• Contribute to one corps; establish an endowment
    • Help several corps but focus big on one or two favorites
    • Help several corps of your choice equally
    • Smaller amounts to coprs I have other charities in mind
    • Give mostly to DCI or DCA parent organization
    • Give more to WGI guards and/or drum lines
    • Other

A fun topic for fantasy and dreaming.

If you won a large multi-million dollar lottery like the Mega Millions or Power Ball, when they're up pretty high, what would you for drum corps?

Lets assume you've established a portfolio for yourself/family and done some other charitable things for your church, community, etc. and now you've got a large amount designated for drum corps.

Have FUN!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would want to help out a struggling dca/dci corps that are in financial trouble. I rather keep the same corps around for a long time, instead of new corps popping up and folding after 2 or 3 years of being around.

Edited by Supersop08

En Garde would be in a better position, that's for sure.

I'd probably help some struggling corps as well.

And let me point out that Bill Cook DID do exactly what this poll implies....and look at the crap he AND Star got for it.

Not saying a lot of us wouldn't do it....most of us have said we'd involve the money in corps somehow....but I'd basically tell any detractors to go stuff it.

This is what I'd do if I actually won . . .let's assume I have about ten million to work with:

DCA needs the help as it moves from regional orgs to a national one; I'd take a few million to make that happen . . .working with sponsors and developing the DCA brand into something powerful . . . as well as financing putting the DCA championships on PBS for at least three years in a row. There's about 5 million gone.

Additionally, I'd use the rest to finance, invest and start up a DCA corps (in G) on the East Coast, pay a small stipend to each performer (500 bucks or so total, plus I'd try to get some sort of general college credit for marching for the college folks doing it) to attract the best players I could and have one hell of a lot of fun putting all the shows I've always wanted to see on the field.

Hire Scott Stewart as a program advisor; get Scott Boerma as brass arranger . . .Mark Thurston for percussion. Have a huge web presence: including DCP. :lookaround:

No dues to march, of course . . .although fund raising wouldn't hurt to offset the travelling expenses.

Each year would include either a trip out west in the summer to play at the California DCA shows or a trip to a DCJ show in the late fall (along with DCA championships, of course), along with creating several small ensembles to get the word out about the corps.

That's a good start, I think.

I would like to investigate the possibilities around a regional circuit. Corps could have a once a month practice schedule in the winter, then a few weeks in June to have death camp, then weekends only or short tour set up.

My focus would be having a "cap" on spending (staff, props etc) and really strive to put money towards education for kids and fan happiness. Expensive unis and bullcrap props would be frowned upon. Care of instruments would be key (so they can last several years), and safe travel for corps (no more junk buses and 15 hour hauls by single drivers). Building financially smart and sustainable corps would be my goal.

I would make Bob Jacobs of the Jersey Surf an offer he couldn't refu$e to run the program.

Big corps with ridiculous budgets and tour fees would be left out of the loop, I would refuse to be part of the DCI Arms Race. Also, I would award prize money to all corps that place 13th and lower, with 13th getting the least amount and last place getting the most.

Finally, I would throw my mu$cle around DCI and have more Open Class corps at the shows, including regionals. Also, the Open champ would perform in exibition before finals awards are announced.

I would help out various corps as needed, with special attention to the Cadets, of course.

I think strengthening the existing corps base first is the most important thing to do at this moment in time, given the economic situation of today.

Not on the list, but I would also help out marching members who are in real need of financial assistance so that they can march, with special emphasis on age-outs in their final year.

Finally, if there are DCI Open class startup efforts with a real chance of success, I would help them too, as long as they have the "back office" planning documentation (such as a solid business plan and medium/longer term fiscal plan) and personnel in place.