Cymbal Lines are Officially Dead

According to my tabulations appearing at DCI Championships this year...

Academy

Beatrix

Blue Devils B

Cavaliers Alumni

Colts

Colt Cadets

Crossmen

Impulse

Jersey Surf

Legends

Madison Scouts

Marines Drum & Bugle Corps

Pacific Crest

Pioneer

Raiders

Santa Clara Vanguard

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets

Spartans

Spirit

Teal Sound

Velvet Knights

Yamato

Both Spirit and Madison brought their cymbal lines back this year. And I have heard of several corps talking about bringing theirs back too. With the surge of indoor percussion and amazing new visuals on the rise - it could only add to a show. Virtually all the above mentioned corps utilized their lines prominently this year.

Here's the rise of the cymbals!

MAV

Furthermore, there's been a resurgence of plate lines in Div 1. Off the top of my head, these corps march plates:

Pioneer

Mandarins

PC

Spirit

Troopers (I think)

Glassmen

Scouts

Crossmen

Colts (I think)

Vanguard

Plus, how will a keyboard simulate all the various articulations and playing styles of a pair of cymbals?

This year? As in 08?

Crossmen yes, Glassmen no.

Academy yes.

I don't believe the troopers do... not terribly sure though.

when cymbal steve is back teaching at the bluecoats, or any other world class group for that matter, THEN cymbal lines will have returned to their former glory.

so... if people don't like the argument that plate lines are going away... how bout this:

having a plate line puts your corps at a competitive disadvantage

:thumbup::tongue::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::mat::worthy::music::music: :bla: :thumbup::doh::tongue::thumbup::thumbup::worthy::worthy::thumbup:

:thumbup::tongue::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::mat::worthy::music::music: :bla: :thumbup::doh::tongue::thumbup::thumbup::worthy::worthy::thumbup:

I love watching cymbal lines... but don't you think if Cadets or Bluecoats or Blue Devils thought they could get another tenth or two in GE for having a cymbal line, that they would? The fact that they don't think that means they think they can use those 4/5 members somewhere else to provide a greater impact on their result.

What if Crown marched 12 tubas, and a 4 person cymbal line, instead of 16 tubas?

It is official. Amplified front ensembles have made cymbal lines obsolete. OVERWHELMINGLY, people in the crowd at Bloomington finals told me that they could hear our (Vanguard) front-line cymbals but NOT the cymbal line!

Um, front ensembles don't amplify cymbals. That would just be plain stupid.

The attachment of cymbals to keyboards are what allowed corps to free themselves from cymbal lines and add more brass/colorguard/drums/keyboards. Do you really need 18 people on the field crashing cymbals? No. Cymbals cut through a whole corps just fine played by one player. Just get a rack player for all the little stuff and everyone in the front ensemble smashing away at the impacts.

Also, the cymbal line has been more about visual effect than musical since the front ensemble's inception.

What if Crown marched 12 tubas, and a 4 person cymbal line, instead of 16 tubas?

People would still go crazy for them.

when cymbal steve is back teaching at the bluecoats, or any other world class group for that matter, THEN cymbal lines will have returned to their former glory.

My phone hasn't exactly been ringing off the hook with offers...

But with a kid/wife/job now, I don't see myself going back on tour. Not to think that I would single handedly return anything to a former glory.

This year? As in 08?

Crossmen yes, Glassmen no.

Academy yes.

I don't believe the troopers do... not terribly sure though.

Troopers: no cymbal line for 2008, and none likely for 2009 despite my continued (and potentially annoying) assertion that 4 pitsters should pick up some plates and get moving on the field for a few minutes next season!