Got a Chance to Hear the Hurcs last night

Vic,

Guaranteed to make it to see them somewhere - gotta see how this comes out.

Should be at the Barnum because of the BHoF (in the category of exciting but inexplicable honors) and should be wherever Bayonne is - I guess that means DCA, too.

We'll see how it all goes. Gonna be fun though.

Hyperbole is overstatement - hypobole would be understatement.

With a name like Kulinski, shouldn't you speak Greek?

I will be at Barnum, plus DCA.. so get a few chances to see them, Hoped to make TOS for Bridgemen, but unable to work it out with the also attending Bpt. and a few DCASouth shows.....

Greek?? cmon ..... you should know better after all those years .. with a name like Kulinski.. IRISH! ! :shutup:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray, thanks for the update on the Back to Glory dinner, as a real old time Hurricane, it brought on chills, who wants Finey's picture?, I remember when he came into the corps. I am sorry that I could not make it, but as I told Gabby, family and business obligations here in Florida took priority. I am anticipating getting to the Pride camp the first weekend of June and of course get to a Hurricane practice, I can't wait to see them.

Jim Dugan you are a chip off the old block, I marched with your Dad a long time ago, there is a lot of him in you and Dianne. Bernie and his staff have been doing an outstanding job in getting the coprs back to the top five. The green machine is getting on track and is ready to roll

SOMF

Bill S

Ray, thanks for the update on the Back to Glory dinner, as a real old time Hurricane, it brought on chills, who wants Finey's picture?, I remember when he came into the corps. I am sorry that I could not make it, but as I told Gabby, family and business obligations here in Florida took priority. I am anticipating getting to the Pride camp the first weekend of June and of course get to a Hurricane practice, I can't wait to see them.

Jim Dugan you are a chip off the old block, I marched with your Dad a long time ago, there is a lot of him in you and Dianne. Bernie and his staff have been doing an outstanding job in getting the coprs back to the top five. The green machine is getting on track and is ready to roll

SOMF

Bill S

Bill,

You're obviously correct about young Mr. Dugan having a lot of his dad in him (as does Dianne)... but it's even deeper than that. Certainly personalities just seem to permeate that corps. Luedee, Genero, Condon, Woods, Dennis Banks, Pepe, et al. I think you could say the Hurricanes have a lot of Jim Dugan Sr. in them.

Great post!!! I remember when..."ladies and gentleman from Shelton Connecticut..The Hurricanes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm old enough to remember that... LOL :tongue:

SOMF

Bill S

Ray, when I think back to the 60's as a young man believe or not I did not realize how good we were until I think the 64 World Open and from what I have heard and seen of the current corps you are quite right, there are a lot of similarities with this Hurricane version and the 60-70's version especially the work ethic and team work.

Ray, when I think back to the 60's as a young man believe or not I did not realize how good we were until I think the 64 World Open and from what I have heard and seen of the current corps you are quite right, there are a lot of similarities with this Hurricane version and the 60-70's version especially the work ethic and team work.

As a kid, I was first impressed by John Bodnar's drum quartet - which was simply amazing. As far as the corps goes - probably Rhapsody in Blue, and the Halleluiah Chorus were my favorite Hurc pieces. It's a little embarrassing now that I'm old, but after Mickey Mantle and Johnny Unitas, Joe Genero was probably my idol. Don't get me wrong - I was a Sasso guy and a Dreitzer guy as far as hornlines go, but Genero had such raw energy on the field, and it translated into the sound of the hornline. For me he was the first of the rock-star drum majors (that'll #### off the Bill Hooten and Jimmy McConkey or Allen Smyhe fans, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.) Getting to know him later on was a blast. Amazingly talented, smart, charismatic guy.

Bad guy to ever have to try to fill the shoes of, though, as I and others have learned...

I am excited to see them at Barnum. This is going to be a great year. I have heard nothing but good coming from the Hurcs Camp. Their show is well designed, and I cannot wait to see what they produce onto the field. Did anyone record them at Back to Glory? are their any previews of them? Id like to see a preview on their website.

I am excited to see them at Barnum. This is going to be a great year. I have heard nothing but good coming from the Hurcs Camp. Their show is well designed, and I cannot wait to see what they produce onto the field. Did anyone record them at Back to Glory? are their any previews of them? Id like to see a preview on their website.

Most of the Audience at the BTG dinner was around when dinosaurs marched the earth - for our crowd recording would have meant etching something on a cave wall with a sharp piece of rock.

Didn't see any new-fangled recording equipment.

Most of the Audience at the BTG dinner was around when dinosaurs marched the earth - for our crowd recording would have meant etching something on a cave wall with a sharp piece of rock.

Didn't see any new-fangled recording equipment.

hold on there..... i was there... are you calling me a dinosaur?.....................why i awta!!!!

As a kid, I was first impressed by John Bodnar's drum quartet - which was simply amazing. As far as the corps goes - probably Rhapsody in Blue, and the Halleluiah Chorus were my favorite Hurc pieces. It's a little embarrassing now that I'm old, but after Mickey Mantle and Johnny Unitas, Joe Genero was probably my idol. Don't get me wrong - I was a Sasso guy and a Dreitzer guy as far as hornlines go, but Genero had such raw energy on the field, and it translated into the sound of the hornline. For me he was the first of the rock-star drum majors (that'll #### off the Bill Hooten and Jimmy McConkey or Allen Smyhe fans, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.) Getting to know him later on was a blast. Amazingly talented, smart, charismatic guy.

Bad guy to ever have to try to fill the shoes of, though, as I and others have learned...

i wasn't going to post mut i really have to. jummpin joe was great but cmon hooten, mcConky , smythe, winky and russo were way over the top. even butch anderson . joe wa a great arranger and teacher an had a lot of energy as dm but he was not in the upper elite. i knew the man and yes i loved him but i'm trting to be honest and not letmy bias show. just my humble opinion.