"As the voice introduced the "Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni," I snuggled down in my seat, lit a cigarette, and prepared to have my windows blown out.

When what to my wondering ears should appear, but the Hawthorne Alumni - FROM 2005!!!"

Well, look at it this way, Andy: At least they got the corps and the century right!

Do they want you to return the incorrect disc? The least they can do is let you keep it as a courtesy and compensation, and then you've got a nice recording of the 2005 repertoire.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As the voice introduced the "Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni," I snuggled down in my seat, lit a cigarette, and prepared to have my windows blown out.

When what to my wondering ears should appear, but the Hawthorne Alumni - FROM 2005!!!"

Well, look at it this way, Andy: At least they got the corps and the century right!

Do they want you to return the incorrect disc? The least they can do is let you keep it as a courtesy and compensation, and then you've got a nice recording of the 2005 repertoire.

I suppose you're right, John. Except I already have the CD and DVD of the Alumni Spectacular from 2005.

And they didn't say anything about my sending back the incorrect disc. Maybe I'll just hang on to it for ten or twelve years and then put it on eBay as a "collector's item." I'll let some poor fool negotiate me down to $100 for this "one of a kind, rare collector's item."

See you in a couple of weeks.....

Andy

"And they didn't say anything about my sending back the incorrect disc. Maybe I'll just hang on to it for ten or twelve years and then put it on eBay as a "collector's item." I'll let some poor fool negotiate me down to $100 for this "one of a kind, rare collector's item."

There you go! That's the good old American entrepreneurial thinking! The old saying holds true: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! LOL.

See you soon, in Plymouth, I take it? (Or are you coming in for the parade on the 9th?)

"And they didn't say anything about my sending back the incorrect disc. Maybe I'll just hang on to it for ten or twelve years and then put it on eBay as a "collector's item." I'll let some poor fool negotiate me down to $100 for this "one of a kind, rare collector's item."

There you go! That's the good old American entrepreneurial thinking! The old saying holds true: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! LOL.

See you soon, in Plymouth, I take it? (Or are you coming in for the parade on the 9th?)

I've decided I'm not going to wait ten or twelve years; I'm going to sell it now - probably to Fran Haring. He'll never know the difference.

In any case, I'm not going to be able to make the parade in Clifton on the 9th, but I will be in Plymouth. See you then!!

Andy

I've decided I'm not going to wait ten or twelve years; I'm going to sell it now - probably to Fran Haring. He'll never know the difference.

You're dead to me. :thumbup:

Fran

So.... If any of you have received your CD's, go directly to Hawthorne's track. If it starts out with "The Rumps," it ain't what you want!!

Andy

Owe Andy a drink of his choice as got mine yesterday and starts with the Rumps.... Wonder if they are all screwed up....

Forgot I ordered everything as that was a better deal than my usual Prelims/Minis/Alums. Friggin' package pricing.... Be quite a while to check them all, hello work PC.

Not a good weekend for DC as my car crapped out yesterday and I should be at a parade right now instead of typing. Going to trade it in early 2009 but gonna have a big butted bill before that happens (looks like computer going out).

You're dead to me. :devil:

Fran

Fran,

I DON'T CARE if I'm dead to you - just so long as you send the hundred bucks that you promised me for the "rare and exciting, one-of-a-kind collector's item" CD. :thumbup:

Andy

"Captain": Last year, when they cut off our entrance, I squawked back at them, saying that they cut off one of the most important parts of our performance, specifically the announcement by "Ace" that our performance was dedicated to my travelling buddy, Gary Glowinski, who had passed away the night before. I kept the shortened one they sent me, and they sent me the extended version with our entrance and the announcement on it, even in a real DVD case and not just a plastic jewel case. I think the reason they cut our 2007 release is so they could fit all ten Alumni Corps on a single DVD instead of extending the performance entrances and exits like they used to do, & have to go to two discs. If you have the entire Alumni Spectacular DVD, you'll see what I mean. Of course they would have also charged us more for it as well, for the 2nd disc. If you notice on our 2007 release, they didn't even include the drum line passing in review, which I just LOVE, because that's one of my favorite parts of our performance, to cut "time". I could listen to that alone FOREVER, as "youss guyss" are that good!! It's a real travesty.

See you in Plymouth!!!! :thumbup:

OK gang... I just finished watching all of finals... Not bad... Not bad at all... actually quite good... well worth having in your collection...

Are some of the pits too loud? yup... but guess what, they WERE too loud in person too...

For the most part, the director did a good job of trying to make it more interesting... as I have said before, I personally would go with a fixed camera high on the 50... but that's just me.... only way to do this better can't happen and that's to have the director catch the shows many times before shooting and be totally familiar with the product... totally impractical... some corps provide someone to help the director but this is not consistant... kudos for what was done under the circumstances... we (the corps) must help in this quest for improvement.

The end zone camera was seldom used (this is probably a good thing) and there were one or two instances where it presented an interesting viewpoint... the problem with end zone cameras is the activity... we design for the front 50... we clean for the front 50... there are some things from the endzone that look butt ugly... but PERFECT from the front 50... so I compliment them on the judicious use of that camera...

PLEASE

take the time to watch the bonus footage... great stuff there... some very good video journalism...

Comments about announcers:

As you all know, the announcer situation was a knee jerk reaction to Fran and Barb not being able to come... We didn't know until the last minute that he would not be coming at all...

The announcer sucked... lol... well not really, but he was kind of old and no longer has the deep golden tones of his youth... (which can be heard on the recently re-released 1974 DCI Championship footage) to make it through both prelims and finals - it was critical that I ask someone else to step in for Alumni... losing my voice for the top 5 Sunday night was not a pretty thought.

The Alumni show was handled perfectly by Steve Anderman. I have known Steve for almost 40 years and was thrilled he was available to step in... Steve now works with Nashville's Music City Legend. Big cudos to Steve and a huge thank you for a job well done.

more comments on the rest of the dvd's after I've had time to review them...