Spirit Announces 2009 Program

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I think ajawon was saying someone else posted from his account while he was away from the lab for a few minutes. Maybe you should try blasting that guy if ajawon can get him back on.. :tongue:

I honestly think it is a feasible scenario, considering two things: (1) I know the kid and he's never been anything but classy, polite, and honest and (2) said lab was at JSU, and while the relationship between the corps and the university has essentially dissolved, there are a fair amount folks with ties to Spirit still at the university. The are only a few computers in the music lab, and people do forget to log out of forums often. As an alumnus of JSU, I have experienced this first hand numerous times both with DCP and the forum of the Marching Southerners.

I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, I'm just giving my two cents.

As for the show, I'm really looking forward to see it. I wasn't on board with the idea of it at first glance, after thinking about, I have confidence that the corps has the ability to move in a positive direction.

you know when I first started reading their announcement and they said something like they were going back to tradition I was thinking Yes spirit's going back to the southern style music that made them unique in the activity.

But Kansas could be good too as long as it's well written and they choose the right pieces.

I actually liked Northern Auroras Kansas show.

yeah i did too, and loved the Renegades version of Dust In The Wind the other year.

now if they hack it up like cavies did with Billy Joel, then ugh, but i'll hold out hope.

Kansas belongs on the radio.

not the football field.

:tongue:

Bad choice.

Hmmm...

Spartacus belongs on the stage and/or performance hall, not the football field.

James Bond belongs on the screen, not the football field.

Phantom of the Opera belongs in the Theater District, not the football field.

What's your point? What music "belongs" on the football field?

You know, I marched a Kansas show once.

In college marching band... :tongue:

I'm not saying drum corps has to be musically intellectual or deepm, but come on!

Kansas? Are you joking??

I will try to give it a fair shot, though.

Hotdogs, anyone?

And I played New World Symphony on the field in high school band. So I guess I shouldn't have liked Phantom's 1898 show?

Sure, the music of Kansas is not as musically intellectual or deep as Bartok or Khachaturian...thank God. I don't want that from Spirit...we get that from other corps. For a change, Spirit might actually have something DIFFERENT on the field this year, adding to diversity in the activity and giving us something entertaining.

What music "belongs" on the football field?

Rock and Roll Part 2? :tongue:

To reiterate my point, Kansas just seems really low-brow.

I believe The Knights did some Kansa tunes back in the 80's with a small corps and it worked. I am excited to hear what Spirit does with this HIGH energy music.

The Geneseo Knights did "Jesus Christ Superstar" in 1985, and the next year did a show which included Kansas's "Relentless", as well as several other pop tunes. I think could be a great show for Spirit.