What bugs you - senior edition

I DO think that a lot of that, what may be perceived as a double standard has EVERYTHING to do with HOW a person leaves a corps, and WHEN.

As was stated earlier in the thread by someone else, and more eloquently.

I Stomp Them :lol: ($1 to my best dumpster smokin' buddy).

"See Yinz in September" .........everybody sing..........c'mon now....sing-a-long... :lol:

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked, 6 tenths was the spread from 1st place in Brass to 2nd in 2006.

In the past few years, Brass has been a closely contended title. I know I'm really biased, but 2006 wasn't one of them.

Here is something that bugs me.

Soloists that don't know how to dance.

Oh wait....

You know what bugs me, the malloy. I'll give you the definition

Malloy n. Named for trumpeter extraordinaire John Malloy; it is a gratuitous and/or superfluous high note (usually played on a trumpet or soprano) for the sole purpose of eliciting an extra 0.01 of a point in General Effect. An example would be a double G (or higher) placed atop a big symphonic chord in a Dvorak or Holst piece. You know it doesn't fit, but hey, it's drum corps.

Just like in baseball, chicks dig the long ball. The high note is the "long ball" of drum corps I guess. And don't get me wrong, I love a well placed high note just as much as the next guy. But sometimes it just doesn't belong.

And along those same lines, what also bugs me is the valloy; essentially a visual "malloy." Popularized by Bobby Jones and/or Eric Robertshaw, this is a gratuitous and/or superfluous body movement used, usually to distract the audience... to draw their attention to a specific part of the field. Or, to make a corps proper look like there is movement, when in fact there is none.

The malloy and the valloy.

Edited by Bushsop89

Malloy n. Named for trumpeter extraordinaire John Malloy; it is a gratuitous and/or superfluous high note (usually played on a trumpet or soprano) for the sole purpose of eliciting and extra 0.01 of a point in General Effect. An example would be a double G (or higher) placed atop a big symphonic chord in a Dvorak or Holst piece. You know it doesn't fit, but hey, it's drum corps.

Just like in baseball, chicks dig the long ball. The high note is the "long ball" of drum corps I guess. And don't get me wrong, I love a well placed high note just as much as the next guy. But sometimes it just doesn't belong.

And along those same lines, what also bugs me is the valloy; essentially a visual "malloy." Popularized by Bobby Jones and/or Eric Robertshaw, this is a gratuitous and/or superfluous body movement used, usually to distract the audience... to draw their attention to a specific part of the field. Or, to make a corps proper look like there is movement, when in fact there is none.

I have 800 mg Ibuprofin..........shouldn't have tried to get into this post........will take one with a Labbatt's. Maybe it's just me.............Way, way to deep........I'm just a horn player........ :lol:

Edited by melligene

All soloists should do a high mark time at double the meter of the tune being played. For "weight challenged" soloists, this is called the famous "belly jiggle jello" move!! :lol:

Oh wait....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that was good Kyle!

If I have ever heard a better example of the pot calling the kettle black, I can't remember it. This is coming from the guy that used to stack notes on a flugelhorn duet?

C'mon! You love the Malloy! YOU NEED THE MALLOY!! YOU ARE THE MALLOY!!!

Malloy n. Named for trumpeter extraordinaire John Malloy; it is a gratuitous and/or superfluous high note (usually played on a trumpet or soprano) for the sole purpose of eliciting and extra 0.01 of a point in General Effect. An example would be a double G (or higher) placed atop a big symphonic chord in a Dvorak or Holst piece. You know it doesn't fit, but hey, it's drum corps.

Okay, now - I agree with ALOT of the gripes in this thread, but for most of them, I'm thinkin' "Eh, it ain't life or death, right?"

This one, though - I HAVE to give you a shout out for it. I HATE that :lol: !

If I have ever heard a better example of the pot calling the kettle black, I can't remember it. This is coming from the guy that used to stack notes on a flugelhorn duet?

C'mon! You love the Malloy! YOU NEED THE MALLOY!! YOU ARE THE MALLOY!!!

does this mean that Sandy and I were the "valloy' perpetrators,back in the 80s and 90s? :lol: