Eyeglasses while in uniform

ROFLMAO :worthy: I can relate to that. When I marched I was diagnosed with an astigmatism in my left eye (which means that the eyeball changed shape and the light doesn't focus directly on the retna - or so the doc said). Anyway, I was told that I needed corrective vision and had never worn glasses before in my life. I picked out polarized lenses that would change their tint (usually according to the temperature) and thought I looked like "Joe cool on campus". But alas all good things must come to an end. We had a parade before the season started and I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to wear them, which really put me in a twist because I'd just spent $250 trying to look like Elvis, and my vision wasn't that bad, but I had to marched without them - and this was just a parade! :smile:

I wore my glasses when I marched in Garfield, but sunglasses were a no-no.

If I had not worn my regular glasses...well, the term 'scatter drill' comes to mind! :smile:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately I am farsighted, and my vision is pretty good even without glasses, so I did every rehearsal and show without glasses. Reading music was a little more strenuous but thankfully you don't really do that on tour much. Not wearing glasses on the field went from a choice to the only choice when George Hopkins accidentally stepped on my glasses when he came in the gym to wake us in early 2006. CRUNCH. :worthy:

Any chance DCI or just a specific corps would someday partner with a glasses company to produce a standard "show glasses" for whoever needed them? Similar to the Army standard ones.

I wore my glasses when I marched in Garfield, but sunglasses were a no-no.

If I had not worn my regular glasses...well, the term 'scatter drill' comes to mind! :worthy:

Sounds like me...we had one drill set in "Latin Implosion" where I had to guide to my right...and I'm very near sighted in that eye. They had to change the drill slightly to accommodate me.

Sunsensors were not a prob....'course we only did 2 daylight performances...Whitewater prelims (when the staff's not going to carp over one show) and Disneyland....

Any chance DCI or just a specific corps would someday partner with a glasses company to produce a standard "show glasses" for whoever needed them? Similar to the Army standard ones.

Doubt it, everyone's face is different. What for some people would be the best glasses for the job would fog up something awful for somebody else, and most corps are trying to cut costs these days.

a couple of comments:

---sunglasses on the field only in vk? haven't any of you seen vk or the bridgemen???

---an astigmatism is a misalignment in refraction that causes light sources to blur slightly, and its usually caused by a slight misalignment in the curve of the lens or a pinhole in the iris, or colored part of the eye that allows a second light source pass the lens. a deformed eyeball would be a far more serious (and less common) type of problem, i think you misheard a bit of what the eye doc told you there.

---i wore glasses in my marching days. they were obligatory for me, i'm legally blind without them. they were thin wire frame glasses though, not real noticeable. but they could be dangerous, the '93 madison drillwriter decided that it would be cool if the contras marched backfield doing 3 to 5's and passed through the tenors (no, really) and one day in practice a tenor whacked me so hard that my glasses flew apart. literally, th screws holding the frames together all flew out, both lenses and both arms ended up on the ground in 4 different directions, and i had to leave vis. practice until we could scramble and find a glasses repair kit with a couple of extra screws to rebuild my glasses.

Fortunately I am farsighted, and my vision is pretty good even without glasses, so I did every rehearsal and show without glasses. Reading music was a little more strenuous but thankfully you don't really do that on tour much. Not wearing glasses on the field went from a choice to the only choice when George Hopkins accidentally stepped on my glasses when he came in the gym to wake us in early 2006. CRUNCH. :worthy:

Maybe he needed glasses to see your glasses?

Maybe he needed glasses to see your glasses?

See, that was the nice thing about getting my birthday snuggie in BD....the vets gave me time to clear a space so they DIDN'T smash my glasses...they came through fine...

my shorts, however..............

Sounds like me...we had one drill set in "Latin Implosion" where I had to guide to my right...and I'm very near sighted in that eye. They had to change the drill slightly to accommodate me.

Sunsensors were not a prob....'course we only did 2 daylight performances...Whitewater prelims (when the staff's not going to carp over one show) and Disneyland....

I have 20/200 vision in my left eye. Glasses won't correct it because it's literally a lack of vision, not a lack of focus, due to a lazy eye which we were not able to bring back up to full strength after surgery when I was 3. I actually wear glasses now to keep my good eye as strong as possible since, outside peripheral vision, it's all I've got, but I didn't wear glasses when I marched.

During the '93 season, the horn line was asked how many of us couldn't see the drum major during one point in the show. We were mainly on Side 1, which meant the DM was on my left, which also meant that I could only see an amorphous blob, so, naturally, I raised my hand. Those of us who did were immediately told to deal with it. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with that, especially since I had no tempo source at that point in the show.