4 Holy Name Cadets

3 Blue Devils

2 Santa Clara Vanguard

1 Phantom Regiment

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me numbers and talent and I would think that Pioneer could place much higher than their usual placement.

This years music is a lot hipper than what you are used to. Even if a portion of it is Celtic. There are many positives to Pioneer.

Donny

Okay, I'll play even though I haven't heard anyone

12 Spirit

11 Blue Knights

10 Glassmen

9 Troopers

8 Blue Coats

7 Blue Stars

6 Carolina Crown

5 Madison Scouts

4 Holy Name Cadets

3 Blue Devils

2 Santa Clara Vanguard

1 Phantom Regiment

Why did you leave Boston out of the top 12. With key staff returning and talented corp members returning looks like they will be headed back into the top 5.

Why did you leave Boston out of the top 12. With key staff returning and talented corp members returning looks like they will be headed back into the top 5.

So, you noticed Boston out of the top twelve, but not Cavies being absent...?

Eh...what the hell, here goes:

1) Blue Devils: Perhaps, maybe, with the new electronics rule . . .BD will do a show that resembles their jazz heritage. Since Cadets are doing WSS again, what about a Chick Corea show? Welcome to 1994 all over again, heh. Anyway, BD always brings their A game, even if I don't like their recent shows all that much. With no staff turnover, and missing it by so little last year . . .I'd give 'em good odds to win in August.

2) Phantom Regiment: Phantom won't have another "after championship let down year" like 1997 . . .I have a feeling that horns and drums will be the strong point yet again, but guard may keep them from a repeat. Pretty close between BD and PR Finals week, but Phantom will start slow and lose a few regionals along the way and gradually make up ground.

3) Cavaliers: This is a question mark . . .if the brass book under the new team ends up being stronger than years past, they could probably win. However, staff turnover might prevent them from gelling and creating a late-season surge. I'm almost positive they'll win multiple regionals, splitting 'em with BD.

4) Cadets: If we weren't rehashing WSS for the most part, they'd be higher. While the familiarity is there for people, there may be burnout for the marching band and drum corps audience. Just adding electronics won't instantly metamorph WSS into something new and cool. We've all heard if before, for the most part (really, can't you hear that mid voice "Sommmme-where"/dissonant contra tone, repeat" ending to "Somewhere" in your head yet again? . . . not to mention Crown did that last year, heh.) Anyhoo, the kids will play the hell out of this, but poppa's gonna need a brand new bag to get past the top three.

5) Carolina Crown: Rumor being what it is, there's some talk of ". . . the grass is always greener" being another "modern v. classics" show in the style of 2004/2005 (a ballad drawn from pop music, various interlacing of classical in the opener, you know the general feel of these). While that may not be true, Crown needs to go for the jugular this year in programming to take the next step into the rarefied air of the top three, and I don't think we'll see that just yet. Now is not the time to play it safe, IMO.

6) Bluecoats: I appreciate the jazz-flavored offerings that they seem to be putting out this year (if reports on here and elsewhere are correct), but there's the issue of staff retention (yeah, I used that excuse again). If everything gels in August, I can see them easily in fourth place, though.

7) Blue Stars: Last year was no fluke, and there's a lot of things to be excited about in LaCrosse. This is my wildcard, ahead of Blue Knights and SCV. The more you watch the corps over the years since their return to Division I, the more you realize what a great organization it is. Easy to grasp programming and an improved visual package could very well put them in 7th.

8) Blue Knights: This is the safe place to put them year after year. . . and until BK changes things up a little (please, no more "Knight ____" shows, or exercises in dissonance that don't go anywhere . . .more of the 2006 stuff, though), might as well leave them there.

9) Vanguard: Even though Fiedler is near the top of the organization, there seems to be a bit of a revolving door here. Add in a show concept that is somewhat safe (much like WSS, how many different interpretations of Appalachian Spring can be done?), and Vanguard could possibly be looking at a down year. I haven't been sold on SCV since 2004/2005, so we'll see.

10) Crossmen: Electronics make the difference here. Seems like Guidry is aware of where and how to use them well . . .and barring a show concept that isn't flat (or tries to show off the "new toys" too much), I'm fairly certain X-Men will be back to performing on Saturday night.

11) Boston Crusaders: Boston's show concept sounds like fun, and it's hard to imagine them down this far . . .but, the goalposts have changed as we add yet another new rule to the mix. I don't know if the "Myst" stuff will mesh well into the show concept, but we'll see. Still, it will probably be a good one to listen to on the CD's . . .and that's about all you can ask for, anyway.

12) Glassmen: Guard is a strength of late, but other sections need to pick it up . . .I think they'll sneak past Madison (part deux of a show that was "Latin Lite") and Spirit to get into the big show. If Glassmen falter going down the stretch, Scouts are in.

It'll be fun to look back in August and see the epic fail this list has wrought. :thumbup:

Give me numbers and talent and I would think that Pioneer could place much higher than their usual placement.

This years music is a lot hipper than what you are used to. Even if a portion of it is Celtic. There are many positives to Pioneer.

Donny

Are you implying that you don't currently have the numbers or talent to realize a higher placement? Just curious cause it looks like that is what you're implying.

That can be said of almost any corps out there outside of the top 6 or 8.

I obviously don't have to tell you this, but recruiting numbers and talent is part of the gig and you are going to have to get both in order to see the corps reach its scoring potential.

jesus christ, that's like 5 people now

Bluecoats!

not Blue Coats!