I'm on the east coast and I still haven't gotten mine or even the email claiming that its on the way

Send them an e-mail asking where your order is!! "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!" As soon as I did that, my order showed up in the mail!! Amazing how that works. Other than the "Chintzy" jewel cases they showed up in compared to last year, I'm relatively satisfied in what I got. The Cabs Alumni Corps was videotaped by a friend of mine in Clifton back in July, and I swear the sound recording from his hand held video camera is better than what we got in Rochester, as it picked up the bottom sounds much better. Unbelievable how that works.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did everyone who ordered the DVD's get them already? I still have not received my copy, and it was the first year I actually bought it!

Blows me away.........just WHAT takes them SO long to get discs out that are already crap to begin with? I could understand the holdup if they were putting out a quality product, and I can't imagine that crap polishing would take so long....

So, not having viewed the DVD's, do any of you have opinions regarding the shows themselves? I'm not asking you to second-guess judging, because we all know that somehow the camera always zeroes in on the mistakes and misses the best parts. :big hug: But maybe some opinions about how the different shows come across on video?

Edited by Ron H

So, not having viewed the DVD's, do any of you have opinions regarding the shows themselves? I'm not asking you to second-guess judging, because we all know that somehow the camera always zeroes in on the mistakes and misses the best parts. :big hug: But maybe some opinions about how the different shows come across on video?

I've viewed the whole prelim set.

I think the endzone shots could go away for ALL the corps, it's not a flattering angle for any corps whatsoever (no matter DCA or DCI corps).

The audio portion seems kinda wacky mainly (IMO) due to the fact a good amount of (various) corps' (brass and battery) major performing area doesn't cover a lot of the field and several corps don't seem to go much past a few yards (3 or 4) behind the front hash and no farther than the 35's most of the time, so the mic placement (itself) seems to be geared into that "pocket" area, thus misses a lot of what is "good stuff" the other corps (and their sound) are visually and musically doing outside that "pocket" area.

I certainly understand depending the size of the corps (many times) dictates design and the amount of field a corps can cover, but there seemed to be a lot of "in that pocket" of safety for many corps who have pretty good size corps.

I also thought as one note, in general, the relationship of all the corps (as a whole) performances in the effect area in relating to the fans with design (musical and visual) and (thus) excitment (connecting to the crowd) didn't seem to carry over to the actual rankings.

It's very hard to critique any single corps' performance because they all gave it the best they had at that moment in time. The fans were the winners.

It's been somewhat interesting to view and listen to.

Blows me away.........just WHAT takes them SO long to get discs out that are already crap to begin with?

Don't know why they take so long to send these out, but do what I did. As soon as I questioned them about the status of my order, by e-mail (where my order was), they sent it out right away. Maybe this will work for you??? :lol:

Edited by Vanguard Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to get your review on the corps performances and not only the quality of the DVD itself... unless there's another post somewhere I didn't find ! :tongue:

I'm still waiting for my copy but for those who already got it, please share your thoughts! I'm sure everyone would love to have some feedback. :devil:

Edited by Angel

So, not having viewed the DVD's, do any of you have opinions regarding the shows themselves? I'm not asking you to second-guess judging, because we all know that somehow the camera always zeroes in on the mistakes and misses the best parts. :smile: But maybe some opinions about how the different shows come across on video?

After viewing the Finals Disc MANY times, I would say the crowd clearly would have "judged" Empire #1 and Bucs/Cabs 2-3. Fully realizing that I am including my own preferences when I look at a show, I, too would have had Empire #1 and wouldn't be very upset if either Cabs or Bucs were 2nd with the other 3rd. If the Cabs Alumni was competing, I'd put them number 2 anyway. I bought the DVDs to see what I consider top drum corps, not what the judges like.

Joe D.

Bottom line, you don't get what you pay for. If you have to pay an insanly high price, you should get an insanly good product. You don't. If the whole package cost 50 bucks, I wouldn't complain, but 100+ is stupid. If it was DCI or BSA or even WGI quality, then yeah I can see spending the money. We get Bob's home made video. My thought is have a bunch of people pitch in and then just make copies, yeah it's probibly illegal, but the price they charge is also a crime, because the Youtube videos look better.....no really they do.

My question is why haven't we changed companies? I realize that there's economics and a bunch of other numbers I just don't understand involved. But is DCA even looking? I refuse to think that this is the best quality we can get at the lowest price. Who's cousin works at BVP and DCA? It's got to be a resposibility of someone in DCA to ensure the fans and members aren't getting screwed, but we have been, for years, and years. Somethings gotta give. DCI charges around the same price for way better quality. Does the company that does DCI really charge that much more? There has to be another outlet for this, and until one is found both BVP and DCA are failing in this aspect. Just my opinion, I'm just tired of shelling out more and more money, for a product that gets worse, and worse.

Blows me away.........just WHAT takes them SO long to get discs out that are already crap to begin with? I could understand the holdup if they were putting out a quality product, and I can't imagine that crap polishing would take so long....

Just my biased opinion.

1. MBI, sorry their one of the only groups that looked better then they did in prelims.

2. Empire, dirty but always my favorite

3. Hurcs, Cleaner then just about everyone else.

4 Bucs, their battery stunk and they knew it. Not an all year thing, but something broke at finals. insane pit.

5 Buswackers, I'm a drummer, but their gaurd was mesmorizing, and I liked the show

6 Cabs, Same thing every year, awesome people, just not a fan of the show. Lotsa dirt, not as good as prelims.

7-9 ??

10 Cru?? Really that was a finals show? Saw them earlier, and was impressed, but what happened? No forms at all. Like ever. hornline sounded tired.

What happened at finals? Really. No one seemed to show up like they did the night before. The bottom end of open class, was.....well screwed up, everyone got a bit screwed even the ones that made finals. And no on other than Empire, and MBI really seemed to come to play. Like there was no pressure to perform, so they didn't. Buc's obviously thought they had first locked up again, and they did. See what happens when you take 2-3 DCI shows that have already been done? Just didn't feel as exciting as I thought it would be.

I find it fascinating other peoples opinions about performances between prelims and finals.

I marched with a corps for both prelims and finals, and I find it hilarious how some people thought our prelims performance was better than our finals performance. It very may well have been, but the attitude of the corps was that "Prelims was garbage, and finals was incredible". Apparently, our feelings didn't get transferred to some people who tought the opposite.

I guess that's why I march it... No one can take that feeling away from me that I had after the horns down at the end of the closer, and no one seems to be able to understand it either. Scores and opinions of the audience were pretty much irrelevant after that to me.

I guess that's why some people say "playing with emotion" doesn't make a difference. It may not make a difference score-wise, but it made the entire year that much more amazing.

I just wish the quality of the DVDs gave at least partial justice to the performances of all the corps.