Other non-talent related criteria for being cut....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might wanna check it out and confirm. Caption head to techs.

If you want it to be all about education and providing a great experience to the kids, then bring back all the little local corps so everyone gets a chance. As things exist today with so few slots for so many auditionees, they can choose whatever they want. Even if it is only brunettes with blue eyes and six fingers on each hand. If they have enough people with what they want to fill those slots, they will. Just like college when they choose the student with more extra-curriculars and a lower GPA. If you think it's unfair that you are not given a spot based on something you feel is arbitrary or discriminatory, then that corps probably doesn't represent an ideal experience for you anyway. Those are the standards at that particular corps, whatever those standards may be.

If a Corps was going to do show with a West Side Story theme, should the guard only have White & Puerto Rican guard members?

Sky Ryders 87....hair of teh guard dyed or bleached depending on which gang they were a part of...but the actual ethnicities of the members had no impact.

If a Corps was going to do an Asian themed show, should the guard only have Asian members?

Ask 08 Cavies....Mandarins didn't start having non-Asians until sometime in the late 80s or early 90s...'course, they started as a corps for a Sac Asian community anyway.

If a Corps was going to do an Irish themed show, should the guard only have Irish members?

Pioneer anyone??

I don't really have an issue with someone being told that their weight would keep them from doing the planned drill....that's legitimate, but you never know, that big lad be march rings around the skinny model type. And there have been some "subsantial" people in all sections over the years...."Sweet Pea" from Spirit in the 80s comes to mind....BIIIIG guy -- you almost couldn't see his soprano compared to his bod....but he marched multiple years in a top 12 corps and was a soloist in at least 2 years I'm aware of.

Being cut because your body type is the SOLE reason I have problem with.

Being cut because you have an attitude that holds the entire corps back I have NO sympathy for.

I was just pointing out that fact that there were people at the audition who got callbacks yet couldn't do some of the required basics. I think its because the corps wanted to give them "another chance" to work on it and come back with it after being practiced....well why didn't I get another chance?

You also have to realize that spinning in only one facet of being in a world-class colorguard. I've seen guard members have to cover 40 yards in 8 counts, something extremely difficult to do without extra baggage. Having a physically fit auditionee who may have some minor correctable flaws is a more attractive candidate than one who is technically more proficient, but more limited physically. You may be a great concert tubist, but if you can't hold a contra or move at at least 180bpm, you aren't a good candidate for a corps. Physical fitness shows discipline, which is a huge attribute that top-tier corps look for, because you show you are willing to work to improve, and not expect it to happen. Who would you bet on in a footrace, an obese man who endlessly swore he could run faster than anybody, or Usain Bolt? Yes, there is a bias against the overweight in drum corps, but it is for a reason, not just because people are jerks. Personal accountability.

BTW I don't have a bad attitude. I'm not mad cuz I didn't make it, I just don't think I should have been cut at the time I did even if I wasn't good enough for the corps. :P so people, please don't think I had a bad attitude about everything :)

Edited by xXThRowTHeFlaGXx

I don't think so, I was offered a spot to march with one of those corps the year before last and I have a large body type

...fail

I'm offended by people who are offended................