2008 DCI DVD Reissue . . .

Where does it say this has to do with the composer? DCI said it was a mechanical rights issue, not an arranging issue; that would seem to be something with the publisher, not the composer, if anyone.

Someone seriously dropped the ball on this one (and since this is a mech. rights issue, not someone at Regiment). Anyone out there involved in the actual legal realm (rather than the speculation realm) of copyright law who could shed some light on precedence for this sort of thing would be nice.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so dumb.

nuff' said....thread over!! :thumbup:

Where does it say this has to do with the composer? DCI said it was a mechanical rights issue, not an arranging issue; that would seem to be something with the publisher, not the composer, if anyone.

Someone seriously dropped the ball on this one (and since this is a mech. rights issue, not someone at Regiment). Anyone out there involved in the actual legal realm (rather than the speculation realm) of copyright law who could shed some light on precedence for this sort of thing would be nice.

I read it to be a problem with the synchronization rights.......which could be held by either the composer or the publisher depending on how their contract was written. The part that really sucks about a lot of the problems people are having with copyright clearance is that even if you ask and get permission, they can still change their mind later.....it's happened to at least one WGI world finalist on more than one occasion. We all send out our letters asking for permission to use the music, but there's really nothing to stop them from changing their mind before the video is actually made and released....or even later.

2008 has turned out to be a bad year for recording Gold Medal World Championship performances. We have the removal of a significant portion of Phantom's show and earlier this year WGI had to take out the audio for a significant portion of Rhythm X's 1st place performance...and the edit wasn't seamless...video with no audio.

#### lawyers! :thumbup:

Yeah, this is not a new thing in the WGI world; obviously it's a first for DCI (at least DCI World Finalists/Champions). Too bad.

Let the dvd ripping begin in earnest... :thumbup:

I'm not at all familiar with exactly what happened in this situation, but since it is a European composer, it is possible that he initially granted the synchronization rights and then ultimately withdrew his grant of right after seeing the work. In Europe there are "moral rights" that artists have where they can object to how their works are exploited. Since he couldn't have seen the work before it was actually put onto the DVD, he couldn't object until after it was created. This is the only thing that I can think of as to why the DVDs were initially shipped with a full Phantom, but with a musicless section in Troopers. But, I am not a European copyright attorney.

See my earlier post -- it is, was and always will be the "Discretion of the releasing artist/composer".

Once the music (rearranged in Regiments format) was changed, adn monies WILL BE generated from the "use of" .... they can and always will change their minds... whoever they are if they are not recieving additional compensation (IE: royalties), Hence, we see Regiment in the predicament others have faced -- especially when it (the DCI win and the music/show they won it with) was so dear to them......... especially this year!

Why couldn't this occurred in 2004? Probably because DCI has recieved a monumental increase in DVD sales BECAUSE odf said show and music..... and the originator is not given just due and hence, have 'changed their minds'.

this is speculation of course, but with two years of business law... I have hear and seen it allll in similiar contexts........

END

so many.... amateur lawyers... headache... flashbacks...

AHHHH

Yea i know.... amatuer yes, but a direct witness and participant in similiar instances, I assure you!