Cavies flute player

I don't know if I should laugh at this or not. :tongue:

I remember Madison Scouts bowing vibraphone bars maybe two decades ago. It's a legitimate percussion technique.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, anyone who things a slide whistle is a percussion instrument and not a wind instrument needs to have their head examined. I could care less what the "actual" classification is. A percussion instrument by definition is an instrument that is struck by an object of some kind to create its sound ie. drums, marimbas, vibes, etc. It was a flute plain and simple.

Slide whistle as percussion...Hits on Google.

The bottom line is that they got away with playing a flute because it was one person, and it was in the front line. Do you think they would have gotten away with it had it been a line of ten people actually marching with the instrument like a mello line or something? No way.

First you're saying it's just a matter of semantics, then you say there's some actual reason why you're flipping out. Percussionists play slide whistles, which are technically not idiophones, but (here's the kicker) no one cares. And as far as the slippery slope you followed it up with -- I think if the whole pit got out slide whistles and took a part of the field and played, no one would care still. (Partially because slide whistles don't have any way to predict a tuned pitch without the player having perfect pitch, so it'd just sound ridiculous anyway. Same goes for police whistles, samba whistles, air raid sirens.) Your argument has no meaningful bearing on the activity.

And yes, pianos are a percussion instrument. They're also a string instrument, and a "keyboard instrument." I still don't think anyone's going to lug a piano around with them on tour. Dulcimers, maybe.

I play a slide whistle nightly at Cirque's "Mystère," Las Vegas.

According to my contract, I'm a Percussionist.

Reasoning, then, indicates that a slide whistle, in the 'Real World,' is a Percussion Instrument.

Now, the Woodwind Chair plays a cowbell during a tune...so, reasoning, then, indicates that...

OMG...did I just say woodwind?

First time I saw that was Star 86....beginning of the Close Encounters segment...

was done in 91 as well I think

Saxophones would make great percussion instruments.

hahaha amen to that....because not only did the Cavies need a pianist to play the intro to Angry Young Man they also needed a killer Saxoph...wait i mean Percussionist to play Billy Joels' Insane sax accompany and solo parts hahah

I think he meant something more along the lines of "I would like to hit a saxophone with mallets."

Well, that's certainly what I was thinking.

I think we are all thinking that....mmmmm hitting a saxaphone mmmm....