First 2009 Prediction Poll - All World Class Corps

Oh what the hell, I've got some time to kill, I'll give this a shot:

1. Blue Devils - I started out with the Cadets on top, but the more I looked at it the more it didn't look right. I think when a pick is just too obvious it starts to make me uncomfortable. So I decided to go with old reliable, the corps that in all honesty had the best performance of 2008 and would have won had not Phantom won the crowd and won their freedom.

2. Cadets - One of these two corps will win the title in 2009. And while I can't decide which, I feel pretty good saying that first line. I think I would actually feel better about the Cadets if they weren't giving every sign of taking a more traditional approach. George is still at the helm so I'm sure some liberties will be taken, but the more they push the envelope I think the more I'll like this show.

3. Cavaliers - Lots of changes in key places the last couple seasons, but I don't see them as necessarily being bad changes. Many of their replacements have been in house, or other Cavies guys. I loved Saucedo's stuff, but I'm very excited to see what Shanefield and Gaines put together, as well.

4. Phantom Regiment - Same spot as 2007, but unlike that year I think Phantom's going to be on the right side of the scoring gap in 2009. I don't think the uniform and horn changes are going to have that big of an effect, because they've still got a talented staff and no question they're going to have plenty of talented kids. I think 2008 might be as high as they can get, though, and they won't replicate that kind of competitive and visceral success in 2009.

5. Bluecoats - Changes here as well, but I'm excited for them also. Plus i like the early word on their show so far. Although I liked what they've played the last two years, 2005 and 2006 are some of my favorite shows. Imagine sounds like it might have more in common with Connexus than Criminal.

6. Crown - When it comes to Crown vs. Bloo, I'll admit to preferring the latter in most year, so make of that what you will. Crown could very well get fifth, but I don't it likely that they'll get any higher than that. I believe the Cadets are going to be back, while Crown won't match 2008. In both cases, it'll just be regression to the mean.

7. Santa Clara Vanguard - SCV will be slotted here all year. The top seven will still be clearly above the rest of the field, but I don't think Vanguard will match any of the corps ahead of them. I say that partly because it's been the recent history and partly because I haven't been less excited for an SCV show since 2005.

8. Blue Knights - The most talented of the remaining finalist corps, though they don't always get recognized as such by the fans because of they style of show they produce. It took one of the great success stories in the history of DCI to knock BK out of this spot last year, I don't expect that will happen again.

9. Boston Crusaders - They put up really strong numbers early before peaking. If they can avoid that, then they should have a strong year.

10. Blue Stars - This will be very interesting, to see where this corps goes after breaking 90 last year. They've got an impressive staff that knows how to keep corps in finals, but I don't care for the shows that this staff has created in the past. I will quickly admit that I may be guilty of what I said about BK, that I may be rating these guys too low just because I don't like their style of show as much as others do, but I'm not yet ready to place Blue Stars higher than this after just one year back in finals.

11. Crossmen - I'm totally buying into the hype. No corps is going to make better use of synth coming out of the gate than these guys, and this staff is the number one reason I'm excited that the electronics rule passed. My personal preference would actually be to hear Aaron Guidry write an original show, rather than the 'greatest hits' approach he's taken in some past Reagan and Crossmen shows.

12. Glassmen - An underrated corps last year, maybe not in the standings but certainly in the amount of buzz they generated. I think they pulled off absurdity even better than the Blue Devils did (though the Blue Devils pulled off just about everything else better), a pleasant surprise for me in Bloomington.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if the World Class corps finished in alpha order...

1. Academy

2. Bluecoats

3. Blue Devils

4. Blue Knights

5. Blue Stars

6. Boston Crusaders

7. Cadets

8. Carolina Crown

9. Cavaliers

10. Colts

11. Crossmen

12. Glassmen

13. Jersey Surf

14. Madison Scouts

15. Mandarins

16. Pacific Crest

17. Phantom Regiment

18. Pioneer

19. SCV

20. Seattle Cascades

21. Spirit

22. Troopers

1st- see August 8, 2009

2nd- see above

3rd- see above also

4th- you get the idea

1. 27th Lancers

2. Bridgemen

3. Star of Indiana

4. Muchachos

5. Kingsmen

6. Sky Ryders

7. Black Knights

8. Seneca Optimists

9. East Coast Jazz

10. Southwind

11. Magic of Orlando

12. Guardsmen

Do you think you're funny? Someone does this every time. Get new material.

Matt S.

Without even seeing or hearing any corps entire show on or off the field, how do you come to these conclusions about how each corps shows will shake out??

Just curious

Wake up on the wrong side of the bus seat did ya? Or did your bus partner lean on you and drool on your shoulder? Man, this is supposed to be fun. Thanks for flaming!

Eh, he has a point. I'm not sure we've ever gotten through a prediction thread here without at least a few such "clever" posts.