Being Cut because you're fat?

All I'm saying is that the corps does have the responsibility to look after the health of its members, especially minors. If a member is showing clear signs of an eating disorder and the corps doesn't take action, they absolutely bear some responsibility for any health problems that member develops.

Oh yes, if someone does have an eating disorder while with the corps i reallllly hope that they would do something to help that member. I'm pretty sure they all would. It is just people who come back from being cut and develop an eating disorder because one of the reasons they were cut was because of their weight... I'm not to sure that actually happens a lot, if it happens at all.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... yes, I knew you'd comment about me rather than the topic. It's flattering to know you care so much about what I have to say.

HH

. ..especially since your initial response was a rather oblique, ham-handed attempt at trying to respond to my initial post concerning DCI without "responding" to it. . . .but, then again, we can discuss the messenger and not the message all day long, no?

Anyway, yeah . . .agree to disagree, and all that. Rather than argue the niceties of DCI or whatever again, I think everyone can at least agree that there's somewhere out there for everyone.

I'm sorry, but as a person in the fitness industry, I do not buy for one second that you have known guys that were 50 lbs overweight but at the front of the running block everyday. Anyone who is 50 lbs overweight is obese and out of shape.

As a person in the fitness industry, you should know that many elite athletes are overweight, but are neither obese nor out of shape.

All I'm saying is that the corps does have the responsibility to look after the health of its members, especially minors. If a member is showing clear signs of an eating disorder and the corps doesn't take action, they absolutely bear some responsibility for any health problems that member develops.

It's pretty difficult to have an eating disorder on tour and not survive. It's too hot and you're burning too many calories. You'd probably pass out or die within the first two days. I would guess that most eating disorders that members suffer from happen during the off-season when people are trying to "get in shape" for the summer. Unfortunately, "get in shape" for some people can mean unhealthy eating habits, instead of the consistent exercise and well-balanced diet that is the real secret to losing weight/getting healthy. People nowadays hear someone say "lose weight" and their first impulse is to stop eating, to try some crazy pill or newfangled diet. My mom's a dietician, and the one thing she's always told me is that if there were an easy way to lose weight and keep it off, everyone would be skinny. Crazy diets don't work. Pills don't work. Not eating doesn't work. The only real way is lots of exercise and a well-balanced diet. But that's neither "easy" nor "fun," so it's unfortunately not something a lot of people follow through with.

That said, eating disorders are often caused by things other than a desire to lose weight. There's a lot of psychology behind it, and to blame it all on a staff member that says "Get in shape" is a little shortsighted. Not to mention the fact that it's impossible for a staff member to constantly be checking up on a member during the off-season. And, as I said before, it's pretty #### impossible for someone to make it through the entire summer with an eating disorder. You'd die, really.

Wow :thumbs-up:

way to take things out of context

eating disorders are a touchy subject... but i'm pretty positive that no staff member from any corps would say things in ANY way to make someone make unhealthy choices... i would put all blame on the eating disorder on the person who has it. Sorry if I am offending anyone, but it's just how I feel. Anyone I have ever known who has an eating disorder it is a personal mental issue, not caused by someone saying your overweight.

OK, here's the context... it's still an ignorant statement.

If it were all the person's fault, there wouldn't be a correlation between eating disorders and, say, abusive parents, as an example. That's something outside the individual. Even without such correlations, it's not the person's fault even if the person is altering their own eating habits.

And FYI I have read stories about people developing an eating disorder from repeatedly being told they were fat. EDIT: And to agree with the above poster, it very often does develop as a result of things other than the desire to lose weight. It's more common in perfectionists, some of whom develop it because it comforts them to have control over some aspect of their lives. It is definitely a very psychologically complex disorder.

Edited by Supersonic

As a person in the fitness industry, you should know that many elite athletes are overweight, but are neither obese nor out of shape.

Touche. Muscle weighs more than fat. I would actually say mosta professional athletes are, from a BMI standpoint, overweight. Hardly obese, and hardly out of shape.

It's pretty difficult to have an eating disorder on tour and not survive. It's too hot and you're burning too many calories. You'd probably pass out or die within the first two days. I would guess that most eating disorders that members suffer from happen during the off-season when people are trying to "get in shape" for the summer. Unfortunately, "get in shape" for some people can mean unhealthy eating habits, instead of the consistent exercise and well-balanced diet that is the real secret to losing weight/getting healthy. People nowadays hear someone say "lose weight" and their first impulse is to stop eating, to try some crazy pill or newfangled diet. My mom's a dietician, and the one thing she's always told me is that if there were an easy way to lose weight and keep it off, everyone would be skinny. Crazy diets don't work. Pills don't work. Not eating doesn't work. The only real way is lots of exercise and a well-balanced diet. But that's neither "easy" nor "fun," so it's unfortunately not something a lot of people follow through with.

That said, eating disorders are often caused by things other than a desire to lose weight. There's a lot of psychology behind it, and to blame it all on a staff member that says "Get in shape" is a little shortsighted. Not to mention the fact that it's impossible for a staff member to constantly be checking up on a member during the off-season. And, as I said before, it's pretty #### impossible for someone to make it through the entire summer with an eating disorder. You'd die, really.

You're absolutely right on all of this. I was merely responding to the idea that an eating disorder is automatically and always the sole responsibility of the person suffering from it.

OK, here's the context... it's still an ignorant statement.

If it were all the person's fault, there wouldn't be a correlation between eating disorders and, say, abusive parents, as an example. That's something outside the individual. Even without such correlations, it's not the person's fault even if the person is altering their own eating habits.

And FYI I have read stories about people developing an eating disorder from repeatedly being told they were fat.

Okay so it's not really "their fault" we can get scientific... it is caused by something being wrong in the brain... not very scientific... hell that's why i'm a music major...

I was told my whole life, repeatedly, almost on a daily basis that I was fat, and needed to lose weight.. did I develop an eating disorder? Nope.. it's all a mental thing, yeah EVERYTHING has outside influences, but it all comes down to what that person chooses, we were born with free will were we not?

I am sympathetic to those with eating disorders who are really trying to do something about it, and when they realize how it was developed.. most of the blame has to go on the individual.