Is it worth it?

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

Firstly, I really don't want to give up my entire summer.

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

It's a ton of money.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I’m not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

I know because I've done it and it's true.

Try DCA. I'm not sure where you are at but DCAs only perform and practice on the weekend most of the time, it is less money in the end and it will get your feet wet in the Drum corps world and you may like it a lot. You may not.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of kids like the OP go into drum corps thinking its going to be like the second weekend in August the whole summer. They think "I'm an allstar in my high school/college band. I'll be a rock star in drum corps!" They watch the finals videos of Phantom and Cavaliers and think that is how it is going to be. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll say it again. Drum corps is hard. The hardest thing I've ever done both physically, mentally, and emotionally.

That rings...very true for me. I came to that realization in the second week of Spring Training, 2004--I wanted to get the glory, but I had no idea how much work it took and how un-glamorous the lifestyle is.

Ended up marching three years by the way.

But I don't think drum corps is right for everyone, and for some people, it isn't worth it. It stopped being really worth it for me after three years. That wasn't something wrong with the activity, it just was where I was and what I needed to do with my life.

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

Firstly, I really don't want to give up my entire summer.

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

It's a ton of money.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I’m not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

ask yourself the following questions and answer them honestly:1.do i make friends easily.2.am i a good listener.3.can i make sacrifices of both time and money.4.am i in good physical condition.5.is myG.P.A. where it needs to be.6.do i wish to become more than i am,today.7.do i have the talent base .8.do i have the support of friends and family,should i choose to participate.the answers to these questions will help you make an informed decision.i have 40 years in drumcorps,so far.the great majority of them,in DCA.My junior years were spent in a corps that followed a "weekend only" model.this was prior to the existence of DCI.from personal experience,i can tell you that the demands are great,but the rewards are greater.ALWAYS place your education at the top of your list.that is your #1 priority.your teacher(s),and parents can help you to make a wise decision and should be consulted,as well. best of luck to you.your honesty,about your concerns,shows a good deal of maturity.

ALWAYS place your education at the top of your list.that is your #1 priority.your teacher(s),and parents can help you to make a wise decision and should be consulted,as well

I found that my GPA made significant leaps upward after a season of DCI...

But yes. Drum corps hurts. It's not fun, and it makes no sense. You will sweat and bleed. You'll be more physically and emotionally drained than you ever have been before. And you'll make the best friends you'll ever have and learn a lot about yourself and about life. You'll grow and mature, and when you come home, you'll have a different outlook on things.

When I got back from my first season (I was going into my junior year of high school), I no longer really enjoyed hanging out with my old friends because they all seemed so juvenile. High school band also seemed childish, but I stuck it out because while it bored me a lot of the time, I had a lot of respect for my band directors and wanted to encourage other kids to march. I didn't think quitting would set a very good example for them to follow.

Drum corps isn't for everyone, but like others have said, the fact that you posted on DCP hints that you have the right desire. You just need a little more motivation and encouragement. You can get through it, so long as you tell yourself you can. I'm pretty sure we've all been in the situation when hearing it from someone else is what kept us on our feet. Give it a shot. I think you'll surprise yourself with what you're capable of doing.

I auditioned for the Reading Buccaneers in 2006, while I was still in HS. I decided to not participate because of time and I didn't really know what was expected, I just wanted to play my drum. Im auditioning at Carolina Crown this year, and I regret not marching EVERY SINGLE SEASON. While this year is not my age out, next year will be, and I envy all of those who have marched 3, 4, 5 or more years. Is it worth constantly running, doing push ups, sleeping on gym floors/coach buses? hell yes. I will never get over it if I do not march. Its almost like I HAVE to march. AT LEAST go to the audition camp, its money well worth spent.

If you think you are too young, then you probably are. However, if you want to change your life forever, then fly into Denver on November 28, then take a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to Laramie, Wyoming,

do this, and your life will never be the same.

Can you say the word "Troopers"?

Marching drum corps is such a rewarding experience that the words "can't be done" will not be in your lexicon. It is very emotionally draining, but I remember being depressed when September rolled around because I didn't know what to do with my time. I couldn't wait to get back to rehearsals.

OP you should be warned that one critic of Drum Corps described this thing of ours as monastic and almost cult like. IMHO he wasn't totally wrong.

Edited by Bucbari

And I miss it more than anything right now... :lol:

Wait till you see the corps pull up to a show site, as you watch from the stands, for the first time since aging out. That's a weird feeling. However, this too shall pass... (Or, at least, lessen.)