OK gang... I just finished watching all of finals... Not bad... Not bad at all... actually quite good... well worth having in your collection...

Are some of the pits too loud? yup... but guess what, they WERE too loud in person too...

For the most part, the director did a good job of trying to make it more interesting... as I have said before, I personally would go with a fixed camera high on the 50... but that's just me.... only way to do this better can't happen and that's to have the director catch the shows many times before shooting and be totally familiar with the product... totally impractical... some corps provide someone to help the director but this is not consistant... kudos for what was done under the circumstances... we (the corps) must help in this quest for improvement.

The end zone camera was seldom used (this is probably a good thing) and there were one or two instances where it presented an interesting viewpoint... the problem with end zone cameras is the activity... we design for the front 50... we clean for the front 50... there are some things from the endzone that look butt ugly... but PERFECT from the front 50... so I compliment them on the judicious use of that camera...

PLEASE

take the time to watch the bonus footage... great stuff there... some very good video journalism...

Comments about announcers:

As you all know, the announcer situation was a knee jerk reaction to Fran and Barb not being able to come... We didn't know until the last minute that he would not be coming at all...

The announcer sucked... lol... well not really, but he was kind of old and no longer has the deep golden tones of his youth... (which can be heard on the recently re-released 1974 DCI Championship footage) to make it through both prelims and finals - it was critical that I ask someone else to step in for Alumni... losing my voice for the top 5 Sunday night was not a pretty thought.

The Alumni show was handled perfectly by Steve Anderman. I have known Steve for almost 40 years and was thrilled he was available to step in... Steve now works with Nashville's Music City Legend. Big cudos to Steve and a huge thank you for a job well done.

more comments on the rest of the dvd's after I've had time to review them...

I agree Tom. I finally got my DVD's on Friday, and had a chance to watch a good portion of Finals, The Alumni Spetacular, AND the Mini's. To me, everything was very well done, and the sound and picture quality was very good! I also agree that some of the pits were a bit too loud, but as Tom pointed out.....they were loud in person.

To the corps staff attending the rules congress meetings in January.....

If there is a proposal on the table about the amplification of the pit, please....PLEASE do not pass this. IT DOES NOT NEED IT!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm too loud in person...

down front yeah they could be a bit much, especially with that wall.

but, my hunch is mic placement caused the issues on the dvd

ok Jeff

you drummer's are prejudiced... I stand by my statement... besides, where else could they put the mics?

as for amplification - I won't comment personally on any subject that might be on the rules change list... speaking of which, only 2 weeks to put things on the list for consideration...

Nothing can be considered "cold" on Dec. 13th unless there is a unanimous vote to put it on the table - and unanimous is not something I would expect to see very often...

ok Jeff

you drummer's are prejudiced... I stand by my statement... besides, where else could they put the mics?

as for amplification - I won't comment personally on any subject that might be on the rules change list... speaking of which, only 2 weeks to put things on the list for consideration...

Nothing can be considered "cold" on Dec. 13th unless there is a unanimous vote to put it on the table - and unanimous is not something I would expect to see very often...

trust me, i call out over balanced pits with and without amps all the time. i truly think the issue is that wall down front. it pushed the sound back out and i am sure it affects the mics. i sat in the top row of the bottom section, and on 3 occasions i remember pits coming across hot that they didn't when i saw those corps elsewhere.

and I know at Allentown, 2 pits were painfully too high on the top end. both amped. but i am pretty sure DCI has tweaked mic placement because the 1st 2 years with amps, they were too loud on the dvd's...since then, not as bad. either that or some good post work was done in the studio

I'm actually pretty pleased with the recordings

Since I was one of the earliest people to complain and whine about disc 3 of the Alumni Spectacular CD, I figure I should be among the earliest to say that I received the corrected disc in today's mail, along with a very nice note thanking me for bring the error to their attention.

Problem resolved!! Very nicely, I might add.....

However, I'm still waiting for Fran Haring to send me the check for the initial one - the "rare and unusual collector's item."

Andy

However, I'm still waiting for Fran Haring to send me the check for the initial one - the "rare and unusual collector's item."

Andy

Wait a minute...... hold on a second..... what's that sound I hear?

Oh yeah....that's it... it's Hell freezing over. :happy:

Fran

Wait a minute...... hold on a second..... what's that sound I hear?

Oh yeah....that's it... it's Hell freezing over. :blink:

Fran

C'mon Fran, I can sell you mine too and you could have a matched set... or bookends... or something...

Amazing.... Cabs show cuts off right at the end of "Pal Yatchee" (Spike Jones' version of Paglacci(sp!)).