Enough Already: Stop Playing That Piece

Anything that has already been done that is considered a staple piece by another corps.

Examples: Cadet and WSS, Blue Devils "When a Man Loves a Woman," The Cavaliers "The Planets" (the ones they did).

Stuff like that, just leave it be if you are not that corps.

Add to this list SCV with Great Gate of Kiev, and Russian Christmas Music, Boston and Conquest, and then there's Phantom and anything done by Shostakovich that they've done in the past.

Okay, I looked it up, and 32 corps in the past have played Appalachian Spring, but does that really mean that it's done? Isn't there always room to change and redo the piece in a way it hasn't been done yet... (SCV '09 anyone :thumbup: )

Candide * Toccata and Fugue in D minor * Barber of Seville * Ninth Symphony (Ode to Joy) * Mid Summer Night’s Dream #9 * Suite Bergamasque (Claire De Lune) * One Hand One Heart (from West Side Story) * Somewhere (from West Side Story) * Hungarian Rhapsody * Festive Overture * 1812 Overture * Appalachian Spring * Hallelujah Chorus

Thank you Corpreps.com, for keeping this handy list all in one place for easy reference.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

here's my list - any show that has segments that go like this:

horns play loud for 10 seconds, then run around leaping over each other or doing various body moves while the percussion section rams, then the horns play again something else unrelated to the first bit. Repeat. Repeat some more. Throw in a ballad where the drum line is tacet and at the end bring the percussion in with some "groove" at pianissimo growing to mezzo-forte while the horns fade out. Horns run around some more - great drill, but no music other than percussion. Now we get the horns back in and we close out the show. Oh, and somewhere around this point is where the guard puts down all their equipment and tries to convey something emotional to the audience.

I'll take WSS, Russian Christmas Music, or whatever as long as it's done well. Heck, give me Children of Sanchez again. I'd take it. There's plenty of variety out there and I'm sure I'll have my own "hot dog" corps, but it won't be because of what they play but how they play it, spin it and throw it. (Dancing in drum corps bores me to tears along with all the current trend of drill gimmicks sans music.)

horns play loud for 10 seconds, then run around leaping over each other or doing various body moves while the percussion section rams, then the horns play again something else unrelated to the first bit. Repeat. Repeat some more. Throw in a ballad where the drum line is tacet and at the end bring the percussion in with some "groove" at pianissimo growing to mezzo-forte while the horns fade out. Horns run around some more - great drill, but no music other than percussion. Now we get the horns back in and we close out the show. Oh, and somewhere around this point is where the guard puts down all their equipment and tries to convey something emotional to the audience.

Subtle..... :thumbup:

Subtle..... :thumbup:

I'm tired of the gimmicks, and it's not just one corps. It's lots of them, even some of my tried and true faves. While this year Cavies happened to be leaping over each other, I'm sure it won't be the last time we see that. And we've had years and years of guards dropping equipment in order to do unison dance, pair dance, EMOTE EMOTE EMOTE, unison dance, collapse form into tight formation and throw hands in the air randomly, EMOTE! I'm just kinda tired of it. But there are those who like it. To each their own.

I'll take WSS, Russian Christmas Music, or whatever as long as it's done well. Heck, give me Children of Sanchez again. I'd take it. There's plenty of variety out there and I'm sure I'll have my own "hot dog" corps, but it won't be because of what they play but how they play it, spin it and throw it. (Dancing in drum corps bores me to tears along with all the current trend of drill gimmicks sans music.)

On the subject of hot dog corps, I'll take a hot dog when the pieces I bolded are performed by just about any corps. And I'm vegetarian.

If I were you, I wouldn't go to any DCI shows. Why would you pay to see something you clearly hate?

Candide * Toccata and Fugue in D minor * Barber of Seville * Ninth Symphony (Ode to Joy) * Mid Summer Night's Dream #9 * Suite Bergamasque (Claire De Lune) * One Hand One Heart (from West Side Story) * Somewhere (from West Side Story) * Hungarian Rhapsody * Festive Overture * 1812 Overture * Appalachian Spring * Hallelujah Chorus

Thank you Corpreps.com, for keeping this handy list all in one place for easy reference.

win. my crown to you

epic win, post of the year material

Yeah,,forget the Cavies,,keep watching the Cadets,,thats what you want anyways. :thumbup: