Where did you start...

Band or Corps?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Did you start out in band or drum corps?

• School Band
    • Drum Corps

Drum Corps late 1968.

Edit: been in office work for decades. Some of my collegues say I seem to march when I walk to work, still do a heel-roll and swing my arms a little; gets me to where I'm going :)

Edited by lindap

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donny said something interesting...he bet that the results of this poll would be completely different here than the WC thread. So...how many of you started in MB and how many in DC?

For clarification, if necessary, I said Marching Band...I meant school band. Since, I was in band for three years before doing marching band.

1961. Drum Corps - Baritone with Val. and slide. (Red Barnum of the Hawtorne Cabs was our Instructor)

Drum corps. 1959 7 years old.

Did school band in 5th, 6th and 7th grade. Didn't do it again until senior year of high school, when I signed up for "Training Band" because I knew I wouldn't have to march, thus eliminating the band vs. corps conflict. Or so I thought. When the band director discovered I could sight-read and play the 1st trumpet book, he changed the course requirements and I had to do marching band or get a failing grade. There were a bunch of corps people in the band and we'd all just shake our heads in disgust when the bando's couldn't handle stuff like starting with the left foot.

In 1967 I joined a drum corps at the age of 12, I was recruited three years later by my high school band director to play in the band, I lasted one day they were awful. I played football and the band director asked if I would help teach the band after football practice.

When I joined corps I wanted to play snare drum they told me if I wanted to play drums I needed to start in the cymbal line, they told me it would take three years to work up to snare. I told them I would not be doing drum corps for three years. (that was 41 years ago) Like Dennis Argul they took one look at me and called me Bari, I told them my name was Alan and they gave me this old valve slide baritone (I’m older than Dennis). And as they say the rest is history.

Marching band. In northeast NC in the mid to late 80's, drum corps didn't exsist. I didn't find out about drum corps 'til I came across the DCI broadcast on PBS in '89.

I started out on clarinet in 7th grade. Switched to sax halfway through 8th grade and played that all the way through my 1st two years of college.

The band I was in went from one of the best bands in the area my 8th grade year to one of the worst my freshman year and stayed there all through my high school career. My band changed directors every year through all 4 of my high school years. I like to think that we started turning things around on my watch when I was DM my senior year (I do like my delusions). We won more trophies that year than in the last 3 years combined. Two years after I graduated in '92, my band regained their top spot in the area and kept it until a couple of years ago.

My senior year of HS was when I was introduced formally to drum corps when my freshmen yr DM and one of my best friends, Brad "Beef" Myers (if you march Yankee Rebels, you know exactly who he is), invited me to play with Southern Nights in '92. I couldn't have been more happy. I started on bass drum, but eventually ended up on baritone. The rest as they say, is history. And you can read my sig for that.

Those of you who are drummers will appreciate this. When I started out in 1958 at six I was given things by my instructor to practice like mama daddys (rolls), Paradiddles, etc. In 1960 I joined the local Cub Scout pack in my church which also had a drum ensemble, so to speak. By that time I had progressed somewhat so I would have easily been the best player in that group but I didn't want to play in the Cub Scouts because they didn't play rudiments. Shortly there after conflicts came up between the drumcorps I was in and the Cub Scouts, thankfully, my folks didn't force me to stay in the scouts.

There is nothing like the sound and precision of rudimental drumming. It's something I've thankfully been addicted to practically all of my life

Edited by Fastone

I started in drum corps. I used to see the local junior corps, Empire Loyalists every year in the Christmas parade. We would hear them rehearsing all spring long. I quit hockey and knew that is what I wanted to do. I knew right then and there that drumming was something that I wanted to be a major part of my life.

I started in 1993. I was extremely young, very small, and awful!

I was a string player all through school (viola) - so I went straight to drum corps, and the guard for me!

Sun Empire Jr. High Concert Band (trumpet) 1975-78

Kerman High School (marching band- tpt., concert- french horn, parade- sousaphone) 1978-82

Valley Fever (bari- decided to play a real horn :cool:) 1983-84

Fresno City Silly College (field- mello. Hey, they needed some middle brass! Concert- euph) 1984-85

CA Dons (bari) 1985

Fresno State Marching Band (bari) 1987

Azusa Pacific University (concert- euph. However, my focus at APU was vocal/choir) 1988-89

Fresno State Marching Band (bari) 1991-93

SF Renegades (bari) 2003-04

Edited by skajerk

I started in drum and bugle corps playing a straight g bugle for a snowshoe club in Maine! :cool:

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato