Got a Chance to Hear the Hurcs last night

Just a quick note - saw the Hurcs at their season kick-off dinner last night - a great time with a lot of the Hurricane legends - this is a corps that gets the historical implications of being a world-class musical group of more than 6 decades. Lot of good friends...

To the corps - even with some folks who were at proms - the line was huge - the 10 tubas are magnificent (people who know me know that I'm not prone to hyperbole).

The brass have a dark, rich sound that is reminiscent of the kind of intensely focused air that Phantom has always played with - really a great sound at f ff and fff (might have heard an ffff although my ears are still ringing). Percussion is rock-solid - the writing complex and exquisitely coordinated - the guard was looking young, and fit and sassy - can't wait to see what they add to this show.

It's not perfect, but then again it's not June either.

Jim Dugan is doing his dad proud with this group. If you're a Hurc fan you're in for a fun summer, if you're a Drum Corps fan, you're in for an entertaining summer, if you're a Hurc - hater - you're in for a long summer.

Peace.

Edited by rayfallon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, Ray!

I think it's great to see the Hurcs back in the thick of things as a championship contender. :laughing:

Fran

Ray,

I couldn't have said it better!

It was great seeing old friends and listening to the Hurcs Alumni speak-thanks for making yours a short speech, by the way.

It was even better hearing the show and Mag 7.

Great show, great group.

Good luck this year to all of my Hurricane brothers and sisters!

One of the highlights of the evening (besides the great music)-Corps song! :tongue:

Vi

:laughing:

Ray,

I couldn't have said it better!

It was great seeing old friends and listening to the Hurcs Alumni speak-thanks for making yours a short speech, by the way.

It was even better hearing the show and Mag 7.

Great show, great group.

Good luck this year to all of my Hurricane brothers and sisters!

One of the highlights of the evening (besides the great music)-Corps song! :tongue:

Vi

:laughing:

It was a funny nostalgic culture shock sort of evening with some of the authentic old-timers - by the way I think the kids love Bobbie Finley - your face won't get burned our of their tee-shirts, Bob - and so many of the really young talented kids. What a melt of old and new - all Hurricanes to the core. My wife pointed out that kids in the corps were busy texting during the ceremonies. Most of us only knew how to use the rotary dial phones - plus the one call that most of the old Hurcs knew about was the one the cops gave you after booking (kidding of course - mostly).

I was thinking with this hybrid of the old attitude and spirit and the new hip techie membership maybe the corps can revive an old slogan, but with a twist - anyone want to get a black tee-shirt with a lightning bolt and the words:

"Sit On My Facebook" ?????

Edited by rayfallon

Just a quick note - saw the Hurcs at their season kick-off dinner last night - a great time with a lot of the Hurricane legends - this is a corps that gets the historical implications of being a world-class musical group of more than 6 decades. Lot of good friends...

To the corps - even with some folks who were at proms - the line was huge - the 10 tubas are magnificent (people who know me know that I'm not prone to hyperbole).

The brass have a dark, rich sound that is reminiscent of the kind of intensely focused air that Phantom has always played with - really a great sound at f ff and fff (might have heard an ffff although my ears are still ringing). Percussion is rock-solid - the writing complex and exquisitely coordinated - the guard was looking young, and fit and sassy - can't wait to see what they add to this show.

It's not perfect, but then again it's not June either.

Jim Dugan is doing his dad proud with this group. If you're a Hurc fan you're in for a fun summer, if you're a Drum Corps fan, you're in for an entertaining summer, if you're a Hurc - hater - you're in for a long summer.

Peace.

Great post!!! I remember when..."ladies and gentleman from Shelton Connecticut..The Hurricanes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post!!! I remember when..."ladies and gentleman from Shelton Connecticut..The Hurricanes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar to those old Shelton days, there are no weak sections in the 2009 corps - the baris and euphs are dark and rich, I've already hit on the tubas - the mellos are brilliant, well-tunes, and articulate, the sops can play sweet and they can scream. The percussion battery is strong - they drum their ##### off, and the pit is both balanced and musical with writing that enhances the wind and bettery show without becoming extraneous or distracting.

Folks who like Copland (Can't imagine who that leaves out) will like both "Out Town" and "The Red Pony." The percussion feature is really well put together, and has some really cute wrinkles. Who does a barroom brawl like the Hurricanes? - don't know if that's programming or type-casting!

The opener is intense and high energy - there's going to be a number of situations where everyone in the stadium jumps up at once.

The thing that was sort of intriguing about this early exhibition - possibly the best I've ever heard this corps for this time of year - was that their 2008 undefeated guard wasn't involved - they just sat there looking good. Add them to the mix and it gets really interesting.

Mike Klesch's horn charts :shutup::shutup::w00t:

Honestly - if I didn't mean every word, I wouldn't write . These kids are good, and the Force is strong in them. I have no idea where they'll place, because I don't do prognostication - but they will disappoint NO ONE.

Similar to those old Shelton days, there are no weak sections in the 2009 corps - the baris and euphs are dark and rich, I've already hit on the tubas - the mellos are brilliant, well-tunes, and articulate, the sops can play sweet and they can scream. The percussion battery is strong - they drum their ##### off, and the pit is both balanced and musical with writing that enhances the wind and bettery show without becoming extraneous or distracting.

Folks who like Copland (Can't imagine who that leaves out) will like both "Out Town" and "The Red Pony." The percussion feature is really well put together, and has some really cute wrinkles. Who does a barroom brawl like the Hurricanes? - don't know if that's programming or type-casting!

The opener is intense and high energy - there's going to be a number of situations where everyone in the stadium jumps up at once.

The thing that was sort of intriguing about this early exhibition - possibly the best I've ever heard this corps for this time of year - was that their 2008 undefeated guard wasn't involved - they just sat there looking good. Add them to the mix and it gets really interesting.

Mike Klesch's horn charts :shutup::shutup::tongue:

Honestly - if I didn't mean every word, I wouldn't write . These kids are good, and the Force is strong in them. I have no idea where they'll place, because I don't do prognostication - but they will disappoint NO ONE.

[/quote

great to hear this...Hurricanes will disappoint NO ONE....I have an Historical question but I am reading the rules here and I guess I have to ask on the other board..this is reviews only!!! Have a great Memorial Day!!!! :w00t:

Ray

Thanks for the review. I hope to make it up for one of those Glory Day dinners soon to hear the corps legends talk.. maybe next year!!

I have heard great things thru the winter about the corps and your review sounds like the reports are absolutely true!! HYERBOLE??? understatement .. lol Heard your speech went wll also...

Look forward to seeing the PRIDE OF CONNECTICUT this summer.. and maybe you too ..

Ray

Thanks for the review. I hope to make it up for one of those Glory Day dinners soon to hear the corps legends talk.. maybe next year!!

I have heard great things thru the winter about the corps and your review sounds like the reports are absolutely true!! HYERBOLE??? understatement .. lol Heard your speech went wll also...

Look forward to seeing the PRIDE OF CONNECTICUT this summer.. and maybe you too ..

Vic,

Guaranteed to make it to see them somewhere - gotta see how this comes out.

Should be at the Barnum because of the BHoF (in the category of exciting but inexplicable honors) and should be wherever Bayonne is - I guess that means DCA, too.

We'll see how it all goes. Gonna be fun though.

Hyperbole is overstatement - hypobole would be understatement.

With a name like Kulinski, shouldn't you speak Greek?