Cool Marches

JeffUsnaDB

Wait, wait... I have THE answer.

"March" from Symphonic Metamorphosis. Hindemith. End of discussion.

Edited by Maestro767

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! All this talk about Army of the Nile made me remember what some of my old army friends used to call it: Army in Denial.

We had about 250 charts/marches always ready for play. Of course I can't remember all of them but a few have been mentioned already. A couple of my favorites were Bravura and Americans We. One that hasn't thrown in the ring is Black Jack March. Another fun one is Midway March. Also, a thumbs up for 1941--maybe you can get away with transcribing the march band arrangement that we played.

You know, the Sea Hawk clip is pretty cool. In that YouTube clip, around 3:30 there is a nice march theme... not too hard.

The Sea Hawk (great swashbuckling movie BTW!) seems like such a natural for you Middies! You've got to find a way to make that work for you.

I didn't much care for the music as a march you referenced at 3:30, it was just kind of "blehh" for me.

Go back and listen to the first :45. You'd have to water down the trumpet parts (get it? water? Navy?) but why couldn't you play the first :45 of that clip, and add the ending at about 9:15 to the end 10:47. Or to shorten it a bit, I love the excitement of the first :45, then add 9:52 to the end. Put the fanfare from near the ending at the beginning, there is lots of stuff someone smarter than me could do with this piece.

Have you ever heard the

? The 27th Lancers played it in 1982 and 1985. Edited by wvu80

The Sea Hawk (great swashbuckling movie BTW!) seems like such a natural for you Middies! You've got to find a way to make that work for you.

The 27th Lancers played it in 1982 and 1985.

Guardsmen played it back in '80.

Seriously - the March from the movie 1941 is AWESOME and can really show off your brass section as far as technique goes.

It's John Williams, so it may be tough to get the rights to it, but I'd really look into it.

:smile:

There might be an arrangement available for "1941"..MBI played it in both 1980 and '81. :inlove: it was a great chart and showed off a lot of different sections in the horn line. I don't think there are any recordings available of it, because those were 2 years where they didn't go to DCA. It WAS part of the 1996 show, but only a blurb as part of the big medley they used that year (50th Ann. show)

If interested, PM me for more details.

Pat

I didn't much care for the music as a march you referenced at 3:30, it was just kind of "blehh" for me.

Go back and listen to the first :45. You'd have to water down the trumpet parts (get it? water? Navy?) but why couldn't you play the first :45 of that clip, and add the ending at about 9:15 to the end 10:47. Or to shorten it a bit, I love the excitement of the first :45, then add 9:52 to the end. Put the fanfare from near the ending at the beginning, there is lots of stuff someone smarter than me could do with this piece.

Have you ever heard the

? The 27th Lancers played it in 1982 and 1985.

The 1980 version of, "Sea Hawk", played by the Reading Buccaneers is not as watered down as the 27th version, (I think it would be virtually impossible to be moving on the field and play an un-watered down version of those trumpet parts), and has an awesome transition into "Russian Sailor's Dance". Pretty cool stuff. If I ever get around to it, I'll try and post it on You Tube.

Back in 78' our opener was "The Patriots March" but being a stupid drummer I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it. It even had a cool sop solo. I tried to google it and got a few hits but it wasn't the same song. This is driving me absolutely crazy. If I ever get to the bottom of this I will definately let you know.

Are you talking about "The Patriots" by Clifton Williams? A great march by a respected composer.

Fred O.