That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

Or, you could think about the words you post and what they connote and how they come across to others. It is not a far stretch to go from "did not get credit" to thinking someone got screwed. As far as issues with people on here. . .I couldn't care less. It's just an internet message board.

Jeff and I agree on many issues, but here I agree with you on connotation. If I say something didn't get the credit it deserved, I am saying it got screwed in one way or another. That is still my opinion, but the connotation is there, IMO.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2002 Madison. musically a top 12 corps.

You know Jeff, we seldom agree on things, but on this....and I saw this show all season long as my son was in the corps. This show was terrible out of the gate...and struggled for the early part of the season. I remember reading good things about the improvement the corps made with the show during after July 4 or so.

When I saw it at semis I thought...wow, what a different show. How well they played and marched that night. I thought the visual program really stepped up from where they were mid-season.

I thought the show was good enough for finals, but obviously...my parental bias got the best of me. But, it was such a vast improvement from earlier in the season. 2002 was an odd year. There were some emerging corps up from Div. II/III and Magic was back and the lower half of the top 6 was extremely tight.

Or, you could think about the words you post and what they connote and how they come across to others. It is not a far stretch to go from "did not get credit" to thinking someone got screwed. As far as issues with people on here. . .I couldn't care less. It's just an internet message board.

I DO think about the words I post on here, all 100 million of them. i say exactly what I think and feel, always have, and i think my reputation for being outspoken speaks for itself.

ergo, don't yet again read too much into what I, and in general people say. assuming usually burns you like it did here.

and trust me, if i think something is a conspiracy, i'll gladly say so, and have before.

and of course you care. you, along with many others here love to stir the pot.

You know Jeff, we seldom agree on things, but on this....and I saw this show all season long as my son was in the corps. This show was terrible out of the gate...and struggled for the early part of the season. I remember reading good things about the improvement the corps made with the show during after July 4 or so.

When I saw it at semis I thought...wow, what a different show. How well they played and marched that night. I thought the visual program really stepped up from where they were mid-season.

I thought the show was good enough for finals, but obviously...my parental bias got the best of me. But, it was such a vast improvement from earlier in the season. 2002 was an odd year. There were some emerging corps up from Div. II/III and Magic was back and the lower half of the top 6 was extremely tight.

oh they had stiff competition for sure. I personally thought Seattle, while fun, was over rated, and took some great tunes and didn't improve upon previous versions

I remember seeing Madison take on the Scades in Seattle that year. After seeing them perform back to back, everybody in the stadium knew who had the better show, even that early in the year (and it wasn't just home cooking, either. Just about everybody loves Madison, Seattle fans included, and I think we were all as shocked as anybody to see what we saw). I remember that I did get into Madison's music, but their visual program was not working and did not ever really work.

I DO think about the words I post on here, all 100 million of them. i say exactly what I think and feel, always have, and i think my reputation for being outspoken speaks for itself.

ergo, don't yet again read too much into what I, and in general people say. assuming usually burns you like it did here.

and trust me, if i think something is a conspiracy, i'll gladly say so, and have before.

and of course you care. you, along with many others here love to stir the pot.

Burns me? How so? Because you disagree with me? :smile:

You said something, and should own what it means whether it was your intent or not.

I did own up the second i typed it. i was pretty clear. But, of course LA, you're NEVER wrong.

:smile:

I did own up the second i typed it. i was pretty clear. But, of course LA, you're NEVER wrong.

:smile:

That's funny coming from you. We disagree about intent and you come all superior talking about how much you post (as if that means something) and how I got burned. I guess I missed the owning part. Oh well, another day on dcp.

This was written in the Madison forums by a guy who I marched with. I think he really sums up the whole situation, and I love the way he puts it.

I don't think you're going to offend anyone here by making commentary about the use of amplification. Everyone associated with the activity has an opinion about it, and no one is afraid to voice that opinion. We've heard many opinions before, and we expect to hear many more. So I don't think you have offended anyone.

One thought I might offer is just that no matter what your opinion is on any changes in the activity and the design team's use of them, the most important thing we can do as alumni and fans of the Scouts is to support the members. The members have really no say about what electronics are used, or any other program ideas. But they are of course the ones that receive the brunt of the negative commentary about any use of it, whether they like it or not. We went through a lot of changes while I was in the corps. As a rookie I played a bugle, we had no electronics anywhere on the field, and I loved it. When I aged I played a trumpet, we had amps and mics on the front sideline, and I still loved it. We heard it all--no one was afraid to tell us their opinion. But no matter what electronics are or aren't used, the guys are still the guys. They march in Madison for many of the same reasons that we have - passion, brotherhood, and witnessing incredible Madison performances that made them know it is something special to be a part of.

So whether you like the changes or not, be the alumni or fan who still supports the corps and always will support the corps. Come to the shows, wear your jacket with pride, scream and cheer when they're on the field, talk with the members, give money to the organization, and volunteer your time to help. The 2009 Scouts will learn and grow as men just as many other men of Madison have before them, whether there is a speaker on the sideline or not. They bust their tails all all day all summer, make huge sacrifices to be there, and they deserve our support just like any other year. They are and will be incredible with or without electronics.

That's my two cents.

Peace and Brotherhood,

MYNWA,

Mike