5 Favorite Moments from 2008 DCI

-Crown's Hornline as usual

-Cavies' Drum Solo (Clean single sticking 16ths at like 190bpm, SICK SICK SICK. And the dance was icing on the cake.)

-Cavies' Jump Move (no idea what the proper word for it is.)

-Listening to BD warm up. Space chords is one thing on youtube, live = :rolleyes::thumbup::lol: :lol: :tic:

-Phantom. All of it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many great moments.

and I know it is not really part of the show, but for me it was Phantoms 2 asst. drum majors dragging the dead drum major out for finals retreat and just dropping his lifeless body onto the front sideline with all the rest of the drum majors standing at attention! That was great! Taking the theme right to the end! Of course he had to jump up pretty quick after he was presented with the first award of the night, the Disney award.

The best finals in many, many years!

Cant wait for this year.

The best finals in many, many years!

Cant wait for this year.

You summed it up! This year every single corps in Div1 was better than the level they played at a couple years ago. Even the 17th place corps are extremely talented now. If any one of the top 4 played their programs 5 years ago they would have gotten 99.8. The bar has been raised SO high now. I'm amazed every year at what they do better.

I wanted to add Crowns opener to my list now after listening to it again tonight. That hornline is a major bonor!

1) Crown... all of Claire de Lune

2) Regiment... "I am Spartacus".

3) Bluecoats... Shout Chorus

4) Bluecoats... Speed Bag Perc Feature

5) Crown... Opening Hit/1812 to End (or Finis)

Blue Stars score announced sealing their spot in finals.

Blue Stars on the line...I cried like a baby all week long and that opener didn't help me any! lol

Seeing Blue Stars on the field for grand finale.

Sorry guys, but it was all about my corps this year...

1st time I saw Phantom's show.

Finals scores for top 2...the tension was electric.

You know, I think the high brass re-entry towards the end of Clair de Lune, Bluecoats Boxer feature, Cadets drill at the end of the show, BD's opening drum groove and Crown's brass sound are the only things I really enjoyed this season. Drum corps kind of bored me this year other than that.

the high brass re-entry towards the end of Clair de Lune

That was one of my moments of the year also, just stunning. The entire Crown show for that matter. They really laid it all on the line by designing what was arguably the most difficult program out there, and their execution was superb. Plus they did it with a show that really connected with most of the audience. :tongue::tongue:

The rest of my list would include:

SCV's opening - both the music and the visuals kept me spellbound

'Coats Boxer hit and chorus - just huge

Cavies - the textures from the percussion really sold me on the show concept

Blue Stars - made a statement of quality right from their pre-show, so wonderful to see them back

-and of course-

Regiment - 'nuff said

1. Phantom's entire show. Well designed.

2. Cavies jumping into forms.

3. Cadets show - the run to the end. Non-stop excitement. Please give an entire show like that.

I only have three. This year wasn't really that exciting for me. Crown had a great show, but I didn't like it as well as I did 2007. Now THAT was a great show IMO.

Phantom's encore performance - WOW. My favorite moment in 2008 was watching from the first row on about the 40, and seeing the faces of the color guard all sobbing when the slaves revolt and finally throw off their chains. Amazing, I don't think I'll ever forget that. So emotional.

The ending of Crown's show. All of the nods to past shows, the amazing rifle tosses, and then there was that tuba feature... :tongue: I saw this show a few times throughout the summer, but my favorite was in West Chester, PA - I was visiting with some friends and watched it from down by the track.. so much energy coming off that field!

Crossmen's ballad - the flags were gorgeous and I loved how the music was put together. Another post reminded me about that.. but I'm glad they did. Awesome moment in their show and of DCI '08 in general.

Vanguard's last costume change in the guard. The flash of all of that blue came out of nowhere. Didn't see them until finals and I felt like I must've blinked and missed so much. Definitely cool.

"In second place...." SO fun. I was frantically trying to keep up with scores to text a friend (a Phantom alum) and just about died. The second hush before they read off Phantom's score was my favorite part. The margin made people go even crazier.

Thanks to all of the corps in 2008 for a GREAT season to be a part of! :tongue: