End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

If an Open Class Corps appears at a DCI sanctioned World Class show, they receive anywhere between $800 and $1200 based on the prior years finish at Championships.

If an Open Class Corps appears at an Open Class only show, then no performance fees are paid.

The sad thing is, the World Class Corps earn more in performance fees in their first week of tour then the Open Class Corps earn all summer.

Also, DCI only allows Open Class Corps to appear at a few shows. If you look at the Open Class Corps schedule, most of the Open Class Corps only have 9-12 shows all summer. I would think that DCI would put more Open Class Corps in more World Class Shows. The Open Class groups needs to appear at these shows in order to recruit for the organizations. Also, it would only help the World Class Corps as the more members that paricipate in Open Class Corps, the better trained they are if they choose to move on to a World Class Corps.

If I were an Open Class Director, I'd incorporate some SDCA shows in my schedule get some Ticket Money and possibly Parade Money. Might also boost Corps Morale playing for a packed house. This might work if the Corps is in the neighborhood of a SDCA show and for Corps in or near Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Edited by Kansan

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were an Open Class Director, I'd incorporate some SDCA shows in my schedule get some Ticket Money and possibly Parade Money. Might also boost Corps Morale playing for a packed house. This might work if the Corps is in the neighborhood of a SDCA show and for Corps in or near Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Yeah..how many shows can a corps do nowadays...the season looks pretty short. It looks like they spend more time practicing on the road than performing on the road.

Yeah..how many shows can a corps do nowadays...the season looks pretty short. It looks like they spend more time practicing on the road than performing on the road.

The season does look short compaired to years past.

If an Open Class Corps appears at a DCI sanctioned World Class show, they receive anywhere between $800 and $1200 based on the prior years finish at Championships.

If an Open Class Corps appears at an Open Class only show, then no performance fees are paid.

The sad thing is, the World Class Corps earn more in performance fees in their first week of tour then the Open Class Corps earn all summer.

Also, DCI only allows Open Class Corps to appear at a few shows. If you look at the Open Class Corps schedule, most of the Open Class Corps only have 9-12 shows all summer. I would think that DCI would put more Open Class Corps in more World Class Shows. The Open Class groups needs to appear at these shows in order to recruit for the organizations. Also, it would only help the World Class Corps as the more members that paricipate in Open Class Corps, the better trained they are if they choose to move on to a World Class Corps.

exactly. i've thought all along it was stupid business. why not just go D1 limited tour? boom your corps makes more money

Pretty sure you have to get approved for World Class. As much as many on here do not want to hear it, I think DCI needs to keep WC exclusive to keep the brand (relatively) strong. While some corps have been sort of 'grandfathered' into World Class, it would significantly weaken the image of DCI as "marching music's major league" if your top competitive division is filled with corps that many marching bands can outperform. I know the band I teach is better than the lower tiered Open Class groups (no disrespect intended); if you throw everyone into World Class, those kids are going to go to shows and say "This is drum corps? We're already better than that".

Additionally, I'm sure the kids in OC, Teal and Citations would rather be gunning for a ring than gunning for Pioneer.

The class structure is a necessary evil, just as it is in society. Lumping together all the corps in DCI just so they can all get more money (which is coming from......???) makes about as much sense as the government giving everyone in the country a million dollars instead of bailing out failing corporations. It sure sounds like an easy everybody-wins fix, but in reality it would only complicate things on many levels.

The class structure is a necessary evil, just as it is in society. Lumping together all the corps in DCI just so they can all get more money (which is coming from......???) makes about as much sense as the government giving everyone in the country a million dollars instead of bailing out failing corporations. It sure sounds like an easy everybody-wins fix, but in reality it would only complicate things on many levels.

Personally I wasn't thinking of having the classes grouped together. I was thinking of having (allowing?) one or two OC corps perform at a WC show and getting paid for performing. Don't care if the OC corps is competing or in exhibition just as long as they get the exposure and performance money. Question: Are there exhibition corps at DCI shows anymore? <snipped comment on WC fans previous posts on OC being "worthy enough">

As background: Few years ago I saw Jersey Surf and Lehigh Valley Knights in exhibition at a DCA show in Reading. Later one of the persons connected with a corps said it was probably the best crowd reactions they had seen that year. And I thought that was pretty friggin' sad that the All Age crowd supported the Jr corps better than DCI crowds.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Pretty sure you have to get approved for World Class. As much as many on here do not want to hear it, I think DCI needs to keep WC exclusive to keep the brand (relatively) strong. While some corps have been sort of 'grandfathered' into World Class, it would significantly weaken the image of DCI as "marching music's major league" if your top competitive division is filled with corps that many marching bands can outperform. I know the band I teach is better than the lower tiered Open Class groups (no disrespect intended); if you throw everyone into World Class, those kids are going to go to shows and say "This is drum corps? We're already better than that".

Additionally, I'm sure the kids in OC, Teal and Citations would rather be gunning for a ring than gunning for Pioneer.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I think most of us would understand that there is no easy fix. You can't just throw 20 more corps into the pool and pay them all (even at the discounted rates of an open-class unit) unless there is more money generated as a result of them being there. But....

2. That's where the segregation principle becomes misleading. Separate the top and bottom halves of any "major league", and 90%-plus of the spectators will rather watch the top half. Under those circumstances, the bottom half would be relegated to smaller venues/markets, and forced to resort to far less pay and/or a volunteerism component just to balance the books. Some people think that if you segregate the bottom half in this manner, and they don't generate a profit, that they are not worth paying.

Truth is, a divided league doesn't draw as well. Part of the interest in the "top corps" is owed to the great number of other corps they outrank in the first place. To grasp this concept, imagine the 2008 season with corps 1-10 in the "major league" and 11-20 segregated in another class. The 11-20 class will draw like open-class does now. Meanwhile, the ten-corps major league would lose a few fans, would no longer be able to sustain interest in three rounds of championship-week competition, and would be hard-pressed to fill lineups in more than half the number of events they have now....thus, they would see a 30%-50% drop in revenue.

Integration works. Just ask the West coast, the only area of growth in modern-day junior corps.

Can I just add one thing about your debate regarding OC corps being paid to do shows, please consider this?

The base cost of the show contract is the same regardless of WC or OC corps. Since most of the show sponsors are OC corps we saved ourselves the trouble and stress of just transferring money back and forth. What good is it for the Raiders to pay the Citations $1000 to come to NJ this Saturday and then have the Citations pay the Raiders $1000 next Saturday in MA? If we had a true reciprical system, we are helping our cash flow and increase the chances of a greater profit.

ok Tom a question then:

do you make enough off of your show to justify the costs of doing even the Open Class tour? granted WC may throw you a bone or two for shows with them, but if you run one show for yourselves, yet have to go out most weekends and get nothing plus a two week tour...is that profitable?

Can I just add one thing about your debate regarding OC corps being paid to do shows, please consider this?

The base cost of the show contract is the same regardless of WC or OC corps. Since most of the show sponsors are OC corps we saved ourselves the trouble and stress of just transferring money back and forth. What good is it for the Raiders to pay the Citations $1000 to come to NJ this Saturday and then have the Citations pay the Raiders $1000 next Saturday in MA? If we had a true reciprical system, we are helping our cash flow and increase the chances of a greater profit.

That part I've seen first hand as Westshoremen had that agreement with Crossmen and Buccs during the standstill concert season years ago and understand the reasoning. It's not being paid for contests outside of the "you do mine for free and I'll do yours for free" that I don't see any sense.

What I'm reading is OC corps don't get paid at WC shows and either I misread or WTF????