Man ! They got that one wrong !

Controversial Finals Winners  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these just didn't make sense to you?

• 1975 Skyliners
    • 1977 Sunrisers
    • 1981 Hurricanes
    • 1986 Bushwackers
    • 1987 Sunrisers (Rain Out)
    • 1988 TIE Bushwackers - Sunrisers
    • 1989 Bushwackers
    • 1990 Bushwackers
    • 1997 TIE Statesmen - Brigadiers
    • 2003 Hawthorne
    • 1996 Westshoremen

I like that.... the most hated DCA Champion ever!!! Although I doubt it would be the Westshoremen. Perhaps that will be my next poll. How do you think that will go over? Should I list specific years? (ie,. the 1996 Westshormen the 2001 Brigadiers, the 1993 Bushwackers, etc. etc.)

Blame Canada Baltimore!!! Back in 1975 the corps was trying to come back and we did the pre-show exhibition at Memorial Stadium for the Yankee-Rebels home show. The scoreboard was set to display a different message for each corps. Still remember our message was: "Welcome Back We Missed You" (or something like that). Maybe it should have read "Stay Away Don't #### Us Off". :angry::tongue:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that.... the most hated DCA Champion ever!!! Although I doubt it would be the Westshoremen. Perhaps that will be my next poll. How do you think that will go over? Should I list specific years? (ie,. the 1996 Westshormen the 2001 Brigadiers, the 1993 Bushwackers, etc. etc.)

Dave, You and I know who would be the most hated DCA Champion ever would be :tongue: as we were both part of that feat in 1990. After all these years I must admit I felt like TO that night "Hate me if you want but I love me some us :angry:

Edited by Fastone

Good point Frank. I was there too and that night was interesting.

I would think that alot of Cabs would be ###### about 1986. They and Steel were at the top of the heap and we were big underdogs. I know the Cabs were ###### that night as they refused to retreat and Jimmy held the back gate open for them as they single-filed off the field.

Don't ask me why I remember this stuff...

Good point Frank. I was there too and that night was interesting.

I would think that alot of Cabs would be ###### about 1986. They and Steel were at the top of the heap and we were big underdogs. I know the Cabs were ###### that night as they refused to retreat and Jimmy held the back gate open for them as they single-filed off the field.

Don't ask me why I remember this stuff...

1986 is lagging far behind, much to Dan's chagrin I'm sure.

Edited by Bushsop89

Dave, You and I know who would be the most hated DCA Champion ever would be :tongue: as we were both part of that feat in 1990. After all these years I must admit I felt like TO that night "Hate me if you want but I love me some us :angry:

Very well said!!! I think 1990 might be a runaway. Although... you never know. Perhaps time has healed the wounds or given perspective to some. Anytime a corps wins a few years in a row, others begin to resent that corps. The same holds true for sports and countries, etc.... I digress. Brigs of the late 90's early 00s might draw some fire. 2008 Reading perhaps. I think it would be an interesting poll. I would love to see some spirited debate about that.

Much to Dan's chagrin I'm sure, 1986 is lagging far behind. Perhaps a lot those Steel City guys have come to terms with that night. Then again... perhaps not.

I for one will never get over that night nor will i ever forgive whitey roberts for what he did!!!!!!

actually, despite the conspiracies, it was an alum that put us 3rd in brass ex. imagine the outrage if he had us closer.

and in our own weird way, we kinda like being the most hated DCA champion ever. Jerry Mace did and said many things that sucked, but the one he was right on the money was in a speech at Bridgeport in 1996

"you guys can win this thing and #### everyone off forever"

:tongue:

Yes,THAT was classic "Jerry"!! :angry:

:blink::worthy:

:angry:

Well I have not posted on here in a while so first let me say hi to Ponzo, Donnie, Jeff Ream, and anyone else who still thinks phantom vanguard is the best corps ever to march on the field.

And now for my vote..........(with no offense to anyone involved in the 1996 westshoremen)

1996 Cabs in my opinion wins this by a LONG run.......

that corps was one of the greatest things I have ever been a part of. The show itself and the performance that night was legendary !! I know im biased and not everyone will agree but just watch and listen to the shows........

:tongue:

That actually means a lot Fran thanks.......

I will save the names from this story for sake of embarrassment but here goes.

Every corps as we know thinks they are the best. And thats great. Theres been many times I thought the cabs should have won and for one reason or another we did not. The older guys always used to say to me "Welcome to DCA kid". And after the announcements were made I turned to one of my best friends to this day who I met in 1996 and said "I guess this is what they meant by welcome to the DCA...." We were both in tears as was most people that night.

Fast foward to 2006. The same guy I met in 1996 ended up marching next to me EVERY year after that until we both left in after the 06 season. In 2006 the corps was unbelievable. The horn line was probably one of if not THE best horn line I ever had the honor of playing in. The corps in the beginning of the season was tweaking the show like most corps do. The brass caption head called me and said "we are thinking of adding something to end of the show and was wondering what ya thought about it." Turns out they talked to Jim Prime (who wrote the opener in 1996) and with permission they took the tag at the end of the opener and it fit perfectly in the end of our show and generated the excitement and intensity they were looking for.

Knowing how much the 1996 show meant to the Caballero organization, the remaining members who marched in 96 were psyched to play it the first friday night we got it. the new members also knowing the history of 96 were just as excited. So we play thru it........And the flashbacks started happening. The Flashbacks were in fact overwhelming to myself and to my friend. And needless to say we were a bit misty eyed. And even tho we did not win that year. Even tho it was my last year with the corps. even tho we lost by a TENTH in 1996 One of the best memories I have from corps is knowing I got to end my drum corps career cryin like a baby with my friend next to me, playing that little tribute to the 1996 corps one more time. Musicaly it was the greatest way to end my marching career......

I couldn't agree more with my friends and fellow Caballero Alumnus.

Glenn and I are watching our "through the years" shows. And if anyone reading this truly knows me, they know that I want to stand up and break and beat things when I watch 1996, 2004, 2006, 2003, 1976, 1984, etc.

Many years have passed now, and I was wearing different colors back then, but 1996 finals was were DCA got it incredibly WRONG. Nevermind the colors I'm associated with now or the fact I WILL die a Caballero. It was wrong.

Adam, I remember seeing Cabs at Clifton and thinking they are the ####! I remember watching Cabs in prelims and thinking they have a lock, no one will ever catch them. I remember vividly finals night and lining up behind the bleachers for retreat and hearing the Cabs' opening statement and strains of our beloved "Bully" and thinking, NO ONE IS BEATING THEM! I remember Cabs' horn block set up on retreat to my left at Frontier Field (*#@**&@). I remember looking to my left when the scores were announced. I remember everyone I saw in white satin and black kickpleats hunched over and sobbing. I remember I thought you were robbed.

My opinions are mine and mine alone, no matter who I am currently affiliated with, but the 1996 Hawthorne Caballeros WON that DCA. Argue with me privately. I will never waver or back down.

CABALLERO PRIDE

it's us. look, Empire and Cabs were both great in 96. Empire had the hometown pull, and Cabs had a show for the ages. while we may have had some big spreads in mid season, both closed the gap as August wore on. Having seen many a DCA title show, honestly, to this day, I'd say 96 Westshore winning is more hated than the 03 decision. if it had been in the poll earlier, it'd be a runaway.

and that's ok, cause i'll enjoy the results of the show and the poll