Tour Gee Whiz Facts

Help the pit. Seriously. At some point you're going to need a huge favor from them. Everyone always does. And those that help the pit are the ones that get what they need.

QFT.

seriously.

the pit is like the mafia, we remember those who have "done favors", and so we "do favors" when the time arises.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Food truck setup. Even better.

seconded. We have a great sound system in the food trailer...

If you're in one of those corps that never allow buy stops for members (very uncool), it may be to your advantage to be nice to your bus driver. He/she may remember your kindness and agree to be your "snack mule" at Pilots, Flying J's, etc. from time to time. When it's three in the morning, sometimes a bag of Doritos and Arizona Tea look really good. Of course, if the entire bus gets wind of this idea, the corps director/tour director may become a tad suspicious if your driver is carrying out bagfuls of food and beverages every night. So don't tell anyone else on your bus about this idea or you may get busted and your little snack dealing may get closed down. Keep this top secret and your undercover snack operation could supply you with contraband all summer long.

Bond. James Bond

Gee Whiz tid bits – you’ll thank me later.

Ok, you’re going to think I'm crazy, but it has been said that the state bird of Minnesota is the Mosquito. If you're a midwestern corps, you're going to tour through the Land of the 10,000 Lakes. Unless you love that sticky feeling that bug spray leaves on your skin I have a tip for that REALLY WORKS to get rid of mosquitoes.

No More Mosquitoes - Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

Have you ever watched the DVD and think, oh my, those pants have static cling? Here is a sure fire way to reduce static cling.

Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and ... ta da! ... static is gone.

Ok, you can thank me later … see you on the road this summer.

Some things I learned, especially your rookie year:

* make friends with the drum major, no matter what. I was lucky and the two years I marched we had a great DM, so it was easy. But getting in good with the DM is invaluable.

* make friends with section leaders: ALL section leaders.

* learn who the 'cool' staff member is. There is usually a staff member who is only a year or two removed from aging out, and will be more sympathetic to you and will help you out/throw you a bone at times. For example, there was a certain staff member when I marched that had aged-out two years previously. She would frequently tell a few of us (her younger brother was in the snare line) where the ice machine was, make a soda run for us during dinner/show-prep if there was a convenience store close by, etc.

* there's almost always a convenience store nearby your housing place. Pay attention when you get off the freeway (if you're awake enough: I usually was) and it will pay off later. Also pay attention when pulling into the show sight for fast food, quick-e-marts, etc.

* ALWAYS get your corps members' backs. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it seemed like every year there is always someone who is an a-hole in your corps that tests that boundary. Never go against the family, or bad things happen.

* what happens on the bus stays on the bus...unless it makes for a classic story

Gee Whiz tid bits – you’ll thank me later.

Ok, you’re going to think I'm crazy, but it has been said that the state bird of Minnesota is the Mosquito. If you're a midwestern corps, you're going to tour through the Land of the 10,000 Lakes. Unless you love that sticky feeling that bug spray leaves on your skin I have a tip for that REALLY WORKS to get rid of mosquitoes.

No More Mosquitoes - Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

Have you ever watched the DVD and think, oh my, those pants have static cling? Here is a sure fire way to reduce static cling.

Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and ... ta da! ... static is gone.

Ok, you can thank me later … see you on the road this summer.

You can also just rub a coat hanger on anything that will have static cling. (like rub over it like a magic wand :) Also rubing that fabric softener sheet over staticables works well.

Take your own plastic plate, bowl, glass and utensils with you on tour.

Water alert.

Don't drink water in any state in the south. Ever!

I still do a great deal of traveling for work and have found through many bouts of stomach reactions the southern states that end in "A" (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Oklahoma and South Carolina) are just bad. The two that end in "S" (Arkansas and Texas) have horrible water but the absolute worst are the multiple "I" & "E" states: Mississippi & Tennessee!

Word to the wise - if you're going there, buy a national brand (not even a local) Bottled Water!

Nothing harder in the world than to march and play with stomach cramps ... or the runs!

Puppet

Water alert.

I still do a great deal of traveling for work and have found through many bouts of stomach reactions the southern states that end in "A" (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Oklahoma and South Carolina) are just bad. The two that end in "S" (Arkansas and Texas) have horrible water but the absolute worst are the multiple "I" & "E" states: Mississippi & Tennessee!

Word to the wise - if you're going there, buy a national brand (not even a local) Bottled Water!

Nothing harder in the world than to march and play with stomach cramps ... or the runs!

Puppet

The South has some bad water, but the worst by far was northern Indiana. Looked and tasted a bit like milk.

Water alert.

Puppet

ha. . .bad idea, drink more water when you're in the south. Hydration is the key to not dying. Man up and drink the water, if it's cloudy that just means it has more nutritional value, lol. . .or you could just get powdered junk to put in your jug so you don't notice it. I have seen some pretty bad water, but i've never had cramps or anything from it. I've had water in all the states you mentioned, except arkansas.