Phantom Regiment 2009...

I know, I know--what an original question, Dave. Right. You're right. But I was the first to predict that 'Spartacus' would be done a la 'Faust' with very little music of Spartacus in the production. So I started picturing how the production might look if they took the theme of the movie and played with it a bit in terms of repertoire?

I'm not familiar with the movie except for what I read on Amazon yesterday. Sounds like a really cool theme...could 'Amadeus' be far behind? Or 'Beethoven Lives Upstairs'? Or 'Immortal Beloved'? It isn't the first time the corps has done film music, but it looks to be the first time it is devoted entirely to one film.

Looks ravishingly interesting, whether JD has other music or the film's score in mind.

Is anyone familiar with the last track of the film CD? A piece by Corigliano, IIRC? Or do I have the wrong 'C'-name composer?

Feel free to discuss the film, give a synopsis, chat about what selections may have been overheard at camp, etc. I know how much giving away "secrets" drives the corps (plural) crazy these days. Danged Internet thingy!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The young guy i help sponsor is in PR,, and he ain't saying nothing,,, except that the tubas are heavier than the kings they used... lol

I think this is exactly what they're going to do. This has been their MO in recent years (2006, 2008) and I have a feeling the rights for Corigliano's music might be out of their league. He's a big-time sought-after* composer these days. They might be able to use one Corigliano piece and weave it amongst other things to portray the theme they want. As always, idle speculation.

* OMG double hyphenated adjectives?

I think this is exactly what they're going to do. This has been their MO in recent years (2006, 2008) and I have a feeling the rights for Corigliano's music might be out of their league. He's a big-time, sought-after* composer these days. They might be able to use one Corigliano piece and weave it amongst other things to portray the theme they want. As always, idle speculation.

You forgot the comma...gotcha covered! :thumbup:

The review on Amazon I read made the last track on the soundtrack, and at 12 minutes, the longest, sound like a very technical, impressive piece, instrumental (pardon the pun) to the story line. Might be a good one to use with JD's typical magical selections of unrelated works, eh?

Perhaps some Paganini?? Virtuosic. Violin. Voila! (needed a third 'V' word!) Don't remember Pag being performed in DCI before...anyone else?

I was thinking...their pairing of their "No Faust in 'Faust'" philosophy with 'Red Violin' would certainly be an interesting vehicle to pull off a REALLY great theme and variations show!

JD + lots of great T&V music to choose from = magic!

I sure hope I didn't just give anything away...I swear I didn't talk to anyone. Nobody in corps hall talks to me any more!

EDIT: And I was pretty critical of the choice of 'Spartacus' last year due to being performed previously. So I just thought an "attaboy" was in order for the selection of 'Red Violin.' Whether it is heavy with music from the movie or not, it certainly qualifies as new!

Unless they pair it with 'Symphony Fantastique!' :thumbup:

Edited by silvertrombone

Perhaps some Paganini?? Virtuosic. Violin. Voila! (needed a third 'V' word!) Don't remember Pag being performed in DCI before...anyone else?

Phantom '95... maybe?

Also Vanguard Cadets '09.

Somebody mentioned that Rachmaninoff would be used in the show. Not sure if that was red herring, violinbut it certainly seems feasible...

sorrry,, just had to do it...

I think this is exactly what they're going to do. This has been their MO in recent years (2006, 2008) and I have a feeling the rights for Corigliano's music might be out of their league. He's a big-time sought-after* composer these days. They might be able to use one Corigliano piece and weave it amongst other things to portray the theme they want. As always, idle speculation.

They did play a Corigliano piece in 2006... who knows. They're being pretty tight lipped over this.