Best Bluecoats show ever

I would throw my vote in for '91 - I really wish that I had been able to march that year (I had a spot, just ended up having to take some courses over the summer). 1990 is great (good use of the first line of 3 valve contras), and of course, odd as it was, 1992 was a great show to march.

I think that 'Coats have been a great corps every year they've been around - always classy and entertaining. I could've marched pretty much anywhere I wanted to back in the day, and I never regret marching with Bluecoats...just that I didn't do it more years!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluecoats Quarterfinals 2007 was the single greatest hornline I've EVER heard. That show was incredible for the writing and performance of the music ensemble. Performance wise, this was my favorite.

My favorite Bluecoats show overall would be 2001, Latin Sketches.

This is for the Bluecoats only ... if you want to start your own similar topic for your own corps, please do!! They all should be fun!!

This might come down to "best corps" vs. "best show" for Bluecoats ...

Well, the highest they ever placed at Finals was 4th in 2006 in Madison with "Connexus."

Great show.

Their highest score ever was Finals in 2005 in Boston with "Caravan."

Great show.

They beat Blue Devils for the only time ever and Cavaliers for first time in 10 years during the season before "falling" to 7th at Finals in 2007 in California with "Criminal."

Great show.

But I still like 1995 when they did "Homefront: 1945" and finished 7th at Finals in Buffalo. If they had the complete overall talent they had in those recent years back then in the mid-1990s, that show might have been their best ever.

And who doesn't love the "Autumn Leaves" years of 1987 and 1988 (Bluecoats' first years in DCI Finals) and again in 1998!!!

And a personal "shout-out" to 1991 ... back when we didn't exactly have a "Title" for the show, but what a talented corps and under-appreciated show. "Palookaville" is one of the best tunes ever -- period!!!

What say you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Blllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I think of the Bluecoats I think of

Other nice shows

2007 real nice (Could do without narration)

2008 nice non-jazz show from them (Could do without narration)

Edited by Triple Forte

My favorite Bluecoats show is still thier 1987 production. Gritty corps with a lot of attitude, determination, a for sure top 12 destination, talent, and punch! Best arrangement of Autumn Leaves!

I also loved the long plumes they used to have!

On the flip side, 1990 is thier worst show ever. Extremely talented corps, very band-o show. Not a fan of the '90-'91 uniforms, either.

... Not a fan of the '90-'91 uniforms, either.

Off topic of best shows, but still on Bluecoats ...

Oh man, you didn't like those uniforms? I marched in 91, and I LOVED those uniforms!!

Now, I liked the change to dark blue tops -- but I don't like the recent change to dark blue pants. The "late 90s-early 00s dark blue tops with white pants" look is the best look for the Bluecoats in my opinion -- I really wish they'd go back to that. It was their unique look instead of looking like so many other "dark tops, dark bottoms" corps.

I still recall a small local show I went to in 2005 where they were on last after Kiwanis, Magic, Crossmen and Boston -- and people around me said out loud "Oh good, they're not wearing dark uniforms. I was getting tired of black pants."

I agreed then and I agree now.

My favorite Bluecoats show is still thier 1987 production. Gritty corps with a lot of attitude, determination, a for sure top 12 destination, talent, and punch! Best arrangement of Autumn Leaves!

I also loved the long plumes they used to have!

On the flip side, 1990 is thier worst show ever. Extremely talented corps, very band-o show. Not a fan of the '90-'91 uniforms, either.

Off topic of best shows, but still on Bluecoats ...

Oh man, you didn't like those uniforms? I marched in 91, and I LOVED those uniforms!!

Now, I liked the change to dark blue tops -- but I don't like the recent change to dark blue pants. The "late 90s-early 00s dark blue tops with white pants" look is the best look for the Bluecoats in my opinion -- I really wish they'd go back to that. It was their unique look instead of looking like so many other "dark tops, dark bottoms" corps.

I still recall a small local show I went to in 2005 where they were on last after Kiwanis, Magic, Crossmen and Boston -- and people around me said out loud "Oh good, they're not wearing dark uniforms. I was getting tired of black pants."

I agreed then and I agree now.

I actually liked our '87 show better than '88. Probably mainly because it was the second year in a row with the same five tenor players. And in '88 I really didn't particularly like playing the same four counts of music over and over again for nearly the entire second song. But I did like Autumn Leaves better at the end of the show in '88.

Could someone post a picture of the '90/'91 uniforms? I don't remember what they look like and the Bluecoats' website doesn't have picture from those years.