• Start a DCA corps
    • Contribute to one corps; establish an endowment
    • Help several corps but focus big on one or two favorites
    • Help several corps of your choice equally
    • Smaller amounts to coprs I have other charities in mind
    • Give mostly to DCI or DCA parent organization
    • Give more to WGI guards and/or drum lines
    • Other

If I won, CorpsVets and Alliance would suddenly find themselves flush with cash. I'd also help out the 7 independent guards and and 3 independent percussion lines going to WGI.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I won the lottery I'd be able to afford a good seat for Finals. YEEESH

I think if I gave the large amount in mind to a favorite corps that excellent finals seats in their block would definatly be part of the deal. :lookaround:

Edited by shawn craig

Let's see..............

After doing all the smart stuff like providing for myself and family, getting a house, establishing saving, etc......where I'd be all set and would have, say.......$5 million left over?

OK.......Here's how I'd break down the $5 million I'd have left after ensuring that myself and the next couple of generations of my family would be set:

BD and SCV would get $500,000 each.

Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Troopers, and VANGUARD CADETS would get $100,000 each.

San Francisco Renegades would get $2 million dollars.

The remaining million and a half I'd distribute in a more selective fashion to any and all DCI/DCA corps regardless of class that had, say.....talent and numbers, if only they had horns or drums that weren't falling apart, etc...where a helping hand in the right place at the right time would put them in the right direction.

Helping existing corps stay on track and helping the corps where I've already marched would be WAY more important to me than starting my own corps or anything like that.

I think if I gave the large amount in mind to a favorite corps that excellent finals seats in their block would definatly be part of the deal. :lookaround:

Good point...either way...I'll be the one performing this year...but next year is another story. Is the lottery accepting resumes?

Depends on how much it is.

I would help out the corps that I marched... I would also help out local high school programs though. The more money I won, the more I could give, obviously. But the first few million would all go to me. Don't hate too much, I don't have a long term job yet. =P

This IS a fun dream to have..........

Personally, I'd like to start a foundation of sorts with the intent to help bring down the cost of marching for the members. For example, let's just say that $1 million was available yearly to this cause. That means 2000 kids could get a $500 cut off their marching fees regardless of what corps they participate in.

I'm sure there are a lot of kids out there who want to march but aren't able to come up with the necessary funds to do it. I don't anticipate the costs going down in the future, either.

This would be me, too. I would offer full tuition to any returning Blue Stars vets. There are a few right now that I know that would be marching this year if I had the money to pay for them.

This problem is really becoming one of the main reasons why there are fewer and fewer corps and members in DCI. It is so hard for a large percentage of 14-22 year olds to come up with the $$$ necessary to march DCI, without bankrupting their future. It's scary to me how many of the current members are actually taking out student loans just to march corps.

Depends on how much it is.

I would help out the corps that I marched... I would also help out local high school programs though. The more money I won, the more I could give, obviously. But the first few million would all go to me. Don't hate too much, I don't have a long term job yet. =P

Of course the exact amount makes a difference. I would hope any one would first take care of themselves (and family); establish a portfolio, buy a house or fix up the one you have etc.

Besides giving money, not working a full time job would also give more time to volunteer. I love to cook so I would want to work in the food trailer for a couple weeks. Of course cooking for 200 four times a day in a travel kitchen isn't the same as making a fancy dinner in a gourmet kitchen, but I'd still want to do that.

Forget supporting the PBS broadcast. It's the wrong technology and probably the wrong audience. The opportunity is online. Plough the money into online marketing. That's where the future is. Or increase the outreach to schools and universities - again not a PBS play.

Speaking of the past, can't help but notice that eight, maybe more, of the posters in the first three pages of this thread would designate DCA, not DCI, for their funds. This being a DCI, not a DCA, forum, what does that say about who's posting here?

HH