What bugs you - senior edition

Again ~ an outdated way of thinking. One that hurts the corps in the long run. You (the general you) want to hate someone for leaving, instead take a moment and think about what good it will do to have an unhappy member marching with you. That member who really would rather be somewhere else isn't going to give 100%. A member who stays out of fear of being hated won't be the one out there hyping when it's pouring rain and you still have 2 hour left of practice, they'll be giving just what they have to to get by.

Joining a drum corps isn't and should never be considered indentured servitude. It's not the mafia and once you join you can never leave. If someone thinks the grass is greener on the other side, let them go. Maybe they'll discover what they had was what they really wanted all along. Treat someone like they are the scum of the earth for leaving, be sure they are aware they are so hated for leaving, and you can be sure they'll never come back.

"Your drum corps is your family" is something said time and time again. Too many people forget that and develop a "what have you done for me lately" perspective instead. Families aren't perfect and either are the people in them. Same goes for drum corps. Turn your back on someone and it is something they'll never forget. Let them know you wish things could have been different but they are always welcome in the future and leave that door open instead.

:lol::lol:

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what really grinds my gears....people who cut rank, and then when i wanna chase after them and give 'em a talkin' to, i can't because it looks bad upon the corps or no one wants to join in on the beating.

Why does that matter at all? As others have said...there are often reasons why it happens...including people who just don't know the etiquette, and even if they do it "just because"...it's on them for being foolish...until you or someone in the corps reponds...at which time the "second one in" bears the brunt of the blame.

Again ~ an outdated way of thinking. One that hurts the corps in the long run. You (the general you) want to hate someone for leaving, instead take a moment and think about what good it will do to have an unhappy member marching with you. That member who really would rather be somewhere else isn't going to give 100%. A member who stays out of fear of being hated won't be the one out there hyping when it's pouring rain and you still have 2 hour left of practice, they'll be giving just what they have to to get by.

Joining a drum corps isn't and should never be considered indentured servitude. It's not the mafia and once you join you can never leave. If someone thinks the grass is greener on the other side, let them go. Maybe they'll discover what they had was what they really wanted all along. Treat someone like they are the scum of the earth for leaving, be sure they are aware they are so hated for leaving, and you can be sure they'll never come back.

"Your drum corps is your family" is something said time and time again. Too many people forget that and develop a "what have you done for me lately" perspective instead. Families aren't perfect and either are the people in them. Same goes for drum corps. Turn your back on someone and it is something they'll never forget. Let them know you wish things could have been different but they are always welcome in the future and leave that door open instead.

I totally agree with you,Liz. Friends of mine,who were in corps,had to leave because of life changes(jobs,kids,divorce,get the picture?). Some ARE always welcomed back to help out anyway they can. Some were given the cold shoulder when they stopped by to watch performances,rehersals(sp?)etc.

I am still close to some that I began jr. corps with back in 1971!!!!!

Kate

OK, gotta chime in with the rivalary and joining other corps topic as seen it hurt.....

In Spring 1984 Westshoremen disbanded and some members joined the Bucs. If you weren't close to the corps then you didn't realize the corps disbanded as it was only a few weeks in Spring until a new crew took over. During the time the corps did not exist, a few members asked Reading about joining the following year and we actually plugged into the show for 1984. When "new" Westshore came out in early Summer the now Bucs were asked about returning. Problem was these folks gave their word to Reading that they would finish the season so they had to say "See you next year". Well they got called traitor, scab, etc, etc by certain members of the corps and they never did come back. Westshore could have used those people in the mid-80s.

Sad part was the same thing happened in 1974 when the corps reformed so some people never learn.

Hell, I've had one or two Westshore Alumni members seriously ask me how I can do parades for Hanover... excuse me, how I can do parades for "them". Thirty plus years later and both competing corps are gone but people still have hard-tailed feelings. :lol: Note: these hard tails are not on DCP far as I know.

Jim, saw that after 97 too...but it seemed to be older folks. hell my dad was ok with me teaching Bucs.

as long as i didnt wear skull and crossbones in his house :lol:

Let's be honest, though...sometimes people jump corps in such a way that they deserve all the enmity they get.

It's one thing to complete your obligations to a corps then decide in the winter to go somewhere else. It's a whole other when you leave in spring/summer, thumbing your nose and lighting the bridge on fire behind you as you go.

i dont remember random draw going away til the late 80's

Could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure it was still around in 1992... at least a random draw for the ten member corps. I seem to remember Bushwackers going on early in the "members bloc" that day, and their closest competitor, Empire Statesmen, going on near the end of that bloc.

I've wondered if the fact that Bush was on so early helped keep their score lower than it probably should have been, considering the monster performance they did that day at prelims.

Fran

Could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure it was still around in 1992... at least a random draw for the ten member corps. I seem to remember Bushwackers going on early in the "members bloc" that day, and their closest competitor, Empire Statesmen, going on near the end of that bloc.

I've wondered if the fact that Bush was on so early helped keep their score lower than it probably should have been, considering the monster performance they did that day at prelims.

Fran

you may be right...random draw for non members, then random draw for members. i think 93 may have been that way too, and of course the MBI rule

Is there really no thread on here about the passing of Doc?

Dr. Almo Sebastianelli

Rest in peace

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

:lol:

Jim, saw that after 97 too...but it seemed to be older folks. hell my dad was ok with me teaching Bucs.

as long as i didnt wear skull and crossbones in his house :lol:

OK, it bugs me that only certain people catch crap about joining other corps and some people get a free pass to visit and rejoin whenever they want. :lol::lol:

To everyone else this is an inside joke.... Jeffs dad joined Yankee-Rebels when Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots broke up in 1972 then rejoined Westshore around 1977/78. It was funny hearing older WSM members b-word about ex-members marching at Reading. Then when Jeffs dad would walk in, it was like "Hey... how're you doing buddy". :lol:

Kinda like south of the Mason-Dixon line was neutral territory but east of Harrisburg was No Mans Land. :lol: