Greatest DCA Corps of All Time

I was bored this afternoon. :rolleyes:

This is based purely upon average placement at DCA Championships (prelims & finals) throughout the years.

Minimum of 7 DCA Championship appearances. I chose that # so current corps like Corpsvets and Renegades could be included.

It didnt seem fair to include corps with less than that. For example.....Inspires and Phoenix both placed highly in their appearances but only competed 2 times each.

And off we go.....

(Rank, corps name, average placement, # of appearances)

1) Caballeros 2.89 (43)

2) Empire Statesmen 3.19 (26)

3) Bushwackers 4.30 (27)

4) Buccaneers 4.36 (44)

5) Brigadiers 5.26 (23)

6) Sunrisers 5.89 (35)

T7) Hurricanes 6.00 (44)

T7) Skyliners 6.00 (39)

9) Yankee Rebels 6.46 (13)

10) Crusaders 7.54 (41)

11) Renegades 7.86 (7)

12) Mn Brass 8.19 (27)

13) Matadors 8.25 (16)

14) Steel City 8.33 (12)

15) Westshoremen 8.80 (30)

16) Corpsvets 9.29 (7)

17) Grenadiers 9.64 (11)

18) Hamburg Kingsmen 10.13 (8)

T19)Erie Thunderbirds 10.75 (12)

T19)Pittsburgh Rockets 10.75 (8)

Anyone suprised at any of this???

Edited by jth1206kp

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any could argue Cabs being the greatest DCA/senior/all age corps of all time.

not a single surprise

although I'm bothered by the method penalizing MBI for its years of perserverance... they are the only standout that came out too low in this methodology...

Cabs - greatest all aged corps of all time - duh... go figure! That was a can't miss...

Very interesting reading Glen, hope you get bored more often. :rolleyes:

14) Westshoremen 8.80 (30)

17) Hamburg Kingsmen 10.13 (8)

T18)Erie Thunderbirds 10.75 (12)

T18)Pittsburgh Rockets 10.75 (8)

Picked my old corps plus some of the early DCA corps and only surprise is how low Rockets and Kingsmen are on the list. Guess the not so good years Hamburg had at the end really lowered the average.

Hmmm, (figuring out my personal average) 11.625(8). Oh yeah, corps was better when I didin't march.... :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

as much as we all loved the Rockets, Jim, their scores were never that remarkable.

agreed on the no brainer for the top spot.

Pretty cool project Glen. Out of curiosity I did the one nearest to my heart that you didn't include.

Steel City Ambassadors 7.63 (19)

as much as we all loved the Rockets, Jim, their scores were never that remarkable.

Ouch, just looked at corpsreps. The Rockets show I like listening to is from 1972 (just before I discovered DC). They came in 10th.... :tongue: And Hamburg never came in higher than 8th at Finals so they didn't drop that much.

Funny thing is over DCA weekend, an ex-Rocket in our group was reading the program checking out the scores over the years. One of the comments was "Yeah, #### Hamburg, never could seem to beat those <bleeps>".

Didn't realize Steel City was at DCA for that many years. :rolleyes:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

agreed on the no brainer for the top spot.

Pretty cool project Glen. Out of curiosity I did the one nearest to my heart that you didn't include.

Cant believe I missed them. I'll fix it when I get home.

Didn't realize Steel City was at DCA for that many years. :rolleyes:

I think that is a typo. SCA's first DCA was 1981 and its last was 1992 (and went every year in between).

So, that should be 12, not 19. First year: 1981, first finals 1983. Top 5 - 1985, 1986, and 1987. Last finals: 1990. Folded in Fall of 1993. Now performs as an alumni corps.

I think it's also a big :tongue: that Cabs come number one on this list. More interesting is the race for 2nd, with ES beating Bush handily, or at least moreso than I would've thought. But, then ES has been Top 4 for 21 (of 26) years. Bush has been more up and down, but has been in Finals every year of its 28 years of existence.

I would try using a points system: W points for average placing, X points for each year participating, Y points for each year in Finals, Z points for each championship.

An even better way is to award corps not for placing, but for how many corps they beat that season. That gives a more objective view of the corps' strength than average placing. DCA Prelims numbers vary a lot, the corps that placed 13th (whose name escapes me right now) out of 24 corps in this just-completed season has to be stronger than the 1993 Chieftains, who finished 13th (and last).

Edited by Dale Bari