Item: 20th ann'y of SCV's "Phantom" championship...

Well, here's something interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28426152/

Webber plans to open “Phantom: Love Never Dies” at the end of 2009, with a historic simultaneous opening in three cities — on Broadway in New York, in London’s West End, and potentially in Shanghai. Such an opening would be groundbreaking.

Is the reign of the musical over in DCI now?

Or is there a possibility that someone, maybe SCV, may try to pick this up for 2010 and use it (and the nostalgia around it)?

Thoughts, speculation and general crackpot theories welcomed. :tongue:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a huge fan of SCV's Phantom shows. I do think the entire Music of the Night section in '89 is pretty powerful stuff, but I have no problem fast-forwarding through the rest of the show to get there. Most likely it's a generational thing, and if I'd been around for drum corps in the 80's and had seen the 1989 show in context of the style of the time, I might have some of the same fond memories of it as many on here.

However, that was 20 years ago. A generation has passed in that time. To bring back a show like that it would need to be dramatically updated, to meet the demand and style of today's programming. Nostalgia is great for those that were there, but I feel like the show is one that was before my time and I'm already five years older than the oldest kid at camp this winter. Would an anniversary show be able to be both competitively successful in today's environment and simultaneously live up to the nostalgia of the past? I don't think so, and think that sometimes it's best for the past to stay in the past.

However, let's just say that Webber's new show comes out to rave reviews (although sequelitis will probably prove that wrong) . . .

. . .and, also, I'm not suggesting SCV (or anyone else) go back and run the original "Phantom" gamut again . . .but could someone take this entirely new Phantom production and make a show out of it?

Granted, I'm sure there would be some 88-89 "coat tail riding" amongst fandom if such were to take place, especially if it was Vanguard who did it.

Can musical theater be viable as championship-level twenty years later?

After all, with electronic sounds and voice amplification, how much different is musical theater than junior drum corps in 2010?

Ah, ok. I think I misunderstood the question originally. To the question of "Can musical theater be viable as championship-level twenty years later?" I would say yes, absolutely. As you pointed out, theatrical programs are in vogue right now, and Spartacus is only the latest example. It all depends on what source material is selected and how its arranged. After all, the genre of "musical" is broad enough that there's plenty to pull from. Just like the genre of "classical", we've seen material work and not work, and we all have ideas of pieces we'd like to see used and those we'd rather not.

I can't say I'm familiar enough with the genre of "musical" to make some selections, but I know many have been calling for a show based on Wicked for years on these boards. If the new Webber piece is any good, I don't see any reason not to use it. Depending on the material, I think even Vanguard could make it work, as long as it distances itself enough from their 1988 & 1989 shows so that it's not competing against them in the minds of spectators.

However, let's just say that Webber's new show comes out to rave reviews (although sequelitis will probably prove that wrong) . . .

. . .and, also, I'm not suggesting SCV (or anyone else) go back and run the original "Phantom" gamut again . . .but could someone take this entirely new Phantom production and make a show out of it?

Granted, I'm sure there would be some 88-89 "coat tail riding" amongst fandom if such were to take place, especially if it was Vanguard who did it.

Can musical theater be viable as championship-level twenty years later?

After all, with electronic sounds and voice amplification, how much different is musical theater than junior drum corps in 2010?

Oh, I think a musical show could work, esp with the opportunity for amplified vocals, as you said. I would love for The Cadets to have Tony and Maria sing if they are going to do much WSS in their show, as an example.

of more modern shows...

I still think a "Ragtime" show could do well. In addition to the title tune and other upbeat numbers there are some great ballad moments in the show.

"Wicked", of course, would be great as well on the field. You could get a good show out of "Hairspray", but I'm not sure it could be a top three show.

Comedy on the field rarely works all that well, but it might be possible with the right staff to create a fun show out of "Spamalot". I think you would NEED micced vocals for that, as a lot of the humor is in the lyrics. You would also need to be able to create visuals like The Cadets did in 2006 and not be afraid of going over the top.

If you need mic'd vocals, you're not a good show designer. VK 96 was going to be Quest for the Holy Grail had they not folded - and it would have been micless.

Mic's are certainly not requisite for humor on the field.

If you need mic'd vocals, you're not a good show designer. VK 96 was going to be Quest for the Holy Grail had they not folded - and it would have been micless.

Mic's are certainly not requisite for humor on the field.

Not to nitpick, but in 96 VK performed a space themed show. 97, the year they ceased fielding a corps, was they year they were planning on performing a Holy Grail show.

I'll say it again...I'd like to see "Phantom without Phantom," a la Faust. Doesn't matter whether its Phantom Regiment, SCV or another corps performing it, IMO. Pick a repertoire that would be a good vehicle to deliver a little bit more literal adaptation of Gaston Leroux's Phantom, not ALW's.

JD Shaw seems to have mastered selecting a repertoire that accomplishes this while being completely unrelated to the theme or storyline it is associated with. Would be interesting for sure.

IMHO, I doubt that ALW's POTO could be used in whole to portray the theme/story in the contemporary DCI. Just my opinion. SCV did a good job with Scheherezade a couple years back...perhaps the classical repertoire's best example of music portraying a story without opera or voice or movement in the actual piece. And its not like they didn't perform the snot out of POTO twice back when.

Might be an interesting Phantom vs. Phantom matchup again. But from what I understand, the 89 corps only saw each other a few times total...this would almost require that they tour together extensively. Just a thought.

Comedy on the field rarely works all that well, but it might be possible with the right staff to create a fun show out of "Spamalot". I think you would NEED micced vocals for that, as a lot of the humor is in the lyrics. You would also need to be able to create visuals like The Cadets did in 2006 and not be afraid of going over the top.

VK gets first (and only) dibs on this show. :tongue: