is DCP! :thumbs-up:

Yes, I know what you meant, but I am serious...if you want to leave DCI alone, the way to do that is to let them do as they so choose. What you want it to NOT leave DCI alone to do as it decides, and that is OK to post about as well.