End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

No performance fees is always the WTF for me....Come from the days of the amount of money a corps got depended on placement (1st place got $$$$$, 2nd got $$$$, etc). Idea of a corps not getting fair reimbursement for providing a service (IOW performing) to a show sounds like a ripoff for me. Our first two years we were the equivilant of OC because we were rebuilding but those last place checks were a big reasons we survived.

To borrow a phrase I 've seen directed towards corps that have goen under" If a show can't pay all the corps that perform, then it must be mismanagement.

Open Class corps directors accepted this deal. I wouldn't have, but they did. I'm just trying to give them more of an opportunity for performance fees. Cut the judges...whatever their cost, I believe currently the money could be spent better elsewhere for Open Class.

Look at World Class last season and again this year...they are cutting back on the judges early in the season. Follow this lead.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open Class corps directors accepted this deal. I wouldn't have, but they did. I'm just trying to give them more of an opportunity for performance fees. Cut the judges...whatever their cost, I believe currently the money could be spent better elsewhere for Open Class.

Look at World Class last season and again this year...they are cutting back on the judges early in the season. Follow this lead.

what gets me is that open class directors continue to allow themselves to not get paid.

what gets me is that open class directors continue to allow themselves to not get paid.

I equate this to a game of Texas Holdem...You have a small pair and so you call. The guy with the big stack at the table (DCI) raises over the top. Now...he might be bluffing...he might not be...so you chance it and call. The flop misses you so you check..he opens with a pot match.

The wise player at this point recognizes, you have a lot to lose and little to gain so you fold. If you had a better hand...perhaps you go toe to toe with him.

Now...for those confused by this analogy...

You are Open Class corps directors.

The other guys is DCI.

And your small pair are the amount of people showing up to your shows currently...your potential income versus the expenses of putting together the OC schedule of performances.

His big stack is the DCI moneys already in the bank.

I hope this makes sense....yes?

it does, but it's stupid business.

it does, but it's stupid business.

then I guess the only other choice is don't sit down at the table then isn't it?

Clearly, Open Class corps do not have another entity looking out for their interest. So, the dotted cube is cast.

The only remaining question is when.

And for those of you who marked that Open Class is thriving...please pass the bong.

If an Open Class Corps appears at a DCI sanctioned World Class show, they receive anywhere between $800 and $1200 based on the prior years finish at Championships.

If an Open Class Corps appears at an Open Class only show, then no performance fees are paid.

The sad thing is, the World Class Corps earn more in performance fees in their first week of tour then the Open Class Corps earn all summer.

Also, DCI only allows Open Class Corps to appear at a few shows. If you look at the Open Class Corps schedule, most of the Open Class Corps only have 9-12 shows all summer. I would think that DCI would put more Open Class Corps in more World Class Shows. The Open Class groups needs to appear at these shows in order to recruit for the organizations. Also, it would only help the World Class Corps as the more members that paricipate in Open Class Corps, the better trained they are if they choose to move on to a World Class Corps.