That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

Will people really walk away from the MADISON SCOUTS if they use electronics?

Where will all that money go?

Jason

Maybe to non-DC organizations that help kids.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to pay bills. save for the future given the economy. there's lots of things to do with money not given to drum corps.

Will people really walk away from the MADISON SCOUTS if they use electronics?

Where will all that money go?

Jason

Jason,

If they walk away they were probably never "reallY" there for them in the first place. I'll probably get flamed but so what. it is what it is. bottom line is that the kids in drum corps are still going to do it wheathr some go away in a huff or not. sysths so what!!! the boston crusaders used one in 85.

The only corps NOT using synths of some kind next summer are the ones who don't care if their GE music scores go DOWN!.

Edited by shawn craig

This thread is confusing so I'll reply on 2 points:

All 150 members must audition - I see this as starting with a clean slate to not scare away potential people to audition. It would not be good marketing to say "we only need 1 here, 2 here, this section is full, 4 here, etc." Just bring everyone in and have a big audition weekend.

Synthesizers - I don't have a problem with this. The problems I have are during setup when the performance is delayed because they cannot find the power outlet, or the plug doesn't work, or it's really loud and your ears are bleeding or it doesn't work and a key element is left out of the show because you cannot hear what is being played or said.

I like how MFA/BOA bands have incorporated synthesizers in their performances, but yes it does seem like cheating when the only thing playing is the synthesizer in a 250 person marching band, but it is also entertaining. It will be interesting if DCA does approve synthesizers or amplification in the future.

Either way it will be interesting to see what Scouts come up with this year.

Jason