Corps that needed to be put out of misery

Remember those corps that were so bad you felt embarrassed and wanted to slap the "so-called staff" around for putting the kids through the embarrassment?

What corps would you put on the list?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember those corps that were so bad you felt embarrassed and wanted to slap the "so-called staff" around for putting the kids through the embarrassment?

I actually tried this once. It didn't work. Don't ask.

Steve Solombrino

Dunno - as bad as I may have thought some corps were, I never saw any of the the kids who marched in them complain. In fact they seemed as proud to be on the field and performing as any other corps out there. they were having a blast. far be it for me to judge whether they deserved to exist or not.

Now ask the same question in the DCA/all age forum and I'll speed reply......

There were many corps over the decades that fit into this category. Most were due to small numbers (or young ages of its members). They may have been better off in parades, or indoor performances.

Without mentioning any names, I would nominate any of those corps that went on the field with 2 or 3 horns, as one eastern corps did for several years. The kids deserved a medal for showing up week after week, year after year.

Having seen the corps most likely being described in the previous post, I would point out that any attempt to judge a corps program "not worthy" is a treacherous undertaking. Perhaps it is this thread that will need to be put out of it's misery....

I agree.I would not want to slam any program. talk about putting your head on a chopping block!? not me! :rolleyes:

I would never condemn a "corps" identifying the corps as the sum of its members... and of course would NEVER blame the kids on the field...

I have - on the rarest of occasions - had the thought "child abusers" - wander through my thick brain when thinking about the management/staff of one or two corps... fortunately - one or two over 50 years ain't too bad...

It'sn not the members fault obviously....but staff members who write over the heads of the kids. They are the ones who should be beat!

I commend any group of kids who have the guts to go out on the field and have a try at it. I've seen some really bad corps over the past 40 plus years but in the end you just have to cheer them on for trying. I would say the same for the instructional staff. At least they gave it a shot and maybe they'll connect with that one kid who may go on to bigger things. :rolleyes:

Edited by amadorj

I wouldn't dump on a corps that was a failure either ... The corps staff, on the other hand, is a different story.

Edited by DCIHasBeen