Item: 20th ann'y of SCV's "Phantom" championship...

I'd just like to call it right now that this Phantom of the Opera II is going to be terrible. That said, a really aggressive, in your face, "modern old-school" interpretation of Phantom of the Opera by SCV could be ok.

Edited by FTNK

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to call it right now that this Phantom of the Opera II is going to be terrible. T

I don't doubt it. Andrew Lloyd Webber is running on fumes at this point . . but, you never know. The original "Phantom" was panned somewhat before it went on to win all those awards.

However, this new one seems to be set in Coney Island . . .what does the Phantom do, lament Nathan's hot dog prices and try to tempt Christine with a coney? :tongue:

I don't doubt it. Andrew Lloyd Webber is running on fumes at this point . . but, you never know. The original "Phantom" was panned somewhat before it went on to win all those awards.

However, this new one seems to be set in Coney Island . . .what does the Phantom do, lament Nathan's hot dog prices and try to tempt Christine with a coney? :tongue:

Apparently, he does this.

I just want to point out that Scheherazade is not a musical in any form.....and that we must remember that opera and musicals are vastly different.

I believe musicals, if done well, could be championship shows once again. Have any of you ever heard Andrew Lippa's "Wild Party"? It's set in the '20s and much of it is jazz influenced. I loved playing in the pit orchestra for it....it had some crazy trumpet parts. With a good arranger that show could be absolutely amazing. It's something I could see BD doing....if you haven't heard it, check it out.

For those who don't attend Open Class events, The Citations did a Wicked show a few years back, and it was a pretty big success as far as audience reaction goes. And as far as Phantom of the Opera is concerned.....I just don't want to see it on the field anymore. I feel as though every corps that does is butchers it more than the last. Just let it rest in peace.

how does he come back from the dead?

how does he come back from the dead?

He didn't die in the musical, just disappeared. The new musical, loosely based on the book The Phantom of Manhattan (which considers itself a "sequel" to the ALW musical, not the Leroux original novel) confirms that he escaped from below the Paris Opera House when he did his little magic trick.

What the book doesn't explain is that the Phantom, after coming to America, secretly became a supporter of the Cadets, going so far as to terrorize George Hopkins with the threat of murder and torture if his ideas were not implemented. There was one occasion where George was forced to make his way across a death trap disguised as a football field using only the hash marks, all because the Phantom wanted a This American Life show. Since then, George just can't handle the Cadets marching on a field without hash marks.

Was that... humor? What's it doing here on DCP?

Sorry, don't know what came over me there.

VK gets first (and only) dibs on this show. :tongue:

Actually, after seeing them last year...and loving the show...I bet the Glassmen could do this up well.

Edit to add:

I also think that a corps doing a show like this would almost have to ditch their unis and do it in costume...as Surf did with their marvelous School's Out show. Come to think of it...I bet Surf could do a great job with Spamalot.

I also think the Cadets could...but I love to see the maroon unis on the field, so I'm torn on them doing it.

He didn't die in the musical, just disappeared. The new musical, loosely based on the book The Phantom of Manhattan (which considers itself a "sequel" to the ALW musical, not the Leroux original novel) confirms that he escaped from below the Paris Opera House when he did his little magic trick.

What the book doesn't explain is that the Phantom, after coming to America, secretly became a supporter of the Cadets, going so far as to terrorize George Hopkins with the threat of murder and torture if his ideas were not implemented. There was one occasion where George was forced to make his way across a death trap disguised as a football field using only the hash marks, all because the Phantom wanted a This American Life show. Since then, George just can't handle the Cadets marching on a field without hash marks.

thats good :tongue:

but the article linked here said he "perished"