• Start a DCA corps
    • Contribute to one corps; establish an endowment
    • Help several corps but focus big on one or two favorites
    • Help several corps of your choice equally
    • Smaller amounts to coprs I have other charities in mind
    • Give mostly to DCI or DCA parent organization
    • Give more to WGI guards and/or drum lines
    • Other

p.s. it seems as if none of us will be donating this kind of cash from lottery winnings anytime soon and shawn craig won't have to worry with everyone suddenly becoming his friend. there weren't any Powerball winners from last night's game.

Considering what my social is, it would be interesting to see how many "best friends" and "long lost relatives" I suddenly would have if such a thing ever happened. :blink::lookaround::blink:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although most of my funds would likely to go towards recording gear and services. As it really sucks to do all this work and have someone else determine that you weren't worth recording at seasons end. Too many times in RECENT history has a championship field has gone UNLINED or parts of the CHAMPIONSHIP event has gone UNRECORDED. It's simply unacceptable these days when your cell phone can record both video and audio. And perceptually it's as if holding up a cell phone for someone to make a recording of your corps was TOO MUCH to ask of a governing body.

Oh sweet Jesus....where's that beating-the-dead-horse icon when you need it.

DCA was not plotting against you....get the $#^% over it already!

En Garde would be in a better position, that's for sure.

I'd probably help some struggling corps as well.

And let me point out that Bill Cook DID do exactly what this poll implies....and look at the crap he AND Star got for it.

Not saying a lot of us wouldn't do it....most of us have said we'd involve the money in corps somehow....but I'd basically tell any detractors to go stuff it.

You've got the right idea/spirit...go stuff it!! Just one corps??? That's thinking too small. I'd start about 8 and go do my own tour...shows...regionals...championships...even outside performance stuff. Why think small...if we're talking powerball, lets think BIG, shall we?

Hmm...that actually sounds pretty good...

Technically the distinction between DCI and DCA is not that grand anymore. Many corps operate with the same age demographic regardless of circuit. DCA just has a lighter schedule and generally benefits greater from donations on a dollar to dollar basis. MOST of my local shows are actually combined DCA and DCI corps shows of some sort.

For me, I don't know if I'd bail out a corps with questionable financial practices. Because even if I did, the practices would likely continue and ten years down the road and it's like I didn't do jack. When I first conceived of winning the lottery and using it towards drumcorps, I thought, cancel all corps debt, buy everyone new G's, and bring your favorites back to life. But in terms of a long term benefit to corps in general, I don't think that that would do much.

So in practice, most likely, the first 12 million would be mine, the next 5 million (net) would go to my brothers and parents. And the rest put towards more long term goals. If I were to bail a corps out financially, it would probably be more of a buy their bad debt, and given them a repayment option that they can actually manage. If they still can't manage, then sell their bad debt and let nature run it's course. It's not drumcorps if someone has to hold your hand for years at a time.

Although most of my funds would likely to go towards recording gear and services. As it really sucks to do all this work and have someone else determine that you weren't worth recording at seasons end. Too many times in RECENT history has a championship field has gone UNLINED or parts of the CHAMPIONSHIP event has gone UNRECORDED. It's simply unacceptable these days when your cell phone can record both video and audio. And perceptually it's as if holding up a cell phone for someone to make a recording of your corps was TOO MUCH to ask of a governing body.

dont forget pictures.

:lookaround:

And let me point out that Bill Cook DID do exactly what this poll implies....and look at the crap he AND Star got for it.

You drum corps people are funny the way you look at the world through your drum corps eyes, so willing to be duped and praise the devil as a saint

Let’s look at Star through the eyes of a successful businessman and see what is really was

‘Hello, my names Bill Cook you got to love me because I love drum corps plus I’m richer and smarter than you……I think I’ll start a drum corps….hmmm, non-profit, that’s hardly American, where is the money in that?…..I know I’ll start a bus company and develop it by hiding it behind a non-profit and riding that tax status to a very successful bus company that continues way beyond the shelf life of that drum corps tax shelter …then I’ll turn that drum corps into a Tony winning entertainment venture and send out a few international tours that fatten my bank account ….I’ll use that same non-profit status and even charge the kids for their development of my on drum corps greatest hits stage show…..I’ll rip off all the time tested, audience approved best bits from drum corps, intellectual properties be #### and squeeze all the non-bando and non-drum corps revunes out of it….leaving nothing for the activity that I poached…..and they’ll love me for it……..suckers’

be weary of any business running a non-profit and any non-profit act like a business

Me, if I won the lottery, I’d do what Camper Van Beethoven suggested buy all the girls on my block a silver plated six shooter and a quart of the finest highland scotch

So by this logic, anyone who turned a profit by being an entertainer is a charlatan and a fraud?? :lookaround:

Don't look now, but I think you just proved Kevin's point....

So by this logic, anyone who turned a profit by being an entertainer is a charlatan and a fraud?? :lookaround:

Don't look now, but I think you just proved Kevin's point....

what logic? you mean that little strawmen you just tossed out?

hardly

No, I don’t begrudge ‘artist’ from making money, lots of money

Are you saying Bill Cook was an Artist?

Maybe a rip off artist

I’m just giving a different context

People bemoan Star as the would of could of savior of DCI but really

All said and done, the bus company is still running, blast is still touring and Star, well that tax status sure made it easy to develop some other business ventures….you don’t think it’s just a coincidence that once the bus company finally started making money…Star folded?

Don’t worry, he leached off the rep of the Canadian brass for more creditability and their tour schedule and name….DCI weren’t the only ones played

Edited by cowtown