Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

Thanks for the link, lot of details I didn't know before. Still unsure who will be running the corps immediately or after things get sorted out. New BoD(?) and LaFlamme might step down due to "health issues" but then he says "We are here to re-organize...". We???

his nephew, Paul LaFlamme Jr., is the one given credit for the information about Peter stepping down, and Paul is also the one with the "we" quote...the article should have just used first names as well, ha

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops I hit the 2 instead of 5, wow I am so glad you guys corrected me, not sure what I would do without you guys. You guys should have been on the Spartans BOD, maybe you could have helped out and saved them from all of this.

So I'll re-type it, 50 years being a non profit, That's 50 years helping kids, teaching, educating and having a community involved. Not bad if you ask me. Sometimes all good things must come to an end.

So, CT no matter how many times you pull a whoops, or how many times you retype your sentence for emphasis, or how many times you try to ridicule other members, or how many times you layer on another level of ineffective sarcasm, the Spartans are STILL IN A FISCAL BIND. I'm not so sure you understand the reality of the situation. 50 years of etc etc has nothing to do with the current level of sustainability found in this corps.

You seem to be misinterpreting this thread as some sort of pleasure that Spartans are going bankrupt. Nothing could be further from the truth. However, it's painfully clear that their current management team is not up to the task of keeping the corps alive, and there should be a great deal of concern is the same group of people is trying to rebuild after casting them into this mess in the first place.

his nephew, Paul LaFlamme Jr., is the one given credit for the information about Peter stepping down, and Paul is also the one with the "we" quote...the article should have just used first names as well, ha

Thanks, not the first time I got corn-fused by the Telegraph about which LaFlamme is talking or being talked about..... **ugh**

Just checked the corps website again and appears nothing updated since the practice cancelled notice from about 2-3 weeks agao. Even the corps forum has a last updated day of Feb 18. Anyone have any idea if the site got locked down by the legal issues? Or perhaps the person(s) responsible for maintaining the site had the contract terminated. Not pushing rumors, just wondering....

could be that whoever updates the website just doesn't feel like it or has been asked to stop or something along those lines...when Capital Sound decided to go inactive the site was stripped of all internal links and just a public message was put up (and another one more recently) yet the webmaster is still out there somewhere.

don't know the story of what's going on there, just noticed it. so perhaps something is similar with Spartans

Thanks, not the first time I got corn-fused by the Telegraph about which LaFlamme is talking or being talked about..... **ugh**

Just checked the corps website again and appears nothing updated since the practice cancelled notice from about 2-3 weeks agao. Even the corps forum has a last updated day of Feb 18. Anyone have any idea if the site got locked down by the legal issues? Or perhaps the person(s) responsible for maintaining the site had the contract terminated. Not pushing rumors, just wondering....

I guess for the sake of...well, sake, it appears there is a glimmer the corps could continue and even field this season. However, and this is a BIG however. I think the time for current management of the corps to step aside. Maybe the nephew has enough talent to make it work this year, but I don't think the reemergance from this will occur if a "shadow management" of the organization is set up behind the scenes.

Also, there is still the dreaded transportation issue. The kids would need to get to shows, parades, concerts, etc. No telling how that is going to be paid for.

Big challenges..yes. Maybe too many for the corps to jump back into it this year. But, perhaps enough interested folks could keep the essence going.

If I was a parent in the organization, I guess I wouldn't be definitively asking for Peter's removal. I would try to look at things rationally. He has a great deal of institutional knowledge...he and the Board screwed up. Big time. The questions I'd be asking is...how are things going to change? How are things going to be different? Why would I invest my dollars here for my sons/daughters musical education? I would also be researching my alternatives.

I think the thing that is so upsetting about this particular set of problems facing this corps is that...they were so rock solid for such a long time. Even as late as two years ago, they were going through World Class evaluation from DCI. So, this speaks about many issues beyond the Spartans.

But, I go back to...by now...a tired rant. Drum corps cannot expect business as usual to continue to work. Bingo...all but dead as a fundraiser in so many states now. Corps have to look at less potential revenue because of the economic times we face. So, smarter, leaner, more innovative...sometimes true art comes not from doing more with more...but rather...doing more with very little.

If I was this mythical parent...would my son or daughter lose out if the corps decided local concerts and parades were in the best interest of rebuilding this organization? Very likely. Would my son or daughter really miss anything? If they were a potential ageout...yeah...most likely. But, if they had a few years left...I might be inclined to take a chance...work with this local organization to help it rebuild. The more smart people you put in the room, the better chance this would have to work.

Good luck Spartans. Peter...please learn from this. You owe the organization at least that much. A little harsh? Maybe. But, as someone who has worked and watched Peter with this corps since the mid 1990s...it takes a certain amount of humility to learn from events like this. I hope for the sake of the Spartans...he has learned.

could be that whoever updates the website just doesn't feel like it or has been asked to stop or something along those lines...when Capital Sound decided to go inactive the site was stripped of all internal links and just a public message was put up (and another one more recently) yet the webmaster is still out there somewhere.

don't know the story of what's going on there, just noticed it. so perhaps something is similar with Spartans

Yeah, I was thinking being asked/told not to update the site while everything being processed thru the courts. Either that or the updater is being paid and when the checks stopped, the updates stopped.

If I was this mythical parent...would my son or daughter lose out if the corps decided local concerts and parades were in the best interest of rebuilding this organization? Very likely. Would my son or daughter really miss anything? If they were a potential ageout...yeah...most likely. But, if they had a few years left...I might be inclined to take a chance...work with this local organization to help it rebuild. The more smart people you put in the room, the better chance this would have to work.

Another question...or maybe a "part 2" to your questions...would my son or daughter WANT to stay in such an organization over the summer? It would be nice if the answer were 'yes' for most, but who knows....and I would not blame anyone who decided that 'no' was their answer.

"The only thing is that is sad is the core of people reminding us how sad it is. Do you think if you wave your finger hard enough someone is NH will run and hide?"

If you can't spell corps, you should not be on this web site. go home. you're cut.

"The only thing is that is sad is the core of people reminding us how sad it is. Do you think if you wave your finger hard enough someone is NH will run and hide?"

If you can't spell corps, you should not be on this web site. go home. you're cut.

I think he was referencing a core, as in a small central group of people, not a drum corps.

Wow... Open mouth to insert foot. It's just like getting into a fight with your wife and storming out of the house, only to realize that you left your keys on the kitchen table.

"Core" was actually proper usage in this situation... which could only mean one thing...

YOU are cut.

:cool: