Spirit Announces 2009 Brass Staff

http://www.spiritdrumcorps.org

Spirit is honored to announce the 2009 Brass Staff led by Brass Arranger and Music Coordinator, Scott Boerma and Co-Caption Heads Dr. Ray Vasquez and Mark Waymire.

“We are very excited about the instructional staff for 2009, says Spirit Executive Director, Joel Vincent. We have put together a brass staff with tremendous teaching experience and a wealth of drum corps success to their credit”. “One way to insure high-level benefits for our members is to find instructors that have successful experiences and can deliver true educational and musical information in a variety of ways. Each member of the Spirit brass team brings a diverse and unique background along with a strong commitment to excellence. In addition, each member of the staff understands the value of fun and will provide the Spirit members with a truly memorable experience”.

Joining Boerma, Vasquez and Waymire on the Spirit Brass Team will be Andy Putnam, Todd Snead, Jacob Garlinger, Steve McKeithen, Ian Melrose, Adam Seltzer, Joseph Musick, Patrick Hinton, and Alex Blue.

Read more information about each instructor.

Scott Boerma – Music Coordinator/Brass Arranger – Scott is the Director of the University of Michigan marching band and has been named as one of the top three arrangers of all time in the drum corps activity. He is the former brass caption head at Madison Scouts.

Ray Vasquez – Co-Caption Head: Ray is professor of trumpet and Director of Jazz Ensembles at Auburn University. He returns for his second year at caption head at Spirit after serving on the brass staff at Santa Clara Vanguard in 2007 and at Spirit in 2006.

Mark Waymire – Co-Caption Head and Program Coordinator: Mark is finishing his PhD at the University of Mississippi and was the former Assistant Director of Bands at Eastern Michigan University. He taught in the Texas public schools for fifteen years and has fourteen years of drum corps teaching experience with Phantom Regiment, and was Brass Caption Head at Madison Scouts and Glassmen.

Andy Putnam (Baritones) – Andy is currently working on his Master of Music Education degree at the University of Michigan and is the former Director of Bands at Whitnall High School near Milwaukee, Wisconsin winning four State Marching Band Championships. He has taught drum corps for eight seasons. He was a member of the Madison Scouts. He has worked as arranger for many high schools, universities, and drum corps including Madison Scouts, Glassmen, and Capitol Sound.

Todd Snead (Baritones) – Todd is currently finishing his Ph.D. at Georgia State University in Atlanta. He is a former member of BLAST and a former Texas band director. As a member of BLAST, Todd was one of the conductors and performed on trombone, baritone, and didgeridoo. He is active with education training and seminar facilitation with the Phoenix Symphony, Atlanta Symphony, and Charleston Symphony. He has five years of drum corps teaching experience with Glassmen and Madison Scouts.

Jacob Garlinger (Trumpets) – Jacob is the Associate Director of Bands at Richardson High School in Richardson, Texas. His bands have been named Texas Honor Band Finalist, State Marching Contest Finalist, BOA Finalist and on and on. He marched with the Madison Scouts and was 1998 age-out when he was the DCI mellophone Solo Champion. He has taught drum corps at Southwind, Madison Scouts, and at Santa Clara Vanguard in 2007.

Steve McKeithen (Mellophones) – Steve is currently a Doctoral Conducting Associate at Arizona State University where is instructional leader and show designer for the Arizona State University Sun Devil Marching Band and conducts concert and chamber ensembles. He is the former Director of Bands at Seguin High School in Seguin, Texas and the Instrumental Music Coordinator for the Seguin Independent School District. In 2003 his band won the National Adjudicators Invitational Wind Ensemble Festival. He marched with Suncoast Sound Drum and Bugle Corps and has taught at Madison Scouts and Glassmen

Ian Melrose (Tuba) – Ian is the Director of Bands at Turner High School in Beloit, Wisconsin. His drum corps teaching experience includes Madison Scouts and Capitol Sound. He has a Masters of Music in Performance from the University of Georgia and a Bachelor of Music Education from the University of Wisconsin.

Adam Seltzer (Tuba) – Adam has a Master of Music Education degree from Eastern Michigan University and currently teaches in the greater Houston area and has also taught in Michigan. He has taught drum corps at Glassmen and Madison Scouts.

Joseph Musick (Mellophones) – Joe is currently finishing his Bachelor of Music Education degree from the University of Colorado-Boulder. He marched one year with the Blue Knights, two years with the Crossmen and three years with the Santa Clara Vanguard, aging out in 2007. Joe was the Spirit mellophone instructor in 2008. He is currently student teaching in the Boulder Colorado area and will be doing substitute teaching in the Spring Semester.

Patrick Hinton (Tuba) – Patrick is currently pursuing his Masters of Music in Tuba Performance at the University of Alabama. He has earned a Bachelors of Music Education degree from Jacksonville State University in 2008. His drum corps experience includes three summers as a member of Spirit (2002-2004) and was the Spirit tuba instructor in 2008.

Alex Blue (Baritones) – Alex just completed his Bachelor's Degree in Music Performance (Trombone) from Texas Tech University in 2008. He was a member of Santa Clara Vanguard, 2006-2007.

Edited by Mellofone08

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish my last name was Musick. :blink:

I've marched under pretty much that entire staff back in 06 (Waymire, Boerma, Putnam, Melrose, Seltzer, Garlinger, etc.) They're just awesome in all forms.

I've said this once and I'll say it again, I elect Mark Waymire to be the caption head of life.

I'm great friends with Todd Snead (baritones instructor).....I've been hearing great things from him about this year's staff so far!!!

Got to be instructed by most of them in 07, and must say, they are great at what they do... I love Ian and Adam! :tongue: