Casa Bonita

Feed the squirrels on good old Mt. Estes. They were as fat as bulldogs. They could probably eat a bulldog. Cannibal Squirrels of Estes Park.

Also, no chain hotels or restaurants until sometime in the late 1970s. Then they got a Holiday Inn or something...before that it was Ike's Cabins and the Salt Water Taffy shop.

I saw the original Star Wars in Estes Park. Yes, touristy and very trappy.

Has anyone yet mentioned Eric Cartman's famous...

MOMMMMMM! I WANNA GO TO CASA BONITA!!!!

Americanos went there in 2005...my wife was the bus driver. cliff diver....whatever.

Correction tom that would have been 2004. 2005 Canos folded. Juggling monkey... Wonder if bobby still has the juggling pin that he stole from the monkey.

In 1976 the 27th Lancers were in Denver for Drums along the Rockies. We won that night and a few of the corps went to Casa Bonita. There were about 12 bus loads of kids, maybe more. We wondered if there would be a problem feeding everyone and if the close quarters of a restaurant would increase the friction between such fierce competitors. It turned out that the place is so huge and everyone was having such a blast that nobody cared about corps rivalry. The place was in full swing. The all you can eat thing was perfect for kids on tour who don't care what they eat as long as it cheap and available in large quantities. We even made some new friends! Those were the days!

Fun place to go to maybe once. The food is not worth a second visit...

• 14 years later...
16 hours ago, Jim Clark said:

Ah, memories! That place was a trip back in the 70s. Never saw anything like that in Rockford.

I am hoping I win the invitation lottery. I signed up on the first day it was available.

The hype is very much real in Denver for the reopening of the restaurant. However silly, we got excited for things like Ikea, In & Out, as well as Dunkin Donuts when they came to Denver.  All of those opened here for the first time in recent years, and lines to get in were extraordinary for the first months of their opening. 

But Casa Bonita....this is a different kind of hype. Perhaps because it is so nostalgiac, and many here consider it their own. So this is huge. 

Matt Stone and Trey Parker, South Park creators and new owners of the restaurant,  have been rather secret on what they added and improved. Which is adding to the mystique here of what to expect. 

On a Matt Stone/Trey Parker related note,  last year I got in on the lottery for South Parks 25th Anniversary Concert at Red Rocks, and got to go on the night Rush made a surprise visit. The show was epic. Hoping that luck carries over to this lottery, this year.

As for how all of this fits into drum corps this year- If any of you are coming out to DATR in mid July, Casa Bonita may be open for the general public to make a reservation. Perhaps a visit to Lakewood that Saturday, before heading up I-25 to Colorado St. would be a great day.   

Edited by Dmlkmen

8 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Ah, memories! That place was a trip back in the 70s. Never saw anything like that in Rockford.

This must be Old Old Thread Nostalgia Week on DCP. 

I remember this place too from the 70s. It was DCDD. Drum Corps Destination Dining. Back then you could totally pig out for $3 a plate. 

• Thanks 1