What bugs you - senior edition

If I have ever heard a better example of the pot calling the kettle black, I can't remember it. This is coming from the guy that used to stack notes on a flugelhorn duet?

C'mon! You love the Malloy! YOU NEED THE MALLOY!! YOU ARE THE MALLOY!!!

Guilty as charged... I have played some malloys. And, I've even been a part of some valloys.... unfortunately.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what bugs me, the malloy. I'll give you the definition

Malloy n. Named for trumpeter extraordinaire John Malloy; it is a gratuitous and/or superfluous high note (usually played on a trumpet or soprano) for the sole purpose of eliciting and extra 0.01 of a point in General Effect. An example would be a double G (or higher) placed atop a big symphonic chord in a Dvorak or Holst piece. You know it doesn't fit, but hey, it's drum corps.

Just like in baseball, chicks dig the long ball. The high note is the "long ball" of drum corps I guess. And don't get me wrong, I love a well placed high note just as much as the next guy. But sometimes it just doesn't belong.

And along those same lines, what also bugs me is the valloy; essentially a visual "malloy." Popularized by Bobby Jones and/or Eric Robertshaw, this is a gratuitous and/or superfluous body movement used, usually to distract the audience... to draw their attention to a specific part of the field. Or, to make a corps proper look like there is movement, when in fact there is none.

The malloy and the valloy.

Dave,

That's awesome!

I see a t-shirt coming out this summer.....

May we have your permission to quote you?

Jerry

Dave,

That's awesome!

I see a t-shirt coming out this summer.....

May we have your permission to quote you?

Jerry

Of course !!! The "malloy" has been a part of the drum corps vernacular since 2000. It's never really caught on like I'd hoped. Perhaps this is the year. I'm sure John will be proud.

Edited by Bushsop89

Of course !!! The "malloy" has been a part of the drum corps vernacular since 2000. It's never really caught on like I'd hoped. Perhaps this is the year. I'm sure John will be proud.

Perfect....thank you!!

OK, it bugs me that only certain people catch crap about joining other corps and some people get a free pass to visit and rejoin whenever they want. :lol::lol:

To everyone else this is an inside joke.... Jeffs dad joined Yankee-Rebels when Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots broke up in 1972 then rejoined Westshore around 1977/78. It was funny hearing older WSM members b-word about ex-members marching at Reading. Then when Jeffs dad would walk in, it was like "Hey... how're you doing buddy". :lol:

Kinda like south of the Mason-Dixon line was neutral territory but east of Harrisburg was No Mans Land. :lol:

Remember a lot of those old timers NEVER beat Reading, and at times, it seemed like people got a start at Westshore then went east, even staff.

My dad only ever beat Reading once in a Westshoremen uniform, in 1978 and he joined in 1962.

freaking A, relax, i guess i miss understood your post....omg....let me know when youve stopped bleeding. geez, so i guess youre free of human error!

i didnt bark or lecture at all, i just clarified. relax dude, it's just DCP

Here is something that bugs me.

Soloists that don't know how to dance.

Oh wait....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree about the soloists who do not drill. Also, I don't really believe it's entirely appropriate for professional musicians to be used as soloists in drum corps. (I know that's another whole argument, but I just had to inject it.) I think they should at least do some type of drill and should also be in uniform. You want to march with the corps? Then actually march, not just play, and look like you belong by wearing the uniform.

Another thing that has bugged me for a long time: Corps that march onto the field in such a rigid, military fashion, then once they're on the field, they're walking around, talking, laughing, high-fiving each other, etc. I wish they would maintain the military bearing throughout, from the time they enter to the time they leave.

And my final 'rant' that has bugged me for years, is all the staff members, besides the ones who actually are conducting a warm-up. They roam around on the field during warm-ups, often in civilian clothes, shorts, cut-offs, etc. They just want to be seen. Either they should be banned from the field, or be required to wear some sort of 'uniform' staff attire, say staff polos and same color slacks, or something similar. A few corps do this, some only for finals. My preference: Keep all the staff off the field. They don't need to be there. That's what drum majors are for.

These opinions are strictly my own, and yeah, as you can see I'm old-fashioned!

i agree with everything you've said. the casual way most corps take the field grates on me too. drum corps prides itself on regimentation , precision , dicipline etc. but has allowed the simple act of taking the field for competition to slip into amateurism .

i'd like to see the corps of the dca follow the example set by the champions....they march to their starting positions, dress and go....no warmup , and the hugs , high fives , stretching , as well as rah rah from the staff is done is done in private ! very dignified !