You Know You've done too much Drum Corps in your life when......

When yourself in a parking lot or park and can envision a hornline or drumline warming up there.....

This past Sunday.....parked on top of the Mickey and Friends structure at D-land....came out at midnight and there were only 5 cars....noticed light posts are really far apart and said this would be a great place to practice!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JUst out of curiosity, I just looked at a couple of guard equipment websites. They list the rifles by length, but none of them give the wieght of the rifles.

The reason I was looking for that information is that I can state factually that rifles now weight quite a bit less than they did 20/30/40 years ago. This kinda tags on to Puppet's post. It's much easier to throw a 6, 7 or 8 when the rifle only weighs 2 pounds. But I see a lot of lines use what I would label as crutch catches, and stepping out of their spot because the throw has gone out of control.

Garry in Vegas

I would expect that a lighter rifle is more apt to be affected by wind etc than the older heavier rifles.

.......You go to the ballet and start judging how they do or do not dance exactly the same as the rest of the troupe.

.......You watch ice skating or gymnastics and wish they would choreograph their routine to the music rather than jumping, spinning or tumbling at random points in the music.

:devil: I would rather watch WGI championships (this weekend, if you're interested) and see 5/8/12 people throw a six or seven in unison, or individually, with great technique and perfect rotations and have them all catch it solid. With a turn or jump underneath and catching in a daring position. It happens, often.

But more often than not ( with all that daring do going on under the rifle toss ) that weak-***ed crotch catch instead of the classic two handed insta-stop at port arms catch. And winter guard is indoors right? With those two pound plastic pieces of equipment - yes - no wind, no music hits to accent. Please don't let your WGI thing be a thread stopper. I was just having a fantasy about the past. Because after over 45 years I have done a lot of drum corps - maybe you, not so much.

But that's OK because maybe during the next 10 years someone might digitize some of the guard work (esp. rifles!) so that you can see for yourself the precision that I'm talking about and only imagine the preparation that went into their work - when the equipment wasn't just a molded piece of foam ...

Rifleman.jpg

But had some substance.

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic: You know you've done too much Drum Corps in your life when you take the time to share your knowledge and / or experiences when you really don't have to, but only because your love of the activity goes beyond your own skill set and you have become a student of every aspect therein - and can't seem to shut the heck up!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

When your friend says to you "gee, it sounds like you just want to wear a tux and sit and play" and you agree with him and say "yeah, I already do that anyway"!

when watching the opening ceremonies to the 2008 olympics, all you could think about was how dirty it was...

Or... where are the friggin' horns??? :devil:

OK, you go to your first corps show in 10 years to see if watching a show might interest you again. Six months, couple of emails, $200 in PayPal to buy a horn, lot of talks with the wife, LOT of swearing seeing if your lip can be resurrected and

you join your first corps in 19 years.... :doh:

But also with lipsprain on the number of funerals and friends with physical problems. :devil:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

when watching the opening ceremonies to the 2008 olympics, all you could think about was how dirty it was...

SORRY, FIRST OF DOUBLE POST - KEEP MOVING FOLKS, NOTHING TO SEE HERE ...

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

I agree! Terrible execution ...

BestGuardtoo.jpg

But the field coverage was awesome!

rotf-lmao!

No really, I am!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet