Michael "Cozy" Baker Passes Away

JohnD

Wow. Too soon... too soon.

Via con dios, Cozy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still in shock. Just realizing that I have witnessed Cozy's involvement on the West Coast and East Coast. In DCI and in DCA. On the filed, on the stage and behind the scenes. And course the pages of Drum Corps World and Planet. If ever there was a reason to play higher, faster, louder this is it. Horns to the high box. This one is for Cozy.

RIP bro

Cozy ran a corps of his own (Mirage of Dayton, OH) in the mid-'90s, and has been a very valuable supporter of the ever-more-nationwide all-age activity, performing all sorts of tasks behind the scenes. I doubt we'll ever properly document all that he has done in that regard. He will be sorely missed....

I've had an idea for another way we can all pay tribute to Cozy.

I'd like to do a Box Center podcast episode dedicated to Cozy. This would be the first episode of 2009 and I would like to do it before the memorial in Alabama on the 18th.

The show would feature only stories and memories we all have about Cozy, much like this thread and it's companion thread in the All-Age forum. The difference is that each of us would be telling the story in our own voices.

Once the show is edited and completed, I hope to make a copy on CD and get it to the memorial to be presented to Cozy's family as a permanent reminder of how wonderful a human being Cozy was. I will also release it on the Box Center RSS feed at the same time as the memorial so those of us who can't make it to the memorial can, in a small way, take part in remembering Cozy.

If you would like to participate, please do one of the following:

1. Call the Box Center hotline at 330-871-7965 and leave a message.

2. Leave a voice message on Skype with username "kevingamin"

3. Record a message in MP3 or WAV format and email it to boxcenter@drumcorpsplanet.com

You can tell a Cozy story or offer your thoughts and prayers to Cozy's friends and family.

You can also type up your story and email it to boxcenter@drumcorpsplanet.com. I'll read it on the show.

If somebody could PM me with the years and corps Cozy marched with, I'll also see about adding audio clips from those shows, as well.

I am truly bummed. I had NO idea he was even sick. I just found out--just called and left a message with Kevin Gamin. Wow Cozy...I'm going to miss you my friend. 'Til we meet again...

I am truly bummed. I had NO idea he was even sick. I just found out--just called and left a message with Kevin Gamin. Wow Cozy...I'm going to miss you my friend. 'Til we meet again...

Got your message, Ryan. It'll be a great addition to the tribute podcast.

Thanks, also, to those of you who have emailed me with your Cozy stories. Keep 'em coming!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody.

I just wanted to give you an update on the Cozy memorial/tribute podcast I'm putting together.

First of all, I'd like to thank those of you who have called or emailed me with stories and messages about Cozy. Playing these stories and reading these messages will demonstrate yet again what a wonderful man Cozy was and how much he touched all of our lives.

It's a week until Cozy's memorial in Alabama. I'd like to put together the final recording of the podcast this Wednesday evening (1/14/09). If you haven't called and left a message or emailed me with your Cozy memories, I'd love it if you did so. If you've posted a story about Cozy in this thread and would like it used in the tribute podcast, just email me the link to your post and I will add it to the finished show.

Here's the contact info to participate in the tribute podcast:

Phone - (330) 871-7965

Skype - kevingamin

Email - boxcenter@drumcorpsplanet.com

You can also PM me via DCP.

I will post the finished product on Sunday. This way those of you who can't be in Alabama can hold your own memorial and share in the moment with those who are there. I will also see about getting the show burned to CD and delivered to Cozy's family so they have a permanent reminder of how much we all loved Cozy.

Thank you all.