Cavies flute player

Hey, how 'bout I pull that slide-whistle slider out to max., then drill me a coupla holes at strategic locations and add a few little lever thingies. Cavaliers could finally play Stars and Stripes for Aki without that obnoxious xylophone doing the piccolo part.

Dale, you forgot to mount it on a spinny thingy. I hear that's all the rage these days.... :thumbdown:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavies did have a guy that could play flute a year or two ago. It was a member of their guard who won Flute I&E. Music Major from Florida State I do believe. Moved on to Madison for this past season though, and I believe won Flute I&E again.
Wow, DCI actually has a flute I&E?? And I always thought they weren't inclusive....

i think it counts as a woodwind but no one really cares

Exactly! But when DCI begins having cello I&E's THEN perhaps we should be concerned.

It isn't nearly as easy to take a cello on tour as it is a flute.

If you took a poll of classical musicians - pianists especially - they would probably not classify the piano as a percussion instrument, even though it clearly qualifes as one given it's method of playing. The reason for this is obvious. Percussion is considered by these same people as an *inferior* part of the orchestra, while the piano is considered the most demanding of all the instruments in the orchestra to play well.

So no mixing the superior with the inferior.

This is along the same lines as when we learned in school that Europe was somehow a separate continent from Asia - even though the two are linked by land. Probably this is due to "huffy white Europeans" not wanting to be associated too closely with those uncivilized, mostly non-white Asians.

Tim

(a descendent of "huffy white Europeans")

Umm, what pianists have you spoken with? Every one I've talked to about this from the Freshman piano major to the Doctors teaching and giving recitals will tell you quite clearly and simply that it's a percussion instrument.

Woody Allen played cello in a marching band doing a parade in "Take the Money and Run". :sad:

But he didn't have to take it on a corps bus during tour. :tongue:

The Piano is sometimes classified as both a percussion and a stringed instrument. According to the Hornbostel-Sachs method of music classification, it is grouped with Chordophones.