Who will be the next to win?

When you think about it, it seems like more corps are competing for the top 3 than in the past few years. I know almost all corps staff members say "we're going to go for the gold this year" to pump up members, but it just seems like a lot more corps have a more serious tone in their voice when they use that hype. Granted, I've only known what drum corps is for a few years, but it seems like since I've discovered it, corps are either rising to the top, or folding.

"If I had to pick one I would say Blue Stars because of the staff they are putting together."

"...Maybe not next to win, but it very well could happen in the next 5 years or so."

That sure would be nice and a great feel good story for the drum corps activity; but, it's not going to happen.

Most of the top tier organizations have carried a consistant staff for a significant span of time, while the Blue Stars have been wrestling with staff consistancy year-to-year; therefore, this reflects on the style and identity.

Moreover, the percussion has been a drag on the corps scores since 2006. So, until they are able to muster a drumline worthy of the top 5, they will be held back. That's one constant that could use a change. Perhaps Aungst could take over the caption head duties.

My friend I have to disagree. The drum line may not have been the strongest section in the corps over any of the past 3 years, but what they HAVE done is show consistent and NOTICABLE improvement from year to year without exception. That is the right stuff, no matter how you look at it, and adding Aungst and Larivee (sp?) is just the icing on the cake. All reports are that again, the drum line is noticeably improved over the 08 line so once again they are doing all that can be asked of them, which is to get better, every year. Also, while I agree with you on the fact that they have experienced numerous changes and additions to staff in several positions over the past 3-4 years, I disagree with your stated result. I can't think of a single instance where a spot wasn't filled, or an addition made that didn't bring in more talent, experience, and credibility to the position being filled/added to. The formula within that organization just gets better and better, the only question is when the climb will level off.

Edited by BozzlyB

[sARCASM]

What?? Those guys don't know how to win! What has Aungst done lately? Or Van Doren and Sullivan? [/sARCASM]

If all it took was having people on staff who have won before (even many times), than there would be a lot more corps with championship trophies lining their shelves. It's nice to have that kind of experience on your staff, but it hardly means much unless so many other things fall into place.

When you think about it, it seems like more corps are competing for the top 3 than in the past few years. I know almost all corps staff members say "we're going to go for the gold this year" to pump up members, but it just seems like a lot more corps have a more serious tone in their voice when they use that hype. Granted, I've only known what drum corps is for a few years, but it seems like since I've discovered it, corps are either rising to the top, or folding.

eh... IMO top 3 is pretty entrenched with Cadets/Cavies/BD. The 4th "top 4 corps" seems to revolve somewhat, with SCV in the first part of the decade still high from their win in 99. More recently Phantom has moved up into the top 4 since 2004 (exception 2005, when Vanguard was higher). Bluecoats and Crown have borrowed the 4th spot in 2 years where Cadets tried to push the envelope a little too far and failed.

Crown within 4 years

Within three says me.

eh... IMO top 3 is pretty entrenched with Cadets/Cavies/BD. The 4th "top 4 corps" seems to revolve somewhat, with SCV in the first part of the decade still high from their win in 99. More recently Phantom has moved up into the top 4 since 2004 (exception 2005, when Vanguard was higher). Bluecoats and Crown have borrowed the 4th spot in 2 years where Cadets tried to push the envelope a little too far and failed.

Regiment started to be back in the top 4 in 2003, slipped to 5th in 2004, and has been in the top 4 ever since.

Edited by chaos001

Regiment started to be back in the top 4 in 2003, slipped to 5th in 2004, and has been in the top 4 ever since.

He probably meant

More recently Phantom has moved up into the top 4 since 2003 (exception 2004, when Vanguard was higher).

oooops.

Man, I even looked it up on corpsreps to make sure I had the right years. My bad.

My general point is that phantom is now the 4th member of the "top 4" along with BD/Cavies/Cadets from their work over the last half decade. Prior to Phantom SCV was the 4th member. Can Crown or Coats become the 4th member? I guess, but I think it will be awhile.